Duke Nukem Forever Demo

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Not so fast. The full version is not out yet and this is just a public demo. There may be an option for adults to enable that in the full version. If there won't be, then some modders will add the blood, the nudity and the ability to carry more than 2 weapons. As for the level design, I don't see the lack of ability to jump over a bath as a major flaw.

The levels actually do brings memory from the past game. The toilets, the walls, the posters, the stadium.... The only major flaw I see is the lack of enough destruct-able elements as you point out. But I also give that to the fact that the second level in the demo is most probably one of the first 3D realms ever made when they switched the engine. Those years destruct-able environments were so-so, not as they're making them today.

What exactly do you mean by "level interactivity that we had IN THE EARLY 1990S IN DOS!?" Put example or two because I don't get what interactivity exactly you're talking about. Jeez, we just saw two small levels, we didn't saw the whole big game.

About the ego meter. Yeah this idea kinda sucks, but you've got a better one? I don't think finding medikits lying all around the dessert really appropriate.

And the autosave feature, that some said adds console taste - well that just saves to you the save/load procedures you otherwise have to do. So not a big deal.

Btw you can speeding up by pressing the shift key if you haven't figure that out. And probably the multiplayer will be more fast paced.

So anyway, it's too earyl to judge the final game when it's not out yet. I bet that despite it's flaws (because of the long development time) the game will offer some hell of experience that not COD, not BF or any other modern shooter can offer these days.
ALMN
Vortininja

Post by ALMN »

wiivn wrote:I don't think finding medikits lying all around the dessert really appropriate.
I don't want a bunch of medikits in my dessert either.

N e way, on a serious note, the way this game's looking is a huge disappointment to me. It's like CoD and Halo had a kid, that kid had a kid with Duke3D, and that kid is DN:F. The only thing remotely Duke about this game is the one-liners, Duke, and some of the NPCs
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

wiivn wrote:I don't think finding medikits lying all around the dessert really appropriate.
It seems pretty realistic to me. :P
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Here is an extremely reasonable and honest review from someone who, like me, desperately wanted to enjoy the game, but couldn't help but feel very let down and couldn't get past the obvious design flaws and modernization of Duke. I have enjoyed this guy's commentaries in the past, and his review video has over 200,000 views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6MjzgTZriw

The video starts out fairly optimistic, but eventually goes on to say that while they captured the aesthetics, attitude and humor of Duke, they completely ruined everything that made Duke Nukem fun, and also how it didn't even feel like he was playing a Duke game. He winds up making a lot of the same points that I have, particularly how Gearbox ruined the game because they were too scared not to conform to the modern shooter style, and how the two weapon limit is a huge flaw that you cannot simply ignore. He also, like basically everyone else who actually played the game, compared it to Halo, because it is undeniably influenced.

"Conclusion: It's alright. It's just unpleasantly average, which nobody really wanted of Duke Nukem. Gearbox has made some really stupid design decisions in this game, and has potentially ruined it."
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Para,

We have to face the fact that Duke is irrelevant anymore. This game took *way* too long to deliver.

After playing the demo, it seems like Gearbox decided to make Duke mass-marketable for the "Modern Warfare/Halo/etc" generation of gamers. It just seems thats the way the wind is blowing these days...

Gearbox has pretty much taken a giant sh*t on the faces of 3DRealms, the Duke Nukem legacy, and all the fans who *actually* cared and believed in the project...

/end rant
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

it's a fucling game
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I haven't played the demo, but to be fair DNF's task was a daunting one. The original Duke 3D pulled in gamers who thought Doom was stupid and tedious (like I did) with humor and charm. Even if this Duke steals stuff from Halo (something I wouldn't notice or care about), does the cheesy humor and quality level design make up for that?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Wiivn is right - modders will fix it...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

RoboBlue wrote:does the cheesy humor and quality level design make up for that?
No, because Doom was a PC game and Halo was a console game.

Duke is a PC game and should not conform to the dumbed-down console game model. He was supposed to be the trend-setter here, not a Halo clone. What the fucl?

I read an article where George said that it was his idea to have the 2-weapon limit, because they simply couldn't figure out how to implement the full weapon system smoothly for use on console controllers. He then basically said "f u" to all of the fans who made his ass rich, and then said "It's not 1996" anymore. So yeah. Fucl that fat piece of garg.

It appears that most of the blame for DNF sucking is placed on the guy who was also solely responsible for the 15 year delay.
Who would have thought. >_<
DHeadshot wrote:modders will fix it
No. I don't want to play a mod of how DNF should have been, just like I didn't want to play a mod of how Doom 3 should have been.

There is absolutely no reason why the modding community should have to pick up 3DRealms' and Gearbox's work for them just to make the game as it rightfully should have been.

If the game does get modded to be behave like Duke should, I hope that version gets pirated heavily among PC gamers, because Gearbox does not deserve the sales revenue for releasing this piece of garg.

If they chose to betray us PC gamers and classic gamers for the more profitable console demographic, then they don't deserve our money.

I hope all the foobs they cater to for profit hate and reject this game. Personally, I know several foobs with terrible taste in games who like Halo, CoD, Modern Warfare, etc... Who think Duke is stupid and aren't even interested in it. So it fails to appeal to even the stupidest of gamers, who are their target audience obviously. Otherwise, they would have given what they KNEW the true fans wanted.

Yes. I said true fans.
True Duke fans never wanted the 2-weapon system, and they knew it.

Fucl Gearbox. Fucl 3DRealms.

One more thing: Why couldn't they have at least made two separate versions of the game? One for consoles, as it is currently being released, and one for the PC, the version not made for complete retards?

There is no reason for both the PC and console ports to be the same. It's not like there's multi-player crossover or anything like that.

I don't think there's a single PC gamer who appreciates having their game dumbed down for casual-gaming/mountaindew-gaming idiots.

THERE IS AUTO-AIM IN DUKE NUKEM! THIS IS BLASPHEMY!
It doesn't get any more dumbed down than that!

/////rraaaaaaaagggeeeee
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Paramultart wrote:No, because Doom was a PC game and Halo was a console game.
Duke is a PC game and should not conform to the dumbed-down console game model. He was supposed to be the trend-setter here, not a Halo clone. What the fucl?
I've never played Halo, but I find it hard to believe that any modern shooter could be more primitive than Doom. It just sounds like you're biased against consoles, and unwilling to accept that a majority of gamers have moved away from PC gaming for perfectly legitimate reasons (high entry cost and horrible DRM issues). Naturally, high-budget games are likely to be designed for the most popular platform, and ports will likely be inferior to the original, but just because a port has sucky controls doesn't mean the original game isn't great.