Dirk Dashing 2: E.V.I.L Eye is available for pre-ordering!

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Dirk Dashing 2: E.V.I.L Eye is available for pre-ordering!

Post by GolfHacker »

Secret agent Dirk Dashing is back for a brand new mission!

After a wicked computer virus destroys G.O.O.D's new computer network, agent Dirk Dashing must track down the cyber criminal responsible for the attack. His mission leads him to a massive global corporation, owned by one of the wealthiest men in the world. Help Dirk avoid security systems, evade guards, and solve all-new puzzles to stop a diabolical new plot by E.V.I.L mastermind, Dr. Ego!

Dirk Dashing 2 features:

* Improved graphics, with lighting effects and cel shading!
* A new inventory system, so you can pick up multiple weapons and gadgets, carry them with you, and use them whenever you want!
* A new health system, so Dirk can take multiple hits before he dies (no more instant death)!
* New moves, including the ability to climb ladders and hang from wires and pipes!
* An all-new soundtrack with spy music that perfectly fits the game!
* Play using keyboard, joystick, or game pad!
* Ability to save your game progress at any point!
* In-game instructions to get you started!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Free demos are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. The demo contains Part 1 of the 5-part story. Feedback is welcome! I really want to make this game special for fans of classic platformers, so I welcome any suggestions for improvement. And certainly tell me what you like about the game, so I don't inadvertently change a game mechanic or feature that you like. You can reach me at info@mygamecompany.com

Dirk Dashing 2 can be pre-ordered for $19.99 USD. Pre-ordering customers will receive a download link to the "full" version beta, containing Parts 1 and 2 of the 5-part story. They'll also receive free updates as I finish each part of the game, with new levels, new features, bug fixes, and more. So it will be a lot like playing an episodic game - with each new update, more of the story will be revealed. And when the game is all done, I'll give pre-ordering customers a free copy of the planned $5 strategy guide, containing level maps, concept art, hints, tricks, and more!

Official game page: http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/D ... 2/main.htm
Windows download: http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/D ... wnload.htm
Mac download: http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/D ... wnload.htm
Linux download: http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/D ... wnload.htm
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

wat?

this != DOS, !=Keen and != Classic
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

(Paramultart: Removed this post. I'm sorry for being a jerk)
Last edited by Paramultart on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:03, edited 1 time in total.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

Sorry. I'm a fan of Keen too, and that's why I wrote my game. I just thought you guys might enjoy a new platformer to play.
My Game Company
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Have you even tried the demo? Don't judge the game by the screenshots. The game is much better than the first one. I find myself enjoying it. You can clearly see the Keen and SAM influences. Although the game looks a bit like casual platformer, it's a bit above that. The game is not that easy and have tons of secret areas.

GolfHacker I think the goggles time is too short. I would double it. There are just so many hidden areas you can't see them all with this short amount of time. And make the pop up windows to disappear by pressing the fire key too. A little bit more health packs here and there would be nice too.

@lemm: and the Rage topic (for example) is DOS-Keen-retro?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

There's a release board, but even that's geared more for keen mods. Miscellaneus is for casual chat, political debates and meme spamming. All things considered this is probably the most appropriate board for this thread.

Did I read this correctly: you haven't even finished building all the episodes before you started selling it?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Did I read this correctly: you haven't even finished building all the episodes before you started selling it?
That's pre-ordering. What's the problem with that?
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

wiivn wrote:Have you even tried the demo? Don't judge the game by the screenshots. The game is much better than the first one. I find myself enjoying it. You can clearly see the Keen and SAM influences. Although the game looks a bit like casual platformer, it's a bit above that. The game is not that easy and have tons of secret areas.
Thanks, wiivn! I appreciate that. I've worked hard to make the sequel better, thanks in part to criticism and suggestions made by board members here about my first platformer. As a developer, it seems to me that talking to the fans of a genre is the best way to improve my work.
wiivn wrote:GolfHacker I think the goggles time is too short. I would double it. There are just so many hidden areas you can't see them all with this short amount of time. And make the pop up windows to disappear by pressing the fire key too. A little bit more health packs here and there would be nice too.
Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't sure what the optimal time for the x-ray glasses should be. I didn't think it needed to be too long, since the save/restore anywhere feature allows players to essentially reuse the glasses on different parts of a level. But I'll definitely extend the time in the next update.

Having the fire key dismiss popups has already been requested by several other players. The first game dismissed them with any key, and it was too easy to accidentally dismiss them via arrow keys before you had a chance to read them. Restricting it to just the Enter key seemed like the logical choice at the time, but I can see now how the space bar would be a better choice.

And I'll see about sprinking some more health kits around.

Thank you again for your suggestions!
My Game Company
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Did I read this correctly: you haven't even finished building all the episodes before you started selling it?
Yeah, it's taking longer to build levels than I originally anticipated. And I had some DD1 fans who really wanted a pre-order so they could play some new levels.

Besides, a pre-order seemed like a good way to get the game in front of people and get some feedback on the levels I've made so far, before I build all the rest. That part of it is working out very well so far.
My Game Company
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

Just wanted to let everyone know I've released an update to Dirk Dashing 2. I entered it into the 2012 Independent Games Festival main competition, and for that I made a ton of improvements to the game, including:

* Three different skill levels
* Ability for guards to "hear" Dirk's movements (running, shooting, etc)
* A new move: the ability to sneak silently by holding the shift key
* Over 200 new sound effects, for richer environments
* Sounds fade out over distance, instead of stopping when they go offscreen
* An interactive music engine
* Two additional save game slots
* Tons of bug fixes and gameplay tweaks

There's a full list of changes over at www.dirkdashing.com, where you can also download the new demo.

I also updated the game trailer to show off some of the improvements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHwjDy5L5J0

I would like to thank wiivn and others from this board who provided feedback to help make the game better. I haven't implemented all your suggestions yet, but I'm working on it. I'm also working on the Part 3 levels - hoping to have those done by Thanksgiving.
My Game Company