One Must Fall: 2097 Fanfiction

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Scilicet
Vortininja

One Must Fall: 2097 Fanfiction

Post by Scilicet »

I was first introduced to OMF 2097 by the seller from whom I bought my copy of Keen 6. She sent a bunch of other games, saying that she was having a closeout sale. She included the shareware version of OMF. For a while, I had only that version, and then my mom took it from me because she thought it was "too violent." I recently downloaded the full version. Hooray for abandonware!
I channeled my desire for the game into writing a backstory for two of the characters in it. I want to enter it into L. Ron Hubbard's "Writers of the Future" Contest, but I've never gotten the guts to send it in. Even now, I'm nervous about posting it. Most of the writing took place about four to 4.5 years ago. It's entitled "Battle of the 'bots," courtesy of my brother (I was stumped on the title). Here's the first part. The story is complete, but I feel that posting in parts makes the story more easily-read. I apologize if it seems slow, but I have to explain HAR technology to those who have not played OMF. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Crystal De Vroe had loved robots for as long as she could remember. When she was five, she received, as a gift, a small robot which could be programmed to move in a simple sequence. She played with it for many years until it wore out from her constant use. From then on, Crystal graduated to more complex robots until she mastered the most advanced robot technology, Human-Assisted Robots, better known as HARs.

An HAR’s controls make it simple and easy to use. An HAR is controlled by a person called a pilot through a mental link. In a process called “jacking in,â€￾ the pilot is put to sleep for five to ten minutes with an intravenous drug. While the pilot is asleep, his mind switches from controlling a body of flesh and blood to a robot’s 90-foot tall body of steel, aluminum, and titanium. This body is as easy to control as the pilot’s natural body, but it is much stronger and safer. Since the ‘bot is controlled remotely, the pilot suffers no harm, even if the ‘bot is destroyed.

Crystal jacked in to her favorite ‘bot, the Jaguar. The Jaguar, which people quickly dubbed the “Jag,â€￾ was one of the earliest HARs; however, it proved to be the most versatile ‘bot. It showed itself to be strong enough for crowd control and security duty, yet simple and easy enough to learn to be a beginning pilot’s first ‘bot. A Jag is basically human-shaped, except its head is trapezoidal and has no nose or mouth, only eyes; it has 10-foot long spikes guarding its shoulders; all its joints are visible for easy repair, and each of its hands has three fingers. It has a light-weight frame and depends mainly on speed and agility to perform its duties. Crystal’s Jag was royal blue with silver joints and a golden stylized jaguar face on its chest.

Today Crystal would be fighting a simulated competition, known as a “sim.â€￾ The opponent was a computer-made hologram, so a beginner could gain experience without damaging his ‘bot. A pilot could also have a sim against a real person whose fighting style and favorite moves were stored on the computer. Now Crystal sim-fought her twin brother Christian, who controlled an orange, gray, and steel blue Thorn. The Thorn was a massively-built ‘bot that depended on sheer power to defeat the enemy. Its shoulders were very broad and strong, providing an anchor and a power source to the long arms. The arms had long spikes on their elbows which tapered down to a one-atom point, giving the spikes have a powerful punch which easily cut through thick metal. Its legs were long, lithe, and strong. Each of its feet bore three razor-sharp claws which served as useful auxiliary weapons. This ‘bot fit Christian, a very aggressive fighter, perfectly.

Christian was a good challenge for Crystal in this sim; raw power was pitted against agility and speed. Crystal trod thin ice since she never knew how Christian would counter her attack. Sometimes he swung at Crystal as she attacked him. Other times he would let her hit him few times, and then attack with a vengeance. She had to attack him quickly and back away since two of Christian’s strong moves could easily deplete most of her strength. Today, it looked grim for Crystal. She had guessed the counterattack wrongly too many times, so she and Christian fought blow for blow. With one last great effort, she jumped into the air, flipped, grabbed Christian while she was upside down, and hurled him into the simulated arena’s wall. This move, known as the “overhead throw,â€￾ won her the sim.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well... it's certainly unique, is there any of this on fanfiction.net?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
lemm
Blorb

this again

Post by lemm »

Crystal deVroe waited. The lightning above her cracked and forked out of the sky. There were Novas in the Arena. She didn't see them, but had expected them for the duration of the tournament. Her warnings to Christian were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.

