OpenRA!

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

OpenRA!

Post by Dynamo »

BECAUSE THE WAR IS NOT OVER...... YET.

CLICK ME

Free, open source engine for the C&C games that started it all, Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert! You don't even need the games to play!

It has full support for multiplayer, too! And obviously less crashes. Not all of the expansion units are yet but you are already able to unleash your tesla tanks!

What are you waiting for? Get playing already!!!
Last edited by Dynamo on Sun Oct 10, 2010 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

What CKeen said.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Even though it has been recommended to me several times (even by my sister), I have never actually played these games. Maybe this is a good time to start.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

No. It's too buggy. It's an alpha. It crashes the first game I tried to play. But if anyone is up for a game I may try it once again.

But I was thinking today, is there an actual sim city 2000 open source project going on?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

DaVince wrote:Even though it has been recommended to me several times (even by my sister), I have never actually played these games. Maybe this is a good time to start.
Oh man, you absolutely need to play 'em.
wiivn wrote:No. It's too buggy. It's an alpha. It crashes the first game I tried to play. But if anyone is up for a game I may try it once again.
Unfortunately yeah, it's buggy. I still have to see if it's playable or not though. Apparently the game crashes whenever a Hind is destroyed.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Hm. Maybe I'll try the original first, then.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Oh man that is so cool. I hope that team is still working on it until it's perfect (yeah I know). This owns the original RA by far, it's got to be completed.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

A new version was released today. Apparently they fixed the issue that was causing the game to crash all the time. Helicopters are now working correctly, too.

In other words, download it now.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've been playing for a while...

There are some roads, so I still earn money :P :crazy
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

oh man you got to be kidding. but good to know the engine doesn't crash with that many units onscreen.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Re: OpenRA!

Post by DHeadshot »

CKeen wrote:Free, open source engine for the C&C games that started it all, Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert! You don't even need the games to play!
The game that started it all was just called "Command & Conquer" - no subtitle, though it was re-released for Windows as C&C 95 (the original was DOS). I know all this is true because I have it - C&C 95 Deluxe (contains the DOS version too).

Oh, and if you want a free game based on that, there's always Empyrion...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

tulip wrote:oh man you got to be kidding. but good to know the engine doesn't crash with that many units onscreen.
lol imagine if it was a tower defense mod! :lol
Grimson
The Dragoner

Re: OpenRA!

Post by Grimson »

DHeadshot wrote:
CKeen wrote:Free, open source engine for the C&C games that started it all, Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert! You don't even need the games to play!
The game that started it all was just called "Command & Conquer" - no subtitle, though it was re-released for Windows as C&C 95 (the original was DOS). I know all this is true because I have it - C&C 95 Deluxe (contains the DOS version too).

Oh, and if you want a free game based on that, there's always Empyrion...
True, but even the original C&C95 manual has the subtitle "Tiberian Dawn" left in it. This is the reason why it's commonly known as such; it's an official title.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

New version. Now the repair/sell crash issue has been fixed. Also they removed audio on the main menu but it plays in game.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I just finished playing a round with CKeen and I think this is a GREAT port.

I was running in HD and everything went smooth. The game apparently uses the native desktop resolution for games which is cool, but if I could I would make my resolution half because clicking on a 3 pixel high character is kinda hard when they are all moving around, and the colors all sort of blend in together.

It was cool up until CKeen's server crashed right as I was about to kick some major tail. :dopefish
This is fun. I would like to play with others if you will. You don't need to download anything other than the install because the graphics are distributed to your computer on install.