METEORS

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

METEORS

Post by DHeadshot »

NY00123 wrote:Think that someone has mentioned the lack of (older?) games discussed, so lets add one...
Let's add another...

METEORS is a classic ZX81 game from 1981. It was written purely in Sinclair BASIC in "Fast" mode and runs fine on an unexpanded ZX81 as it fits easily within the 1KB limit. It came on a compilation called "Games 1" that contained a range of 6 max-1KB games (available here).. There is a video of gameplay from it here.

This may not seem like a very good game by modern standards - indeed it was quite glitchy even by 1981 standards - but for a cheap game on a £50 home computer within a 1KB limit it is pretty impressive.

About a year ago I ported this to the PC (by manually adapting the Sinclair BASIC code to QuickBASIC code and compiling it). Here is a quote from the original post on the subject:
I got curious and decided to port Meteors to the PC ... I've created 17 different versions (link here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12124596/Software/METEORS.zip ). 1, 2, 3 and 4 are straight ports, with various slight changes in an attempt to create a version as close as possible to the original despite the screen and character set differences (1 and 2 use extended graphics while 3 and 4 use ASCII graphics, 1 and 3 are black-on-grey while 2 and 4 are grey-on-black). 5, 6, 7 and 8 are the same but with a score display added to just off the original ZX81 screen. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 are the above again but sped up to the approximate proper speed. 17 introduces a different background colour to liven the monotony.
In addition to the versions mentioned in the above post, I also created a full PC version in Glorious 16-colour EGA: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12124596/Software/PCMETEOR.EXE!

If you want to play any of my ports, the download links are above (TL;DR? Shame on you!). If you want to play the original, you'll need a ZX81 emulator (I use EightyOne) and either the P file or the Tape file of the compilation (available in both P file format and TZX).

[Edit] This has to be some kind of record. 1 Million internet points if you can beat this score:
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Heads up: Your port isn't 64-bit compatible.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

It's DOS! DOS on 64-bit is always touch-and-go! Use DOSBox as you would for Keen...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

DHeadshot wrote:It's DOS! DOS on 64-bit is always touch-and-go! Use DOSBox as you would for Keen...
OH! I thought it was Win16 or something.

Excellent!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass