Games similar to Commander Keen

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Fearabbit
Meep

Games similar to Commander Keen

Post by Fearabbit »

Hey there, I just discovered these forums, and scanning through the pages here I was surprised that there wasn't a thread like that... so now I'm making it, because I hope that you guys might be able to help me out.

I'm looking for games that are very similar to Commander Keen. That means that they should be somewhere in between Jump & Run and Sidescrolling Shooter, and ideally they take place in space and feature a main character like Commander Keen or Spaceman Spiff (anyone ever noticed the similarity between those, by the way?).

The thing is, I really enjoy the comic-like retro science fiction feeling that Commander Keen has. It's light-hearted, yet full of adventure. And I really don't know any other game that has this feeling. And I can't imagine any other genre for this type of setting - it HAS to be a platformer with guns, gadgets (pogo stick, wrist computer etc.) and the smooth gameplay that Commander Keen offered.

I know about the Metroid series, and I believe that it kind of goes in the right direction, and I want to try it out some time. But it's simply not very cartoony and light-hearted. I also know about Heart of Darkness, but that is lacking in the gameplay section, even though I really like the game for many other things (and blasting shadows with your laser is actually pretty fun, it's just not the type of genre I'm looking for).

I guess what I like about CK is that it's the perfect mix of Super Metroid and Calvin & Hobbes.
Does anyone here know any games that go in the general direction?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

There's not very many games similar to Keen, but any platform game Apogee ever put out is similar in game-play to Keen.
Definitely check out the first two Duke Nukem games if you haven't already.
Duke Nukem II takes place in space, has some gadgets (kind of), and a sci-fi setting.
Monster Bash is somewhat similar in that it is a "Jump & Run" game where the protagonist is a young hero, named Johnny Dash. But instead of fighting through space to save the planet, you're fighting through the underworld to save our pets. Instead of aliens, there are monsters. It has a really smooth engine and game play, and on top of that, it's an amazing game.
Cosmo's Cosmic adventure has a similar sci-fi/cartoon theme.
You're not going to find much else other than what Apogee put out in the early 90's.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Jazz Jackrabbit might sort of maybe fill your criteria. I dunno.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I'm curious if there's any games that control Jumping like Keen1-3, where your jump height is charged while on the ground, rather than letting go of the jump button while already in the air like Mario. Just feels more realistic the Keen way to me.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Secret Agent always felt the closest to Keen, for me.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Geez! This question is actually pretty hard! There aren't quite many games similar to CK gameplay. Maybe you didn't try all of the commander keen series? Did you try keen 7-9?

You can find a platformer in these dos classics: http://www.dosgames.com/g_side.php

Other platformers that come to my mind, but are not in space, are Captain Claw, JJ2, Rayman, Lomax, Pekka Kana 2 (if you're unable to run it)...
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Yeh, Monster bash is pretty close.

It's less shooty and more explore-y.
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

I modeled my own Dirk Dashing games after Commander Keen. Dirk is a secret agent, so the games aren't science fiction. But they are cartoony and lighthearted, they use the same 2.5D slanted look as Keen 4-6, and they have tons of secret areas and hidden goodies. Plus there are several weapons and gadgets, and some cartoony ways to take out bad guys.

You can check out Dirk's site here: http://www.dirkdashing.com

From there, you can watch a video trailer of the first Dirk game, and download a free demo. I'm also putting the finishing touches on Dirk Dashing 2 today, which will be available for pre-order on August 26. You can click on the DD2 banner at the top of the page for screenshots and a description of some of the big improvements I've made for the sequel.

At the bottom of my Dirk Dashing site, I have a list of some other side-scrollers you might like. Of those, I think Bud Redhead is the closest one that meets your criteria.
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Does Dirk Dashing 2 has anything in common with Secret Agent in terms of gameplay?
Do you have anything in common with the creators of Bud Redhead? I mean after they released it, they didn't make a sequel, neither a different game. I wonder what is happening with them?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Bud redhead got too repetitive for me. After the 4th grass level I raised my arms and cried "enough!"
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

wiivn wrote:Does Dirk Dashing 2 has anything in common with Secret Agent in terms of gameplay?
Not much beyond the basic platforming gameplay, though Secret Agent was certainly one of the inspirations for my game. SA was a fun game, but I always thought it was extremely hard, and I didn't like that most gadgets did nothing but give you points. So I made sure the gadgets in Dirk Dashing did something - the X-ray glasses actually let you see through walls to find hidden areas, the springy shoes let you jump 3 times higher, etc. One of the improvements I added for Dirk Dashing 2 is an inventory system that lets you pick up the gadgets, carry them with you, and use them whenever you want.

I did give a nod to SA in Dirk Dashing 2, though - there's a ceiling crawling robot that was inspired by the one in SA. It even looks similar, but mine changes direction after you run under it, and it comes after you.
wiivn wrote:Do you have anything in common with the creators of Bud Redhead? I mean after they released it, they didn't make a sequel, neither a different game. I wonder what is happening with them?
No, I only signed with them as an affiliate to help sell their games. I get a small commission for each sale that helps sustain me when I'm between game releases. I would have liked to see a sequel too - I enjoyed the first one (even if the scenery did get repetitive). There just aren't many good platformers being made anymore, at least for PC/Mac.
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

I noticed Jazz and Nukem mentioned above.

I think both gave a nod to Keen. Duke, obviously, took the angle of Duke > Keen, and Jazz 2 had the sign that read "Spaz ate the Dopefish".

I wouldn't say that Jazz 1 OR 2 were that similar to any Keen. The only reason I group them together is because I was playing them at the same time (so to speak.)

Honesty, I really do feel the similarities between Mario and Keens 1-3. I've not played either much, but as far as motion is concerned they have some similarities. Obviously, this is because Keen was meant as a Mario port.
Difference is that Keen progressed/improved from that gameplay 8)
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'd say Earthbound is pretty close to Keen in terms of its style, sense of humor, and deceptive epicness behind something that seems cartoony and lighthearted, even though they're totally different in terms of gameplay.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!