Review games you've played recently

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Heroes 3 Complete. I've installed WOG + unofficial WOG patch + HD patch. And now I'm playing it in full HD How cool is that?!
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

wiivn wrote:unofficial WOG patch + HD patch
Never heard of either. Do you mean the official 1.3 World of Goo patch? And where did you get the HD patch?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Battletanx: Global Assault for N64

Cool tanks game with an extreme arcade feel. It has cool graphics and neat maps, although the storyline is very weird (about some female warlord who uses movies to mind control some gangs of mercenaries), but the game is pretty fun. Pretty much my complaint is the turret aiming could be better.

However, if you like fast paced shooters, you should definitely check this one out.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

MOM4Evr wrote:Never heard of either. Do you mean the official 1.3 World of Goo patch? And where did you get the HD patch?
You might be a fan of world of goo and that's why you've been mistaken, but it's not. It's wake of gods, a heroes 3 fan add on. And I think world of goo doesn't need hd patch.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

The Orange Box - I was a fan of Half-Life after I played it and I'm absolutely loving the sequel so far. Portal is so fun, my friends, family and I are all having a wonderful time playing it. Team Fortress 2? I haven't really been able to play it due to all the lag, which is massive.
8/10

Call of Duty: Black Ops - The Singleplayer, while fun is too short and often at times not challenging enough. Zombies is huge fun, I've had great times on split screen and online, especially when playing with experienced players who've managed to do really well until the token idiot goes Lone Wolf. Multiplayer is fun but it doesn't require much tactics or skill, it's more of a run-and-gun kind of game. I once managed to win a game with a decent ratio just by camping in an exploitable place. Most people are friendly, though you do get the occasional "STFU", troll or angry little kid.
6.5/10

Killzone 3 Open Multiplayer Beta: Now this game would be an awesome transition between COD and MAG. You can run and gun in this game, though it's recommended and at times required to use tactics and strategy, a good balance. One like is the fact that every class is good against the weaknesses of two classes. The customisation in this game is A LOT less confusing than that of Create-a-Class. I'm having heaps of fun with this one.
9/10

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - SP's just like Uncharted: Drakes Fortune -- but better. Lovin' the stealth! Multiplayer is also fun but I haven't played enough of it to give it a decent review.
9/10

Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal. SP? Fun and challenging. Especially when you unlock Challenge mode (No garg, sherlock!). MP is SO much fun, my gf and I play it all the time.
10/10

Deus Ex - MY REACTION
10/10

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy - This PS2 port is HUGELY meh. The graphics are better but the game is actually more glitchy than the original, has awkward controls and does not feature multiplayer. Also, Walton Simons has A LOT of his badassness cut out. As a fan of Tom Hall I do not appreciate this.
4/10

Pokémon Ruby - This one belongs to Louise. I preferred it when I was playing Emerald. Still it brings back memories... memories of pissing countless amounts of people off with my Wondereye.
7/10

My reaction after realising how much money I've spent on games instead of important stuff
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Iji - Pretty nice as action-sidescrollers go, decent gameplay and an interesting plot. The levelling mechanic is sort of interesting, but while it makes you think about what you choose to level up, there are often times you can't shake the nagging feeling you should have levelled something else up instead. Still, for a freeware indie effort, very nice. The graphics also struck me as having had a fair amount of effort put into them, especially for a one-man effort.
8.5/10
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

BlueGasMask wrote:Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal. SP? Fun and challenging. Especially when you unlock Challenge mode (No garg, sherlock!). MP is SO much fun, my gf and I play it all the time.
10/10
Oh god YES.

THE GREATEST GAME
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Let's review some demos!

