Misconceptions of the Classics

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Misconceptions of the Classics

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Yesterday I replayed Star Fox, for the first time since my age was in the single digits. In the battle with Andross, the big face sucks in air and pulls me in, and... doesn't swallow me! :O

No matter how hard I try, the arwing can't get pulled into his mouth. For two decades I assumed this was the classic fatality to Andross - getting swallowed by him - but he never does it!

Also, the black hole makes a reference to Fox's missing father. I was surprised this game had a short, throwaway line to a deep story thread I thought was only introduced in Star Fox 64.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

You know, I downloaded all the hit N64 games for emulator, just to see what I "missed out on" as a kid, and I've yet to find the motivation to even check them out.

It seems the only games I'm interested in playing when I'm in the mood for gaming are old DOS games, and Quake and stuff.

I must say, I quite enjoyed playing Super Smash Bros. I'll have to check out Starfox one day.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm talking about the SNES Star Fox. Most people consider Star Fox 64 the best, but the original SNES game is the iconic classic. It's also a Miyamoto original that was his calling to putting a 3D game on a 16-bit console. And it's a 3D game done right.

It could have just been another generic space shooter with it's selling point being 3d, but it went beyond that. There was actually an atmosphere and a mythology that makes it stick out. Instead of the tired old 'you're a human space fighter defending the world from aliens. Go get em!' the pilots are alien anthropomorphic animals fighting other furries, and they even talk with funny voices during gameplay. Peppy hare sounds eerily like the bob-omb noise they put in mario 64. It even has warp zones and alternate adventures akin to Mario. That was back when Miyamoto was still young and passionate, before he got tired and kept falling back on recreating mario and zelda for the nth time.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass