6 Reasons Modern Gaming DOES Suck (An Anti-Anti-Rant)

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

I'd just say that I'm fine with linear games as long as they aren't narrow hallways like call of duty.

deal with it.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

guynietoren wrote:Cave Story
Cave Story: great soundtrack, great plot, great levels and great design. It also feels and is a lot like an old fashioned game.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

CKeen wrote:I'd just say that I'm fine with linear games as long as they aren't narrow hallways like call of duty.

deal with it.

Hey, look everyone! A prime example of CKeen's reputable taste!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

CKeen wrote:I'd just say that I'm fine with linear games as long as they aren't narrow hallways like call of duty.

deal with it.
Aren't you the guy who whines about Half-life being too linear?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Linear isn't necessarily bad - it's what makes Sonic work...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Actually, I'd say Call of duty's problem is that it continues the trend of giving you very little single player story just to get you enticed to play multiplayer (especially in COD4), and by nature multiplayer has to give you a sandbox so you can run around and shoot the other players.

So I could argue that Call of Duty isn't linear enough.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Re: 6 Reasons Modern Gaming DOES Suck (An Anti-Anti-Rant)

Post by RoboBlue »

Paramultart wrote:#2: We had something better than DLC in the 90's... Expansion packs, and custom user-levels.
We also had complete games that were TESTED FOR BUGS and generally more challenging than today's games (so they lasted longer and were far more satisfying to play over and over again.

Then again, maybe we're all just spoiled by having a ton of games to play nowadays.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

DHeadshot wrote:Linear isn't necessarily bad - it's what makes Sonic work...
WHAT the FUCL Sonic games are you playing? The genesis games are filled with secret areas, alternate routes, special zones, etc.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Good game = (How much fun) X (How long before it becomes borring)
The answer is an opinion.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:Linear isn't necessarily bad - it's what makes Sonic work...
WHAT the FUCL Sonic games are you playing? The genesis games are filled with secret areas, alternate routes, special zones, etc.
Yes, but they're generally still linear - start at left, get to right by any means necessary. No mazes, a variety of paths that merge every few screens and you can generally keep one arrow key (or D-Pad point or whatever) held down for the entire level...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

My response to your opinion, from that of an elite computer gamer.
With, I'm sorry, the evidence to back it up which no one gives me the credit for.

1.) You have no friends.
Get a microphone.

Go to an X-box lan party, me and my friends had those all the time before XBox Live was made, for Halo 1. I've been to parties with more than 1 XBox in the same room, or different rooms WITH XBox Live on the consoles, playing Nazi Zombies or whatever.

2.) Even with the editors for new commercial games being released with the games on release date, next to no one makes any mods for any games. This includes you.

This is why most companies don't even bother with releasing their modding tools, because you won't use them.

It takes about 2,000 times more work to make a "simple" level than it did to make a few clicks in Doom to make a garg "level" which had 12 guys in it with misaligned textures. Don't cite Doom as an example, as the amount of megawads worth mentioning can be counted on one hand, most made after the year 2000.

The reason why you don't get that kind of customization on a console is because you bought a console and not a decent computer. What do you expect? You were NEVER able to make mods for a console, period. To say it's a downfall of new games today, makes you kind of stupid.

3.) Most "indie" games are a pile of garg, from some dude trying to make a quick buck off of 2 weeks of work after reading some literature. "Amnesia" included.
Oh and minecraft. Love it. Minecraft is for people who tell themselves they have a good enough computer that they'll ever need and for people with aspergers.

4.) (For some reason, that link won't work.)
Unless you want your game to be like a fucl movie.
'

5.) >S-K-Y-R-I-M
Like games in the early 90's were different.
Like games in the 80's weren't?
Like you could imagine a better videogame, let alone make one. All the people who said "This game will be open ended and not linear" usually had their games end up in the gutter. People expect a plot. Such is in our culture, it's in our essences as people, we expect a story to have certain elements.

No matter how it is done, there needs to be linear points in a story, game or otherwise, or else the plot will wander, people will lose interest and the game has no real point. (The Sims)

The fact that you do not cite any examples, means that you have no idea what you are talking about.

6.) No they are better than movies, combining literature, movie-like depictions, cutscenes, acting both physical as in Quake 4 among other games where sensors are hooked up to people and put into the game as well as voice acting and music among other things. Video games are the next genera of media, as radio was once the next genera of media after books, after plays after concerts and the like.

kuliwil wrote:8. Game music has only gone downhill since SkyRoads.
Chrono Cross. Check it out. And that's just for starters. Hanging on to one man's work from 20 years ago (or so) saying it's the best that has ever been just highlights your ignorance and stubbornness on the subject.
Last edited by Galaxieretter on Tue Jan 17, 2012 18:43, edited 2 times in total.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

guynietoren wrote:Good game = (How much fun) X (How long before it becomes borring)
The answer is an opinion.
Well said :)
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Galaxieretter wrote:3.) Most "indie" games are a pile of garg, from some dude trying to make a quick buck off of 2 weeks of work after reading some literature. "Amnesia" included.
I think you've confused "indie games" with "art games", but it seems like almost all art games are indie games anyway.

On that note, can someone please explain to me why Electroplankton is even considered a game?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Galaxieretter wrote: ...You have no friends...
...makes you kind of stupid...
...you have no idea what you are talking about...
...highlights your ignorance and stubbornness on the subject...
Hey, look everyone! It's the one person you always see in every forum who gets to act like a complete jerk and never face any consequences because he's friends with all the mods.

I should never have to start out a reply with "DO TOO", or "YEAH HUH", and at this point, I really don't feel the need to even defend myself. You have a lot of nerve.

What was the intention of your post? To slam the guy rooting for the underdog? Newsflash: "Retro-Gamers" are a minority, and most of them are only in it for the novelty.

If you think video games are actually GETTING BETTER, then...
Congratulations!
You're part of the majority!
You are not original.
You are not controversial.
You are not going to "enlighten" the world with your "unique" point of view, so you should definitely stop attacking people on underpopulated DOS forums.
Last edited by Paramultart on Sat Jan 21, 2012 22:30, edited 2 times in total.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
ALMN
Vortininja

Post by ALMN »

lol

EDIT: i like new games and old games and i agree that a lot of new games are getting worse but some are great like battlefield 3 great fun