SplitWolf beta released

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

SplitWolf beta released

Post by DoomJedi »

Just wanted to showcase one of my Wolf3D-related projects - "SplitWolf" :)
SplitScreen (offline) coop Wolf3D for up to 4 players on the same comp - on a cross-platfom/limit-removing SDL.

Support for Wolf3D registered, Wolf3D shareware, and Spear of Destiny (this is an external addon with no alteration of the original files) - or any "classic" mappack of those.
Support for both vertical and horizontal splitscreen modes.
Coop Minimap and easy skin color change.

Beta was just released:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3751922/SplitWo ... 042012.zip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgvTvxrFM0

Coding: LinuxWolf
Additional art: DoomJedi
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Did B.J. always have his own sprites that were left unseen? I know you saw him run out of castle wolfenstein in the first episode, but I wondered if he was actually drawn into the game while playing as him.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

No, he wasn't.
All the frames in the attached extra-art-loading folder are new.

The player frames you saw in the original Wolf3D were the only frames made.
Not to mention existence of pain and shooting frames only for front-facing direction. (Not to mention 1-dir Boss/Ghost frames)

This is unlike later Doom/Build engine games
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I love that you went the extra mile to make this happen. Is network games the next step? Back in the old days I may have gotten some mileage out of split-screens, but now that the only people who would ever play wolfenstein 3D with me are on the internet...
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I love that you went the extra mile to make this happen.
Thank you :)

This is one of my favourite feedbacks so far! :) - it's so nice to be preciated after a hard effort.
Gotta give a big credit to LinuxWolf for his coding and patience....no Wolf3D coder before him was ready to attempt to make something like that happen.
Full SplitWolf version will have more/improved features, more new art and better modding support :)
We actually disabled some features from this beta to further debug them.

Hope Wolf3D modding community will make some cool special coop mappacks for this one and even mods :)
Is network games the next step?
Well, donnow what I can reveal here... at this time... :)
Back in the old days I may have gotten some mileage out of split-screens,
Oh, me too :) Loved the "Wolf3D Legacy" port, played it alot in SplitScreen - Doom, Heretic........I'm much of a SplitScreen fan.
Though my love for SplitScreen is much older, from the times of one of my beloved DOS games - "Lotus III the Ultimate Challenge"....It's SplitScreen rocked :) I wish we'd have a source of that one, I'd open a modding forum :)
Also I remember "Tuneller" DOS game and also "Speed Haste" - to have SplitScreen.

Back in my "Game Maker" days I've even made a SplitScreen Platform Doom engine - "cDoom" - "Contra"-style Doom :)
it's still cool to play.
It sure is :)
but now that the only people who would ever play wolfenstein 3D with me are on the internet...
Yeah...I know what you mean :) I have forseen this problem from the start, but we still made this :) If you don't have Wolf3D pals - it's time to get some :)
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

We've released Beta 2 BTW :)

Also we've released Wolf3D mod "Operation Eisenfaust : Origins"