kid icarus anime

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

kid icarus anime

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I just watched some 3DS videos of an anime based on kid icarus. Right off the bat, I feel the 'anime' approach taints kid icarus. It's the same as if there was a Commander Keen anime (I know there are chibi-styled keens in mods and fanart, and that's all well and good, but imagine a realistic-styled anime of keen, and there were entire episodes of it).

The first episode I saw was... surprising. Pit and Palutena are planning dinner and she sends Pit off to gather vegetables. Pit complains and wants hamburgers instead, which I found extremely offputting since it's supposed to be in a classical Greek setting, and Pit shouldn't know about stuff from the future. I'll let it slide, sense in a moment the cartoon loses all pretense of taking itself seriously. This one-eyed sentient carrot starts throwing knives at Palutena, and then an army of carrots start attacking her. Then she's at war with legions of vegetables and i barely comprehend what's happening. She orders pit to gather warriors to bring back to battle the vegetable menace. At some point they conjoin to become a giant vegetable godzilla monster, but when it steps into water, the vegetables turn back into normal, non-living vegetables. "The water washed off the rejuvination potion!" she says. Oh, the veggies are alive because of some potion? The veggie godzilla collapses, but then some giant green pumpkins jump her from behind. Pit arrives with the soldiers to find Palutena with a pumpkin for a head. She smashes off the pumpkin, and ends the episode with this closing line: "Pit, we're going out for dinner."

It didn't make an attempt to be part of a serious story arc or make sense. It was idiotic, surreal, silly, and I couldn't understand what was going on. Like it was straight out of an 80's cartoon. And that's the problem with this. It shouldn't be anime. It should be closer to the art style of the game, or a simple Western art style to go with the zany tone. The art style and the kind of story it's telling don't mesh together. Why does everything have to be anime these days? I know the game was made in Japan, but that doesn't mean a cartoon based on it should be anime. They never tried to do that with Super Mario Bros. (actually, they did make an anime movie of Mario bros., but Mario looked like what he was supposed to be and it felt natural. Except Luigi. He was wearing blue for some reason)

There was another short clip, which was basically an adaptation of the game itself. It was really cool! I do have complaints though, about Medusa. She doesn't look like what she's supposed to be. She should be a fat, green, ugly monsters with snakes for hair. In this she was a thin woman of light skin tone. Some exposition tells us she's the goddess of darkness. What? Since when? And she doesn't have a real motivation for taking over the sky world. Just because she's EVIL, and that's what EVIL people do. Sure in the game she was a 1-dimensional villain, but in a professional looking anime, I expected more depth.

I'll close my rant here.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Honestly, I find a lot of anime to be nonsense like what you describe, though I usually chalk it up to cultural differences.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

If you listen to the in game dialog, they talk about all kinds of stuff that doesn't belong in the game. Such as how one of the enemies look like Metroids, and another character (Viridi) tries to shut you up about it. It's just using 4th wall humor that breaks out of it's own genre.

The free 3DS videos are obviously just a way of advertising. I was just upset that it got bumped off the 3DS video list before I could watch it all. It's probably online, but not in 3D.

I enjoy the humor the game has. Especially all the hot springs jokes.