Gaming discussion with CKeen

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

MOM4Evr wrote:
CKeen wrote:Back on topic, please.
Okay then. :P
Now that I've played Doom 1 some, I can say more why I don't like it a lot. The graphics are a bit dark, which I don't mind too much, except for that makes me unable to see what's going on, even with my laptop screen at full brightness. Romero's traps were plain evil (ARGH, THE LIGHTS WENT OUT!), which is kinda annoying for folks like me who think they know what they're doing. The maps were confusing (a lot of fps games are hard to get around until you've played the game over and over), and the sound effects were a bit creepy, probably due to limitations of sound cards at the time. And those zombies just look too much like real people. But that's just my personal take. I can see how you like it, however. The gameplay was fun, and less clunky than I imagined from other fps games around that time frame. It wasn't dizzying at all, like I imagined it would be.
But you say Doom 2 is better, so maybe I'm only half correct here. ;)
Doom 2 is definately better. ANd about the game not being "clunky", you have to remember that Id was known for their revolutionary gameplay techniques and their creation of new software. They would probably have a superior FPS engine too...
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Doom 2 is only better from a technical standpoint. Doom 1 has the better story, better atmosphere, more fun levels, and doom 2 just gets repetitive and dull after a while (And TOM sprinkled a little bit of his magic pixie dust on doom 1 but didn't have anything to do with doom 2).
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

GARGapplesauce wrote:I've played the shareware version of doom... it bores me, and I like keen better.
The first episode of doom gets rather dull after a while.
MOM4Evr wrote:The graphics are a bit dark, which I don't mind too much, except for that makes me unable to see what's going on, even with my laptop screen at full brightness.
I haven't played DOS doom in ages. The anti-aliasing version doesn't have this problem.
MOM4Evr wrote:Romero's traps were plain evil (ARGH, THE LIGHTS WENT OUT!), which is kinda annoying for folks like me who think they know what they're doing
That is john romero for you. Besides, without those, the game would be extremely boring imho, as there would be nothing to kill the repetitiveness.
MOM4Evr wrote:The maps were confusing (a lot of fps games are hard to get around until you've played the game over and over)
It MAY get confusing at times, but once you've played as many shooters as I have you wouldn't define doom 1 "confusing" :P
MOM4Evr wrote:and the sound effects were a bit creepy, probably due to limitations of sound cards at the time.
I dunno, most of them are taken from camels and elephants from what I know.

MOM4Evr wrote:And those zombies just look too much like real people.

I never bothered about this, not even when I was 3 :p
MOM4Evr wrote:I can see how you like it, however. The gameplay was fun, and less clunky than I imagined from other fps games around that time frame. It wasn't dizzying at all, like I imagined it would be.
Does that mean you liked it? :)

Also, other FPS games around that time frame? Examples?
MOM4Evr wrote:But you say Doom 2 is better, so maybe I'm only half correct here. ;)
Doom 2 has a way different atmosphere, way more "sludgy" and less dark. I like the levels better, however.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:more fun levels, and doom 2 just gets repetitive and dull after a while
Not at all. Doom 2 levels are way more diverse and interesting, albeit not as "realistic".
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

CKeen wrote: I dunno, most of them are taken from camels and elephants from what I know.
Yes they have canned sound effects. A lot of them show up on TV shows and movies also. Such as the Camel moaning sound and the water dripping sound found in Quake is used for most every cave scene in movies from 1990 and into 2000.

So they probably just buy into the same sound effects package, cheaper than recording your own sounds. Or programing in your own Bloops/Bleeps.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

CKeen wrote:I haven't played DOS doom in ages. The anti-aliasing version doesn't have this problem.
Ah, ok. Didn't realize that. Thanks for the tip.
CKeen wrote:Does that mean you liked it? :)
Also, other FPS games around that time frame? Examples?
Yep, I liked it pretty much, but not enough to play it for hours on end, which I hope you understand. I played all the way through until I encountered those tough guys in the last level, which is saying a lot for my attention span.

And I'd just played a couple 3D fps games from that era- SlobZone (aka Hurl), which has pretty dizzying controls and not-too-smooth animation. Also the maze screen saver from Windows 95/98 came to mind, which is pretty dizzying also. A couple other demo games I've played... the only ones that had nice controls and weren't dizzying were a couple demo engines created by jc/op (coincidentally, these engines formed the basis for the modern GameStudio engine). John Carmack is an awesome programmer, and I was surprised at how advanced of gameplay controls he was able to create.

As for the other stuff, yeah, we talked about that all on IRC, and I understand entirely. Just posting here so everyone could know my final take on this "Gaming Discussion with CKeen." ;)
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

mortimer wrote:
CKeen wrote:The first episode of doom gets rather dull after a while.
I never really got into Shores of hell. It was just a bit... samey.
I thought it was way better than the first episode. More colorful and better level design.