Anyone Remember Captain Comic?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.

Who would win in a fight and why?

Commander Keen
78%
Captain Comic
22%

Total votes: 18

The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Anyone Remember Captain Comic?

Post by The Keen Commander »

I loved (and still love) Captain Comic I & II...did anyone else play them?

Oh, and also, just for kicks, who would win in a fight...Captain Comic or Commander Keen? :p

I'm tempted to go with Keen (assuming Galaxy capabilities), because his shots move faster and his pogo stick would make it pretty easy to avoid Blastola Cola, but Comic also has the teleport wand, hit points, and infinite ammo, so I think he wins, especially in an open area...would be an epic battle for sure though...(Mod idea anyone?) :begging
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

didn't even bother reading the post before voting.

I'm ashamed of you two >:
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

I still think Keen is better...kind of like I think Batman is better than Superman...but if Batman and Superman fought, no one thinks that Batman would win. :foot
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Depends, Captain Comic at the beginning of the game, only being able to have one onscreen shot would probably lose, because of slower movement, not being able to aim with his shots and weaker jumping abilities.
A fully powered up Captain Comic to the end of the game would possibly give Keen a hard time, he could just spam shots all over the screen, move faster, jump higher than before and all.

But in the end I'd ask: Why in the world would they fight each other? Aren't they on the same side essentially?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

In a fist fight, I'd be putting my money on the person who's balls have dropped.
In any other scenario, Keen FTW.
This is the same kid that defeated entire alien armies and saved the universe, so I think he could take on some purple-skinned geek who only released one mediocre game.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

But in the end I'd ask: Why in the world would they fight each other? Aren't they on the same side essentially?
They wouldn't...I just thought it was an interesting thought. And yeah, I'd agree with you...Keen would beat Comic at the beginning of the game easily.
This is the same kid that defeated entire alien armies and saved the universe, so I think he could take on some purple-skinned geek who only released one mediocre game.
Captain Comic may have been mediocre (I liked it, but hey, I'll admit its nothing special), but Captain Comic II (yes, there WAS a second one) is awesome.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Now that you mentioned, I have never played the second one. I didn't even knew there was a sequel. Will try it.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Captain Comic II???????

Mind=Blown :eek
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Captain Comic II???????

Mind=Blown
Yep, Its called Fractured Reality and its actually a lot longer than the original...long enough that it requires saving. And if you thought the orignal was difficult to find your way around in, well...you're in for some real fun here. :P It also includes some new objects/abilities, including a jetpack and the ability to swim, just to name a few.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I remember Captain Comic 1. I also remember not liking it. This was around the time I was already quite familiar with Keen 4, so yeah. :P
Wow look at me I'm lurking
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Yeah, obviously Keen is better, but Comic is still pretty neat. Compared to Keens 1-3, Comic 1 holds up better. You should check out Captain Comic II...its pretty good...and it has a puzzle element to it that makes it all the more gratifying.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I tried it and it was terrible. You shoot an enemy, it disappears, you move a little, turn backwards and the enemy appears again. What's the point of shooting at all if you're unable to kill anything? I didn't even manage how to open the chests.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Took me three years to realize he was a guy in a suit and that thing on his shoulders was his head through a helmet visor.

I once sat down for six hours straight playing the first screen, just shooting birds and getting points.

In a fight we have several things to consider; the most important thing being whose rules we're using. Most people seem to be going with 'both (Each character has the advantages they have in their own games, at the same time.) if we use one continuity's rules and not another's (No infinite ammo for example) then this will usually benefit the side we're working with.

Then there's what we define as a win, Keen now uses non-lethal weapons, does stunning count? What about lives? How many does each character have? Can they get more during the fight?

Can Keen save his progress mid-fight? Where will the battle take place?

I'm going for Keen though, he's quick on the trigger and can just leave Comic to be pecked to death by birds. (Or space pollen... or beach balls... seriously, with weaknesses like that, I think even the lowest setting of Keen's stunner might stop his weak heart.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Levellass wrote:Can Keen save his progress mid-fight?
Haha, that advantages wins big time.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

I still have the 2 Captain Comic games, and I like them as I did when I was a child :o

"Who would win in a fight and why?"

WEAPONS: CC's Blastola Cola needs some upgrades to be very powerful and decently useable, but he can also use some power-up items that Commander Keen can't use. On the other side, CK has the Neural Stunner that only stuns the enemy, but if he has the Raygun from Episode 1 or the Vorticon Hyperpistol, there's no game... uh, and he's able to aim :p

LIFE: CC has to lose health points before losing a life, and this prevents him to die instantly like CK does.

MOVEMENTS: CC has a jetpack in Fractured Reality, but CK has always had the POGO :o ... and he's more agile than Comic, which helps him a lot in difficult situations.

ADVENTURES: CC went on a forest, a lake, a space station, a cave, a warehouse, sneaked into a computer, crossed magic, dreamy, icy and technologic worlds, and got into a castle.
CK crossed isles of fire and tar, got into the Well of Wishes, sneaked into 2 space ships, went into disappearing cities, strange villages and tricky pyramids, crossed the terrible Caves of Oblivion and explored Mars, not forgetting that he passed through the entire Fribbulus Xax planet only to search his babysitter.

I think CK will win without problems...
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."