Braid - Amazing. Simply genius. All around awesome. I need 20 bucks!! :crazy
10/10

Blue Toad Murder Files: The Mysteries of Little Riddle (wow, what a long name :eek ) - The graphics are actually pretty impressive. They kinda remind me of Pixar. The music is completely forgettable, but not bad. The voice acting is great for what seems to be one guy voicing every character, but not flawless. The gameplay is not what I expected, and as such, rather disappointing.
6.5/10

VVVVV - I like the retro feel to this game, and the unique "switch from floor to ceiling" type gravity makes the game enjoyably difficult.
9/10

Max and the Magic Marker - Better than it sounds. Much better than I thought it would be judging it by the cover art. Brilliant, and delightful.
9.5/10
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

wiivn wrote:You might be a fan of world of goo and that's why you've been mistaken, but it's not. It's wake of gods, a heroes 3 fan add on. And I think world of goo doesn't need hd patch.
Ah, okay. My mistake. WOG can mean a lot of things... even a racial slur

And only "might" be a fan? :P I am a mod on the forum, after all...

Which leads me to, by the way:

World of Goo: Awesome game, awesome physics. The puzzles aren't tricky, but the gameplay is such that you keep going back... over and over. You can get OCD's on levels, to be sure, but the physics works out in such ways that you can beat certain levels in 0 moves, in 2 seconds, and the like. A lot of "tricks" seem to be so until you realize it's just how the physics works out. 10/10

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, come over to goofans.com after you've beaten the game to play hundreds of fanmade levels, even entire mods of the whole game. :D

[ /shameless plug]

Lugaru: Haven't you always wanted to play a game as a ninja rabbit? 9.8/10

Gish: Slow until you get used to the controls, but a very cool physics-based and fun game. Strange to say the least. Haven't you always wanted to play a platformer as a 12-pound ball of tar?
9.7/10

Supertux: Super Mario takeoffs FTW!
9.6/10

Osmos: You are an amoeba-type creature. A pretty peaceful game, but only in some levels.
9.5/10
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

CKeen wrote:
BlueGasMask wrote:Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal. SP? Fun and challenging. Especially when you unlock Challenge mode (No garg, sherlock!). MP is SO much fun, my gf and I play it all the time.
10/10
Oh god YES.

THE GREATEST GAME
Commander Spleen wrote:THIS POST IS IRREFUTABLE FACT
RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: NFS as it should be, with supercars, police and 15-meters-wide roads... beautiful graphics, but nothing more. 7/10

rFactor: I'm running an hillclimb championship with it, so I'm still playin' it. Graphics don't require a super computer, the mod-ability is huge... but the gameplay depends too much on modders' ability to make the cars' physics close enough to reality. rFactor 2 may be a huge improvement in this way... 8/10

Keen 9: the apex in Keen modding... or very close to. Liked the enemies' replacements, loved the music and the new graphics, yelled a ton while in the final battle. 9.5/10

Assassin's Creed II: an evolution of the first game... nice story, sometimes the missions become a little hard but not impossible at all. Not as repetitive as AC I, but close enough. 7.5/10

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X: I haven't been playing an aircraft game since the old Ace Combat 04... but I have to say that I liked this game very much. The enemies are more intelligent than in other games, and it's easy to ruin a mission with maneuvers even slightly premature or delayed that make you crash. This means the aircrafts' physics are really well-programmed, and there's a visible maneuvering difference from an aircraft to another. 9/10
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."
FCTW
Grunt

Post by FCTW »

FFX
- In one word: Awesome.
- In one sentence: Despite the typical Final Fantasy drag of constant, near pointless, unavoidable, random battles this game it still manages to look great, and have a fantastic, if tragic, plot.
Okeyday.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Gridrunner/Matrix on C64.
Two different versions of an early work from the creator of Llamatron 2112. Simple, noisy and fun. Also very fast-paced, it keeps you on your toes. I may be slightly addicted.

Zaxxon on C64
Finally got a chance to play this. Think it'd be better on an Amiga 500 or something, but the engine is as neat as I expected, and it definitely makes for some good oldschool entertainment.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Spleen: Mind doing some Youtube LPs or something of your C64 games? I'd be interested to see what it can do...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Hmm, I'll see about hooking up a capture card and recording it.