Favorite Old Failed/Obscure Video Game Consoles

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Favorite Old Failed/Obscure Video Game Consoles

Post by T-Squared »

Mine? It has to be the Nintendo Virtual Boy.

The console has so much in common with myself.

There's so many things wrong with it (relative to what was available at the time), but there are a lot of things that were either done right, or have a "retro-futuristic charm to it. :D
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think I'll go with the Sega Game gear.

I heard of this thing called an Apple Pippin that was supposed to play classic mac games on it. I've never actually seen it, but can you imagine all those point-and-click centered games on a controller based console back then?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

The Game Gear doesn't count as it was quite successful. The Sega Nomad on the other hand...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Can I post Power Glove? Not a console, but related. It's so bad.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Since the nomad has already been taken...
Neo Geo Pocket Color. That thing has by far the best joystick I've ever used for any console or portable, and it has a really solid version of Capcom vs SNK.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Power glove was cool by default. Too bad it wasn't very responsive.
Neo Geo Pocket was sweet until it got recalled. Only a handful of games for it I believe.

I guess we've stayed mainstream with Nintendo systems. Didn't get a VB though, but my friend had one.

I suppose my favorite was the Gameboy Micro, just came out way too late before the DS stopped it out.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

3DO with The Way of the Warrior. I haven't played it a lot, but it looked so cool and photo-realistically way ahead of SNES and SEGA Mega Drive 2...
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

That game looks horrible, however I, too, am going to say 3DO.

The Video Game Critic made a funny review for Way of the Warrior that I read a while back:
In the early 90's there were all kinds of bad Mortal Kombat rip-offs, but Way of the Warrior is particularly embarrassing. Where do we begin? Well, first of all, the cast of fighters is absolutely vomit-inducing. There's a ninja with a pink belt, an outback hillbilly, a redneck woman, a homo armed with fans, a black guy in a tie, and an Asian martial artist who looks like he's about 14. And that's just a sample. The graphics are remarkably photorealistic and colorful, but the animation is choppy and fighters look stiff. It's painfully evident that the developers knew absolutely nothing about martial arts. The attacks look stupid and the fights look utterly ridiculous. The controls are unresponsive and the characters hop around like fleas. The backgrounds are colorful but lack personality and fail to convey atmosphere. The audio consists of non-stop White Zombie head banging garbage that you'll be sick of by the second round. Other annoying sound effects include idiotic yells and quips from the fighters. Way of the Warrior is so bad that it's hard to comprehend. It's really more of a curiosity than a game. But perhaps the most shocking part is the fact that it was made by Naughty Dog, the same developers who later would produce the awesome Crash Bandicoot games for the Playstation.
It still looks better than the other MKF clones on that system, though.