The Wolfenstein for Doomsday mod

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Vermil
Grunt

The Wolfenstein for Doomsday mod

Post by Vermil »

WolfTC - A Wolfenstein3D TC for Doomsday.

WolfTC is neither a total remake or exact copy of Wolfenstein 3D, however it will (ultimately) mimic all the features of Wolfenstein3D. As WolfTC is being made specifically for Doomsday it makes use of the additional features that come with it by enhancing the Wolfenstein experience with enhanced graphics and sound (these are optional of course). Our work on WolfTC is based on Laz Rojaz’s WolfenDoom (with permission). Though in all honesty, you can’t tell that anymore.

Screenshots of WolfTC (showing our current work-in-progress) can be found http://album.yaa.dk/main.php?cmd=album&var1=Vermil

Current Features:

GAMEPLAY:
WolfTC attempts to imitate Wolf3D's game play as completely as possible. Though the aim isn't to try to force Wolf's game play on the Doom engine where it doesn't work. In these cases there have been some alterations to the feel (as tiny as possible of course).

The TC has also added about three optional new foes along with the Console Wolf weapons (Flame Thrower and Rocket Launcher), again optional, to all other level set's in the TC. However, regarding the new foes, We haven't done what many ZDoom map authors do and just stick half the content of the infamous "monster resource wad" in just for the hell of it. We have tried to give careful consideration that most (a couple aren't very creative and we would like to replace them if possible) of the new bad guys require unique tactic's to defeat and fit both Wolf3D and the level set that they are for.

LEVELS:
WolfTC features all the levels from all the official versions of Wolf:
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Spear of Destiny
  • Spear of Destiny Mission Pack 1
  • Spear of Destiny Mission Pack 2
  • Console Wolf Maps
It also features a handful of minor PC Wolf Mods:
  • Betrayal in Istanbul 1
  • Betrayal in Istanbul 2
  • Operation Mutant Strike 1
  • Operation Mutant Strike 2
  • Schabb's An Evil Lunatic
  • Mutant Blob’s From Uranus 3D
These are deliberately not mods with considerable, if any coding differences to Wolf3D because they are not the focus of the TC.

MULTIPLAYER:
WolfTC will come DM and Co-op ready thanks to Dday's existing multiplayer. Though multiplayer isn't the primary focus of the TC so currently it is not intended that much, if any, content specifically designed for it will be released with the TC itself (There has been some toying around with a DM specific weapon set). In short, this one will be left to the community (if there turns out to be any interest in WolfTC :p).

VISUALS:
Customizable visuals: disable light levels, colored lighting, flats and much more, all as separate entities (i.e. they can all be disabled separately from each other). Completely done using Dday’s Ded definitions and XG rather than through “coding”. Some of these are almost hardcoded to the maps in the TC, however many can be used with any potential future level set’s as well.

Several texture set's to make the TC look like almost any version of Wolf out there: from PC Wolf, SNES Wolf to 3DO Wolf. The TC also includes its own optional hi-res texture set. As with textures, the TC also allows the choice of PC Wolf sprites or Console Wolf sprites.

AUDIO:
Along with all the sounds from all the level set's in the TC (which is a given), the TC also features many of their soundtracks with the rest being worked on. The TC also includes optional new (the individual tracks have been taken with credit from other sources) soundtracks for its level set's that originally don't come with their own (i.e. they have no new music).

The TC also includes a new MP3 soundtrack (optional once again) that attempts to improve the ambience of the maps in ways that the old IMF format couldn't.

WHAT WE NEED HELP WITH:

AN ARTIST:
WolfTC is intended to feature exaggerated cartoon images to depict the various plot scenes of PC Wolf (we're not intending to over stretch to the other level set's atm, though maybe once the PC Wolf is done). An example of the lovely Dr Schabb’s can be found over at the WolfTC screenshot’s page, though 99% of the images also have backgrounds, which said picture doesn’t show.

The TC does have an artist; however they have very little time at the moment and the relatively far future because of real life issues. They have completed EP1-3 of Wolf (well bar a single picture). We are looking for someone who can do EP4-6 and SOD. A second artist also means the workload can be shared, which is good for all.

A SPRITE ARTIST:
As mentioned in the game play section, we would like to implement a couple of new bad guys to replace some existing new ones that we feel don’t meet the required standard. I’m sure many of the TC’s sprites could stand to be smartened up as well.

A PROPER CODER:
The TC has never really had a proper coder to do some of the more advanced things we wish to implement in the TC. We have managed to do some of the very low level coding such as 99% of the bad guy attacks (bad guys shooting through other bad guys for instance) and such (note things like the "Visuals" are done via Doomsdays ded's rather than by coding).

The primary thing's regarding coding that we need to sort out are upgrading to Dday 1.9 (which is currently in Beta, the TC is currently based of Dday 1.8.6) and a use for Treasure (i.e a score). Secondary features that aren’t essential include the addition of more key types (more to clean up the TC’s internal’s than a requirement). Things like sliding doors would be nice, but they are not considered essential and holding the TC up, so to speak.

Current Team Members
Alextheuser: Sound/Music and optional MP3 Soundtrack
Vermil: Mapper, Coordinator
Zaceron: Artist, part time

Former Team Members
Doom Jedi: Sprites
Juan Alva Guerra: Music
Ton80: Misc work

Special Thanks To
Dani J: Deng Developer
FreeLanZer: Creator of the TC's optional Hi-res Textures and Patches
Last edited by Vermil on Thu Apr 03, 2008 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Well, it doesn't look bad, but this board isn't likely the best place to recruit new members for the project.

Especially as people might not like Wolf that much because it made TUIT not appear. :evil
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

This sounds like a neat project. I'm not the biggest Wolf 3D fan, but I do appreciate work like this. I'd definitely be intrigued to see multiplayer Wolf, even though it seems you don't rank it as a high priority.

If I was more into Wolf 3D, I'd definitely be able to contribute some graphical work. Nonetheless, if you'd like to send some more detailed information to jimage aT G mail d0t com (or send me a PM on this forum), I might very well find some inspiration to SVG an enemy or something, or maybe whip up some textures. No promises, though.
Vermil
Grunt

Post by Vermil »

Indeed, I am aware of the primary subject of this board and that Wolf3D was technically made instead of a third Keen trilogy. Though anyone who holds a grudge against the former because of that really shouldn't, as both are great games/series.

I was informed that this board, despite it's primary subject was a suitable place of capable people to discuss about and ask for assistance regarding projects related to classic games. So here I am :p

We haven't really looked into optional new wall textures, though the TC does include optional scenery graphic variant's (nothing major, just enough so there is a little difference between one hanging skeleton and the one next to it), flat's and basically everything else visual.

It's interesting how people outside of a team can suggest the obvious thing said team missed. I can think of a way to add such a thing without it getting in the way of future expansion. But it is more important to finish existing features/things rather than start on new ones, even if I do have a bit of time to look at such a feature. Obviously top requirement is the afore mentioned proper coder.

Certinally though, we would really like a sprite artist(s), rather than a texture artist, who could possibly make a couple of non-boss bad guys (which means at least 5 angles), and possibly touch up a few other sprites as well because I am a very very poor substitute for a real sprite artist.

Some ideas for said new bad guys that I personally have come up with are dual pistol wielding female guards (in good taste mind, nothing dodgy) for the end of EP5, chemical spray firing guards for EP6 and early attempt's at Mutant's. If you know your Wolf plot, you'll know why I mention specific episodes for them.

Still, there just ideas. Nothing any potentional sprite artist that joins the team would be forced to make. I'm sure everybody has thier own ideas.

EDIT: Hmmm, this post turned out pretty long, guess I got carried away. Sorry for those who have no interest in such details.
oesermaatra0069
Meep

Post by oesermaatra0069 »

It's quite offtopic...but in the same era!

If reading the newdoom forums for a while and I realy like what you're doing.. i'm mean: the main reason! A pitty is the noisy fight somewhere 2006/2007, my heart beated out.

Suxxess in finding a new coder or artiest(s).And let us show some interesting screenshots from the project! Don't tell > show it!

Now I'm gonna post some trics I've done with keen5
Vermil
Grunt

Post by Vermil »

oesermaatra0069 wrote:It's quite offtopic...but in the same era!

If reading the newdoom forums for a while and I realy like what you're doing.. i'm mean: the main reason! A pitty is the noisy fight somewhere 2006/2007, my heart beated out.

Suxxess in finding a new coder or artiest(s).And let us show some interesting screenshots from the project! Don't tell > show it!

Now I'm gonna post some trics I've done with keen5
Indeed, that little spat at NewDoom (I'm a mod of that part of the forum now :p). I will admit that I am not proud of that and could have responded far better than I did.

Still mistakes were made and I've tried to learn from them.

Though something I will correct you on. The TC has never had a "proper coder". Though a member of Dday team has to all intent's purposes added support for a potential 1.9 WolfTC dll to Dday and has been
keeping it up to date in preparation.

I have kept things chugging along so to speak with some very very basic dabbling in the now aging Dday 1.8.6 codebase to test out of some minor things.

It goes without saying that we hope to update to the 1.9 beta's as soon as possible. Though 1.9 being in progress (and obviously a little buggy) means no SDK, which sadly means I can't build it.

I am an average mapper who also plays with ded's. I am not a coder. Though that doesn't mean that lot's of work hasn't been done on it by all involved or that I am naive regarding code work.

I personally think WolfTC is great fun to play (obviously I'm biased :p).

Many of the coding things we are looking for would probably be pathetically easy for someone with some skill.