Crystal was a HAR pilot for fourteen months. When she was young, she watch the 'bots and she said to dad "I want to pilot the 'bots daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE BEAT BY NOVAS"
There was a time when she believed him. Then as she got oldered she stopped. But now in the power plant arena of WAR she knew there were Novas.

"This is Christian" her helmet crackered. "You must fight the novas!"
So Crystal readieded her Jaguar and prepared to fight.
"SHE GOING TO DESTROY US" said the novas
"I will shoot at her" said Major Kriessack and he fired his arm-launched missiles. Crystal conncusion cannoned at him and tried to knock him down. But then the lightning struck and they were incapaciated and not able to fight.

"No! I must fight the novas" she shouted
The helmet said "No, Crystal. You are the novas"

And then Crystal was a flail.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

No, I have not posted this on fanfiction.net. I feel like I have enough accounts with various websites that I don't want to add another one. Here's part 2.

Crystal practiced in the sims the whole week. She wanted to be ready for the Novices’ Tournament held by World Aeronautics and Robotics (WAR). Any pilot who had not fought in a tournament before was allowed to compete in this tournament. The runner-up would earn a quarter-million-dollar prize. The winner would earn a paid apprenticeship at WAR as a robot researcher and designer. This made this tournament popular among pilots and ensured cutthroat, merciless competition in the finals. The fifth annual Novices’ Tournament would take place on August 12-15, 2096, in Hans Kreissack Arena. Everyone eagerly awaited the day. For spectators, it was the best sport to watch; for novice pilots, it was a shot at fame and a chance to work for the best employer on Earth: WAR. For Crystal, these perks came second. The world thinks I am a baby who drops Dad’s name to get whatever I want. I will prove to them I can succeed with my own merit and effort. By winning this tournament, I’ll find out how Mom and Dad really died. Watch out, WAR!

The big day arrived. Crystal paced nervously in the holding bay of Hans Kreissack Arena after inspecting her beloved Jag. She and Christian, at age 22, were the oldest competitors; the others ranged in age from 15 to 18. However, they had more experience and better-equipped ‘bots than their competitors. Crystal’s Jag had titanium-aluminum joints which resisted wear very well and made the Jag extremely light, agile, and easily handled. Christian’s Thorn had titanium armor plating which protected him from blows that would level a lesser-equipped ‘bot.
Crystal walked around and mingled with the other competitors. However, she had the longest conversation with her first opponent, Corinne Elliot, age 17. Her tall, muscular frame radiated energy and strength. The lightly built Crystal found this intimidating.

“How did you get one of the Shadow robots? They were released just in February,â€￾ asked Crystal.

“My father’s a mechanic for WAR. This was one of the first Shadows; the designers thought it was not as good as the current ones, so they sold it to him. He fixed it up and gave it to me for my birthday,â€￾ replied Corinne.

Crystal said, “I got my Jag when I turned 16. Dad said I could trade up for another when I turned 20, but I liked my Jag’s power, light weight, and ease of use, so I kept it. By the way, why did you enter the tournament? After all, every action has a motive.â€￾

“I want to be a robot designer, and I know WAR is the best place to learn and master the trade,â€￾ answered Corinne, “What’s your reason?â€￾

“My father, Dr. De Vroe, held a high position at WAR. While he and my mother were on a shuttle headed for Earth, the shuttle exploded. WAR said it was an accident, but I don’t believe so. If I became an employee, I could access the information surrounding their deaths,â€￾ Crystal stated.

“Wow!â€￾

Crystal continued, “We both have very good reasons to want a position at WAR. However, only one of us will have a shot her dream. May the best woman win.â€￾

“Yes,â€￾ repeated Corinne, her blue eyes flashing excitement, “may the best win. I’ll see you in the arena in fifteen minutes.â€￾

Lemm, if you're trying to extend my story, you're doing a terrible job at imitating how I write.