Lemmings.

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Well, after hearing things about this game for years, I finally downloaded a copy of Lemmings (the original one) and started playing. It's pretty fun, different sort of concept in a game - I've finished the first 13 levels of the 'fun' set, so I still have a long way to go.

As for the copy protection thing, I believe the copy I downloaded was cracked. :pirate
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Does anyone know of Pingus? I't s a free software "clone" of Lemings.

Although, as most clones, they end up going thru their own path and quit being a mere clone. They acquire free will and new tricks.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Never heard of it before, but I'm also a bit sick of all these penguin games, so I won't try it, either. It's uninventive, but I guess it's not meant to be anything else.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

"all these penguin games"? How many are there?

Maybe I don't hang around Linux sites enough ... :crazy
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't hang around them at all, but whenever I accidentally hear somewhere about Linux games it's always something with penguins in it, such as Tux Racer or whatever and that platform game, Super Tux or something. :barf And now this...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Same reason all you see on TV is war, taxes and telemarketing. You've gotta look elsewhere/deeper if you want to find something with substance. There are plenty of good Linux games that don't have anything to do with penguins. And there are at least fewer Linux games involving penguins than there are in the raped Mario Bros. franchise.

While I'm here, guess I'll formulate a reply to the original topic.

Lemmings was one of my obsessions around the age of 10. I wasn't that good at the game (and I'm still not), but the concept fascinated me. They featured in a lot of my stories and drawings, and the games I played with other kids. At school I made a series of Lemming stamps and a Lemming currency, which were unfortunately disposed of while I was out of state for a few months. Though I returned to find some (now dead) ants I'd left in a lunch box still waiting for me. Yeah... wonderful. I'm still angry about that.

Some time later, I and one of my cousins constructed a bunch of plasticine Lemmings, which were to feature in a stop-motion film. That was abandoned when time came to film and we realised just how difficult it was going to be using a standard video camera.

Anyway, a fun game that I shall play some more when I've copied it over to my DOS Beast. The music is just as strongly nostalgised as games from my 386 era such as Keen, Tyrian and Duke Nukem II.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

KeenRush wrote:I don't hang around them at all, but whenever I accidentally hear somewhere about Linux games it's always something with penguins in it, such as Tux Racer or whatever and that platform game, Super Tux or something. :barf And now this...
Wesnoth is one of the best Linux games I've seen (and helped in development!) so far, and there are no penguins in there. No anti-Microsoft references, or anything that would call for Linux freaks*.

(*): Actually, I'm the first developer of that project who uses Linux but cares about the program's usability on Windows Vista.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

Lemmings rocks!
I spent a lot of time training my brain with Lemmings back in the day.
I remember thinking there were cyclops Lemmings, because in the menu screen some (or at least one) only shows one eye.
Of course I knew about the fantasy variant before I ever heard of the real life Lemming.

I remember visiting a friend with an Amiga on which Lemmings had some two player levels, with some blue-haired, green-tunic'ed Lemmings for the second player, and coming back home, fruitlessly trying lots of things to get into that mode on my DOS PC.
Two mice wouldn't even work back then, but still.
(I now know at least one program that lets you control two mice independently.)

There were only two-or-so levels I never could finish.
I remember my dad actually liked this game too.

"Oh No!" was nice as well, a whole new set of levels and themes.
Then Lemmings 2 I never really got into, or Whole New World, and then the 3D version pretty much sucked.
Revolutions was OK I think, but I never really played anything after "Oh No!".
Lots of good Lemmings memories here.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Commander Spleen - How could you play Lemmings-related games with your friends? "Here, just close your eyes and walk. If I tap your shoulder stop. If I tap it again go. If you bump into someone, turn around." :eek Screw 'trust falls', let's play Lemmings ... In Real Life!
bp
Vortininja

Post by bp »

I almost forgot about that game! I have it on my computer, played it on DOSBox. I also have an emulation of it for my palm pilot.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Lemmings 2: The Tribes is about the best game ever made*, IMHO. :p

* that wasn't a platformer
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I also loved lemming 1 & 2, although I found almost two thirds of all the lemmings levels too hard, I never made it through many levels.
But I still like to play the easier ones from time to time.

But what was going on in the minds of the Lemmings Win 95 makers?
How could they leave out half of the original levels, and think no one would notice?! >:
Generally Lemmings 95 would be nice to play because you have 2 detail levels and you can choose all the levels you have made already without having to keep all the Passwords, but there were just too many levels missing.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

There's not that many. IIRC only six from the original game were missing... the "We All Fall Down" from Fun, the "All The 6s" level, and the special graphics one. Not too sure on Oh No More Lemmings though.

Apart from the special graphics ones, and "Introducing Superlemming", though, I have no idea /why/ they're excluded - the level data is there, it's just that the level isn't listed in the game's level database.
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

lol

Post by GoldenRishi »

I spent many hours playing Lemmings as kid.

It felt like there was close to a billion levels though, I could never figure out how to get passed one of those levels. (The one with 1 or 2 bricks only, 5 lemmings, and you have to save all of them and get them across a long fissure; I could never do it)
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

LJH wrote:There's not that many. IIRC only six from the original game were missing... the "We All Fall Down" from Fun, the "All The 6s" level, and the special graphics one. Not too sure on Oh No More Lemmings though.

Apart from the special graphics ones, and "Introducing Superlemming", though, I have no idea /why/ they're excluded - the level data is there, it's just that the level isn't listed in the game's level database.
I think "Introducing Superlemming" wasn't there because of the way computers have advanced...

Basically, that level unlocked the speed throttling that the game implemented. Rather than running at the default speed of, say, 24 frames per second or whatever, the game just flew through at whatever your raw processor speed was.

Back in the day when 286/386/486 computers were standard, that wasn't so bad--on some computers, the SuperLemming would move slightly faster... on others, he'd be a blur of pixelated suicide.

If you did the same raw processing speed on a MODERN computer, the level would be over as soon as the hatch opened, or something like that. :)

I remember "Introducing Superlemming" being a really lame level, anyway.