Enjoyable DOS games

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Enjoyable DOS games

Post by Bubbatom »

G'day, I decided to make this topic so that we can share opinions on different DOS titles and get an idea on what titles everyone is playing at the moment (similar to the "what Keen games are you currently playing" thread).

I'll start us off with some of the DOS games I've been playing recently (excluding Keen) :p :

~Simfarm -Loved it as a kid
~I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
~Demon Blue -Probably the strangest DOS game I've played, but amazing titlescreen music! :rollin
~Extreme Pinball -Another great loved game as a child
~Monster Bash
~Cannon Fodder
~Boppin
~Arkanoid
~God of Thunder
~Sam and Max Hit the Road

I'd recommend any of the above titles and especially Demon Blue as I've had a bit of fun with this one, even though I still haven't worked out the aim or even how to beat the first level (assuming there's more than one level) :stunned .

That's about it. Looking forward to hearing some of the games you guys have been playing!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I'm currently playing Xcom: Terror from the deep. A bit harder than the first Xcom game. One of the few strategy games I can really get into. Got it off of steam a while ago.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

X-Com! I need to play that. Cool list, Bubbatom. I'm gonna check 'em all out. The only games I'm familiar with are God of Thunder and Monster Bash (from that list). The greatest DOS game I've ever played was Star Control 2. And I still do play it from time to time. Played a round of Super Melee only a few days ago. If you haven't played it yet, your life is incomplete!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I sure will check it out!
And as for x-com terror from the deep, I downloaded it awhile back but haven't had the time to boot it up yet.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Whoo! Great thread!

DOS games are the only games I ever really cared about.

As far as I'm concerned, Monster Bash and Quake are the greatest games ever created. This is not a contradiction, as they are both equally perfect.

Other games I love include:

Hocus Pocus
Dangerous Dave 2
Bio-Menace
Marshmallow Duel (A multi-player death-match game)
Gateworld (Just kidding, lol)

As for games that I'm playing currently, well... I'm currently playing Clyde's Adventures and Clyde's Revenge. They're pretty horrible, but the former is rather interesting, as it's sort of a beta of Hocus Pocus. Even the first level bears a strong resemblance to that of Hocus Pocus. The sequel came out after Hocus Pocus, but while they definitely have similarities, I'm surprised by the lack of quality in the Clyde games, especially compared to the visually stunning Hocus Pocus. It's the same developer, though the Clyde games are not published by Apogee.

Check'm out here:

http://dosgames.com/dl.php?filename=htt ... ydeadv.zip

http://dosgames.com/dl.php?filename=htt ... ydsrev.zip

Basically, Clyde is to Hocus Pocus as Dangerous Dave is to Commander Keen. (Only DD2 is actually a good game, whereas both Clyde games are just pure dog doo-doo)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Star Control 2 is on Abandonia but I would recommend the Ur-Quan Masters version.

I also highly recommend Tyrian 2000

Thanks for the links, Para. I'll check these out too. Spread da luff!
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

My favourites were:

Command & Conquer
Master of Magic
Micro Machines 2
Incredible Toons
Lucas Arts adventures obviously

But if you wanna hear bout some less famous ones that are still enjoyable:

SPISPOPD
Skyroads
Laser Light
Krypton Egg
Shuffle Puck Cafe
Night Hunter
Reunion
Fuzzy's Space Minigolf
Street Rod
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Heh. Here is a new thing to add to the list, on top of Keen, it's my contribution to this topic...

Jill of the Jungle
Billy the Kid (returns)
Winter Challenge
Aquanoid
Wacky Wheels
Lemmings
The Incredible Machine 3
Monkey Island 2
Heartlight

<3 Dos! <3 <3 <3
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Jetpack
Jazz Jackrabbit
Darksun: Shattered Lands
Dune 2
Pea Shooting Pete/Spit Wad Willy

I think all the others that I like have been said already. In before this thread lists every DOS game ever.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Let's see, aside from the obvious Apogee/ID/Epic Megagames stuff... here are some that have kept me coming back for more over the years.

