6 Reasons Modern Gaming DOES Suck (An Anti-Anti-Rant)

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Re: 6 Reasons Modern Gaming DOES Suck (An Anti-Anti-Rant)

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Galaxieretter wrote:No matter how it is done, there needs to be linear points in a story, game or otherwise, or else the plot will wander, people will lose interest and the game has no real point. (The Sims)
Nonlinear != no story. Even games that just have you go from point a to point b, then point c and so on and so forth don't have to force you to move in a straight line the entire game. That's what made doom 3 so unbearable. Just put some alternate routes in a level, even if they're just bonuses. Look at the level design for doom 1 for example. It had a linear storyline, but the levels had a lot of exploration value and there were even secret levels.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

ALMN wrote: i like new games and old games
Thank you for saying this, me too! :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Lava89 wrote:
NOVELTY RETRO-GAMERS! ALL OF YOU! TRAITORS! :celtic

:p
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm the Benedict Arnold of classic gaming.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Galaxie wrote:No matter how it is done, there needs to be linear points in a story, game or otherwise, or else the plot will wander, people will lose interest and the game has no real point. (The Sims [an extremely profitable game franchise])
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Nonlinear gameplay can lead to boredom and frustration, but it can also lead to greater depth and a sense of accomplishment. However, I do feel that gamers are spoiled today with tons of cheap and simple games, so much so that many gamers won't put in the effort required to enjoy a nonlinear game from an unfamiliar franchise.

Nostalgia does a lot to smooth over the rough patch at the beginning where you have no idea what to do.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

RoboBlue wrote:Nonlinear gameplay can lead to boredom and frustration, but it can also lead to greater depth and a sense of accomplishment.
By far the best games have to be the ones where there IS a linear option, but the non-linear components are enticing enough for you to want to try to find them.

I cannot even estimate how many times I tried to get that caged bird somewhere on the second level (or thereabouts) of Jazz 1. I could never get at it, but had I succeeded I would've been dancing through the house to tell my parents! (Yes, I was THAT kind of 4-y/o kid.)

Same goes for Keen. Although many levels are non-linear there are many secret areas, bonuses and incentives to drag you off the beaten track.

Modern games seem to have got the the stage where if you find a hidden area it's an 'easter egg' and not a real part of gameplay.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Deus Ex.

End topic.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Lava89 wrote:
YES.
BlueGasMask wrote:Deus Ex.

End topic.
Deus Ex sucked.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Despite the fact that nearly all the games I play are at least 15 years old, I definitely acknowledge that there are games still being produced which are awesome. Gaming is really no different now than it was 20 or 30 years ago: there are a few games which are fun, even amazing, and a ton of others which are crap.

I think in a sense it's not old games I prefer so much as easily modified games; I no longer get much thrill out of trying and playing a game I haven't played before (with some exceptions of course), and find that, whatever games I try old or new, I keep coming back to Doom and Commander Keen because they're the ones I can build levels and mods for the easiest.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

StupidBunny wrote:Gaming is really no different now than it was 20 or 30 years ago: there are a few games which are fun, even amazing, and a ton of others which are crap.
Well said, applies to pretty much any form of media.