Super Mario 64 (not the DS version)

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Not a "proper" Mario game? That sounds like it should always be the same, like they'd have to strictly follow the "code". Judging by how there's Mario Tennis, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros etc. etc. they focus more on the actual setting, characters and the characters' basic skills (Mario can jump high, etc.) rather than being 100% strict about how it should play. People will get tired of the games if a sequel just feels like a rehash, like what's happening to Pokemon now. Or (shudder) Madden.

For those people who don't mind playing more of the same stuff there are hacks. Like TSRPR.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

DaVince wrote:People will get tired of the games if a sequel just feels like a rehash, like what's happening to Pokemon now.
... you mean creating an epic revolution with every installment? :confused
Pokemon's not exactly the best example, because with that the formula works.

Spinoff games are one thing, and the mario RPGs will always be cherished. But Mario 64 and Sunshine were marketed as official installments to the main series and theyr'e completely different. Hmm... but so is Duke 3D, and I like that a lot. Now I'll just trail off and not make any point...
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

DaVince wrote: Paper Mario
Ah, now there is a good game. First RPG I ever played, in fact.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Spinoff games are one thing, and the mario RPGs will always be cherished. But Mario 64 and Sunshine were marketed as official installments to the main series and theyr'e completely different.
Exactly.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

CKeen wrote:
DaVince wrote:ìFor example, looking for enemies, suits, a certain feel of speed etcetera in M64 where it's a pretty different game from the NES and SNES games. That plus the Mario universe itself is so diverse you almost never see everything they thought up in the games in every game. (Yes, even at this point.)

They changed gameplay mechanics a lot, too. They played around, tried adding value (for example, the underwater breathing thing to add to the challenge). You could say it doesn't play like a Mario game at all. But hey, 3D was new, and Nintendo was experimenting with it. They had all freedom to make the game however they liked for all this new technology. Most people liked it, some may not, and those who expected a more traditional Mario were probably disappointed. Me, I think they did pretty well for one of their earlier 3D games.
This is exactly why I think this isn't a proper mario game.
It's as much a proper Mario game as Mario 2/USA...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

DHeadshot wrote:
CKeen wrote:
DaVince wrote:ìFor example, looking for enemies, suits, a certain feel of speed etcetera in M64 where it's a pretty different game from the NES and SNES games. That plus the Mario universe itself is so diverse you almost never see everything they thought up in the games in every game. (Yes, even at this point.)

They changed gameplay mechanics a lot, too. They played around, tried adding value (for example, the underwater breathing thing to add to the challenge). You could say it doesn't play like a Mario game at all. But hey, 3D was new, and Nintendo was experimenting with it. They had all freedom to make the game however they liked for all this new technology. Most people liked it, some may not, and those who expected a more traditional Mario were probably disappointed. Me, I think they did pretty well for one of their earlier 3D games.
This is exactly why I think this isn't a proper mario game.
It's as much a proper Mario game as Mario 2/USA...
Just the fact it wasn't made by Nintendo doesn't make it an unofficial mario game. Besides it DOES play like mario a lot, and to be fair that is where the controls and movement got good. The ones in the first mario game were rather awful.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

I'm attempting playing it all the way through at the moment...

I'm currently stuck on "tiny-Huge Island" though.

RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

CKeen wrote:Just the fact it wasn't made by Nintendo doesn't make it an unofficial mario game. Besides it DOES play like mario a lot, and to be fair that is where the controls and movement got good. The ones in the first mario game were rather awful.
Actually Doki Doki Panic was made by Nintendo, and Miyamoto probably spent a lot more time on it than the original Super Mario Bros 2.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

RoboBlue wrote:
CKeen wrote:Just the fact it wasn't made by Nintendo doesn't make it an unofficial mario game. Besides it DOES play like mario a lot, and to be fair that is where the controls and movement got good. The ones in the first mario game were rather awful.
Actually Doki Doki Panic was made by Nintendo, and Miyamoto probably spent a lot more time on it than the original Super Mario Bros 2.
If you're referring to the REMAKE, you're correct. But if you're referring to the original, unmodified game, I thought I was pretty sure that someone else made it and nintendo bought out their whole fucling company just to make a frankenstein out of their one game.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
RoboBlue wrote:
If you're referring to the REMAKE, you're correct. But if you're referring to the original, unmodified game, I thought I was pretty sure that someone else made it and nintendo bought out their whole fucling company just to make a frankenstein out of their one game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doki_Doki_Panic

Yeah, I was surprised too.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

BACK ON TOPIC PPLS >:

The game, remember?

...snap, i lost

Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I'm not sure where else the topic could go. The thread asked what people thought about it and people gave their opinions. Now the thread has splintered off about Mario 2...which actually isn't that off topic. Especially since comparing Mario 64 to its predecessors is almost inevitable when giving an opinion on the game.

So as far as I am concerned, until someone moves the topic forward with something else about Mario 64, or someone new comes on and gives their unheard opinion about the game, then being off-topic isn't all bad.

Maybe there's something else you could ask about Mario 64?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:...snap, i lost
Gaarrggghhh!!!!!! :garg :x

I was on a roll!
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

I lost!!!

But yeah, I just beat Bowser #3. CROWNING MOMENT OF AWESOME! Anybody else done it?

RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Yep, when I was twelve... on a horrible emulator with the keyboard.
It took so much practice to tap uprightdownleft fast enough that I still do it randomly, when my fingers are bored.