Theme Park
Llamatron 2112
Paragon
Star Goose (though the Amiga version is far superior)
Zone 66
Constructor
Someone beat me to Tyrian :'(

And I can't think of anything else right now, so this etc
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Ah, yes... I know some of these have already been covered, but I must relist them for emphasis and also to show my appreciation for them:

Skyroads (One of the best games ever)
Billy The Kid Returns (Still have my floppy)
Jetpack (Still have my floppy)
Jazz Jackrabbit (Still have my floppies)
Heartlight (I specifically remember picking this out at the software store in 1994... still have the floppy)
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Crystal Caves
Xargon (I thought this game was awesome as a kid... Not sure how it holds up now)
Word Rescue Episode 3 (I just love anything that's horror for kids... These and Math Rescue are the only Apogee floppies I have left)
Scubaman (From the makers of Billy the Kid, and similar to the next game)
Scubaventure (Only other game to use the Monster Bash engine. Like Gateworld, I believe this was almost was an Apogee game.)
Hugo's House of Horrors (More campy DOS horror... Also, a great adventure game. I love it!)
Nitemare 3D (Also known as Hugo 4, this is a crappy-but-fun horror-themed Wolf3D clone)
Any of the Catacomb games
Waxworks

That's all I can think of for now... I'll post back later when I remember more games.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Scarlet wrote:Wacky Wheels
YES! I love that game! The music is so gosh darn great!

tulip wrote:Skyroads
Spent hours and hours on Skyroads. Happy the day when I actually completed every level at least once.

Paramultart wrote:Hocus Pocus
Word Rescue Episode 3
Really enjoyed Pocus. I never was able to get my hands on the full version -- which is sad because the later levels look cool.

Word Rescue ftw! Still a fun game today. Incidentally, this game turned out to be almost essential to my Keen Project!

But guys! I forgot to mention an extra awesome game! It's especially awesome for 2 player co-op!
Cyber Dogs!

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

troublesomekeen wrote:
Scarlet wrote:Wacky Wheels
YES! I love that game! The music is so gosh darn great!

We have a guess that game topic btw. :) Perhaps a picture of it would have worked there, I don't think I linked one yet, or maybe I did, I dunno. Oh well. :/

I never played that game at home. :( I played it at friends houses though... sigh.

Paramultart wrote:I know some of these have already been covered, but I must relist them for emphasis and also to show my appreciation for them:
LMAO! HAHAAHA That made me laugh.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I played many 80s games on my old Amstrad but the one that has stuck in my heart (alongside Keen obviously) actually came on the same floppy as Keen1, off some magazine called "What personal computer". The game is Pango, and experts can be watched playing it on youtube. Simple yet excellent fun!

Other than that, I love Cosmo and Wacky Wheels, and always enjoyed Duke Nukum 1. Wasn't so keen on Duke Nukum II, and I thought Hocus Pocus was bland in its graphical style, in fact I'd say it was largely responsible for me disliking 256 colour platformers, preferring the necessity of good drawing that comes with the 16 colour limit! Oh someone mentioned Xargon, yeah likewise I yearned for years to play it after seeing my pal playing it but now I am old and wise and think it's quite lame!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I grew up playing the following, most with my sister:

-Keen 4 (der)
-Jazz Jackrabbit shareware
-SKYROADS
-GOD OF THUNDER
-Duke Nukem II
-Gate World
-Raptor
-Descent (trial version with too few weapons.)
-Xargon
-Hocus Pocus
-Helius
-Rescue Rover (briefly :P )
-Occasionally Heretic, but that wasn't that great.
-Probably loads of others I have forgotten.

I'd happily play all of those again, and in the case of Keen, GoT, Jazz and Skyroads I never really stopped!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass