Rise of the Triad

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Rise of the Triad

Post by Roobar »

Well, I was really surprised: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/zuxf ... ut-trailer

What do you think?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I am bemused, but cynically waiting for them to ruin everything.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't think they'll ruin it. There is a :dopefish in the water! At least they're a big fans of the original and they feel very enthusiastic about it:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/l2yf ... -interview
A Kick in the Pants
Vortininja

Post by A Kick in the Pants »

I only have Shareware RotT. I like it, but can't help feeling that some parts are a little cheesy (like turning into a dog), but it's good humor. :)
Looking forward to this. :drool

Edit: I got Rise of the Triad: Dark War and Extreme Rise of the Triad yesterday.
Last edited by A Kick in the Pants on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I really like the arcade element to this that's missing out of so many shooter these days that take themselves really seriously (not that there's anything wrong with that....its just refreshing to be outside the norm), besides games like TF2. If the game doesn't get too dark ( the original was ROTT pretty dark in tone, but I'm mostly talking about occult kind of stuff ), I'll definitely be trying this.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

A lot of the scenes look kind of similar to Return to Castle Wolfenstein...

It still looks kinda promising
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

didnt ROTT have one of the weirdest god damn game engines or what? like a halfway mix between the wolf3d and doom engine.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

Bernie wrote:didnt ROTT have one of the weirdest god damn game engines or what? like a halfway mix between the wolf3d and doom engine.
As I recall, ROTT had multiple elevations like Doom, but orthogonal walls like Wolf 3D. There was another game that had that called Cyclones. The interesting thing about Cyclones was that you used the mouse to aim and keyboard to move, which is a setup that became more common in later generations of FPS, but unlike them, the mouse did not turn your character. Instead, it just aimed moved the crosshairs around the screen.
My keyboard has no caps lock. It has a BRIAN BLESSED button!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I heard ROTT was based off the Wolf3D engine?

(I can find a source if anyone dares to even question my knowledge on the matter!).
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

fantomx11 wrote:As I recall, ROTT had multiple elevations like Doom, but orthogonal walls like Wolf 3D.
yeah it had the elevations but you could only go up vertically via sprite platforms. the floors and ceilings didn't change height like doom.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

In fact, "a halfway mix between the wolf3d and doom engine" is almost a literal description:
http://theodor.lauppert.ws/games/rott.htm
The ROTT engine initially started out as the Wolf3D engine. The Wolf3D engine was a REAL mode engine rather than a PROTECTED mode engine like Doom. My first task was to rewrite the engine so that it was a PROTECTED mode engine.
John Carmack gave me a little piece of code which turned out to be the assembly inner loop for Doom. ROTT, it turns out uses the same scaling routines as found in Doom (who would have thought). Apogee also signed a deal with id that would allow us to put floor and ceiling code in ROTT. Once this was done the game really took on a whole new look.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

oh cool. im good arent i ;)
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I really hope they have a level composed entirely of 90 degree wall segments.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!