Corridor 7: Alien Invasion TC for Doom

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Vermil
Grunt

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion TC for Doom

Post by Vermil »

"Corridor 7: Alien Invasion" was a game made by Capstone Software in 1994 using the same engine used to power ID Software’s Wolfenstein 3D.

Corr7TC aimed to "reimage" Corr7 on the Doom engine using the Doomsday source port, specifically a stand alone version of Doomsday v1.8.6.

The aim was to add more variety to and polish the original games game play, whilst keeping the spirit of the original game. I suppose it's a sort of a remake using the original games resources.

And here is the download link:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... 7tcv12.zip

###CORR7TC INSTALLATION###

1. Unzip somewhere keeping folder paths intact.
2. Place your Doom2.wad (not supplied) in "Data/JDoom"
3. Run Corr7TC.bat (it runs JDoom.exe with a couple of suitable command line options)

###CORR7TC STUFF###
  • *All the single player maps including secret and death match maps from the Disk and CD versions of Corr7.
    *All the bad guys and weapons from the original Corr7, except the mines as I ran out of weapon slots (I personally never used them in Corr7 anyway and they seemed out of place in such an FPS.
    *All the Music from both the Disk version in midi format, courtesy of Adam Biser.
    *Reconstructed CD maps; Capstone evidently were aiming for a certain style with the original maps. But the end results were simply not that much fun to play. I have reconstructed (i.e. heavily modified) the maps in an attempt to improve their game play while still staying true to Capstone's idea for them.
    *Rebalanced bad guys and weapons to add some variety; in the original game most of the weapons and bad guys have such similar stats that they might as well have been the same bad guy or weapon.
    *Pretty much every feature of Corr7 is present in the TC in some way from ammo dispensers to health chambers.
    *Most levels have one or two of about 8-9 simple objectives inspired by Corr7's plot.
    *Lighting, dynamic lights and a bunch of other visual stuff Doom and Dday can do that the Corridor7 engine couldn't.
    *Customizable visuals; switch on/off lighting, coloured lighting and plane textures with the bank of switches on each map.
###SCREENSHOTS###

###MULIPLAYER###

Corr7TC comes with retooled versions of all eight of Corr7's death match maps; they can, unsurprisingly, be found on Map01-08. Map09 features a second version of DM Map 1 that is a bit closer to its, erm, "inspiration".

The original Corr7 supported up to 8 players and Dday 1.8.6 supports 16. However I don't think any of the maps are really large enough for more than 4 players. Like the original game, there is no Co-op in the TC.

###KNOWN ISSUE###

Certain Infine (on screen pop-up’s) intentionally take's keyboard control and mouse button control away from the player whilst being displayed. However they do not disable mouse movement or any button commands already being entered before the pop up appears, due to an oversight by Doomsday Engine's developers. This allows players to move around using the mouse, whilst these pop up's are being displayed, when they shouldn't.

Still this can't really be taken advantage of since one is not going to get far with their fire, use (open door's etc), strafe (side step) etc button's disabled.

###WHY STAND ALONE?###

Its stand alone, not because of heavy source modifications to Doomsday, but because it leans heavily on a small modding feature added in the 1.9 Betas of Doomsday. However the 1.9 Betas are, as of writing, in no state for running non Vanilla Doom mods on. Hence I had no choice but to back port the feature back to 1.8.6 and in the process make the mod stand alone. Which of course means the TC doesn't look quite as good as and lacks a couple of features it could have (1.8.6 is after all getting on in years now, both visually and feature wise).

Once the 1.9 betas become more suitable for mods, I might release a standard Doomsday mod version of Corr7TC.

###CORR7TC SLIDE SHOW PACK###

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... tccs12.zip

Included in the above optional PK3 add on for Corr7TC, are slide shows made out of Corridor7: Alien Invasion's four cut scenes:

1. Spinning Capstone Logo when one starts the game
2. Introduction
3. Disk version ending
4. CD version ending

Bear in mind that these are extremely memory intensive; making a slideshow with the animation of a cut scene is, er "inappropriate" to say the least. But I decided to include them any way I could, out of completeness.

Too install, place the included PK3 in "Data/JDoom/Auto" where the main Corr7TC.PK3 is. Then run Corr7TC.bat as one normally would to start Corr7TC.

###CORR7TC MP3 MUSIC REMIX PACK###

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... tcmu12.zip

This optional add-on contains remixes of 11 Corr7 tracks by Alextheuser. These are proper remixes, not just the tracks with non synth samples. I've labelled it "v1.2" to remain consistent, even though in reality the add-on's, are not linked to any version of the TC.

Install instructions are the same as the Slide Show add-on.
Last edited by Vermil on Thu Feb 24, 2011 22:46, edited 4 times in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

We already had a discussion about corridor 7, and agreed that it was terrible. You're on the wrong forum buddy.

AND FOR FUCL'S SAKE WHY DOES THE DOOM COMMUNITY WASTE THEIR TIME REMAKING THIS CRAPPY GAME AND IGNORE SHADOWCASTER HUH?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Don't think I was part of that discussion. I've never played Corridor 7, and thus have no opinion as yet.

Those screenshots actually look pretty nice though. I'll add it to my Pandora list (I assume this engine should run on it...)
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Re: Corridor 7: Alien Invasion TC for Doom

Post by Dynamo »

Vermil wrote:Corr7TC aimed to "reimage" Corr7 on the Doom engine using the Doomsday source port, specifically a stand alone version of Doomsday v1.8.6.
Why doomsday? It sucks. Use GZDoom or something or this won't go anywhere.

VikingBoyBilly wrote:We already had a discussion about corridor 7, and agreed that it was terrible.

So? Who cares? He's free to do what he wants with modding
VikingBoyBilly wrote:You're on the wrong forum buddy.

No you.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:AND FOR FUCL'S SAKE WHY DOES THE DOOM COMMUNITY WASTE THEIR TIME REMAKING THIS CRAPPY GAME AND IGNORE SHADOWCASTER HUH?
Go make a shadowcaster TC and don't complain then.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I already had a discussion about corridor 7, and agreed that it was terrible.
FTFY

Anyway, looks good! I can't play it just now but the screenshots look nice. I agree with CKeen though, you should make this in GZDoom since it's much more flexible, widely used, etc.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

StupidBunny wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:I already had a discussion about corridor 7, and agreed that it was terrible.
FTFY
For the first year? garg! You kids and yer new fangled acronyms i cant understand.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Vermil
Grunt

Post by Vermil »

A bug with the med kit stations was found by someone (thanks soft_haxorz).

Hence, here is a new version of the TC with it fixed; it was little more than a typo in a definition:

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... 7tcv12.zip

I also fixed a texture alignment mistake on Level11 :p

Even though, there are no differently named files and such, I'd still recommend a fresh install rather than directly overwriting the old version.

Save games made with the old version of 1.2 should be fully compatible with this new version; just copy them across (they can be found in "Run/JDoom/Savegame/Doom2").

I've updated the link in the first post.
Vermil
Grunt

Post by Vermil »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:We already had a discussion about corridor 7, and agreed that it was terrible.
Having looked at that "conversation", I found it was something like two posts, one of which was you saying the game sucked and another by someone else saying the aliens looked goofy.
CKeen wrote:Why doomsday? It sucks. Use GZDoom or something or this won't go anywhere.
And nope, I will not make the remake the mod for GZDoom just to save a fan-boy the "heartache" of downloading another port (which happens to be included with the Corr7TC download).
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Vermil wrote:And nope, I will not make the remake the mod for GZDoom just to save a fan-boy the "heartache" of downloading another port (which happens to be included with the Corr7TC download).
A fan-boy? :\ Look, lemme ask you a simple question, for how long have you been modding doom?

GZdoom has waaaay more features than doomsday and is therefore a lot more suitable for modding as opposed to doomsday which is mostly for the original doom games if you want uber-graphicz. In fact doomsday is an absolute abomination for anything modding-related and is not nearly on par with ports like gzdoom/edge/eternity/etc. If you want your mod to be actually taken seriously you have no other choice but to switch ports. In fact I am surprised people still use doomsday nowadays :\

However it appears you did a good job with the map/overall rip. I never played the original game but this sounds fun enough to be worth playing online. Again, if this was gzdoom-compatible it would be possible to play it online on skulltag that has like a netcode that is like 5000x times better than doomsday's. I sincerely hope you'll change your mind regarding the port.
DavidTWynn
Meep

Post by DavidTWynn »

Re Corridor 7TC - on level 4, the game refuses to move past the electric barrier at the end of the long hall. After leaving the elevator, killing all aliens in sight, then proceeding along the long corridor, I need BLUE ACCESS which cannot be obtained until I go through the electric barrier, behind which is an alien with his back to me. Perhaps Vermil can help if he is there? :p
Vermil
Grunt

Post by Vermil »

I'm afraid that I can't reproduce any bug with the force field door you mention.

It should open the same way as all the others (press to the side of the card slot).

EDIT: Problem was due to user error rather than anything wrong with the TC and was solved via email.
DavidTWynn
Meep

Post by DavidTWynn »

Re Corridor 7TC

Has anyone experienced a segmentation violation error in level 20? It can occur at any times but in particular when using the space bar to open doors.

David
Vermil
Grunt

Post by Vermil »

That is a randomly occurring, but extremely rare bug with Dday 1.8.6's plane move XG; near all the doors on level20-30 in Corr7TC use plane move XG. Near no doors and planes on level1-20 use plane move XG.

It occurs (for me) if one plays a few levels in succession that extensively use plane move XG (like levels 20-30 in Corr7TC). If one makes a point of quitting and re-launching Dday 1.8.6 every few plane move XG extensive maps, one shouldn't get the crash.

From playing with things several times during making the TC I concluded that it is a bug within Dday 1.8.6 itself.

Hopefully the bug will be fixed when the 1.9 betas become mod capable again, since I will probably update Corr7TC to a standard mod then. Any positive or negative feedback on the current release anyone feels like giving is appreciated.