Duke Nukem 1 levels

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
A Kick in the Pants
Vortininja

Duke Nukem 1 levels

Post by A Kick in the Pants »

Some levels I made for Duke 1:
http://www.mediafire.com/?smswo3zu9wfs16t

NOTE: Requires de_decod (comes with DukeEdit v2.01) and REGISTERED Duke 1 trilogy to decode the enc file in the zip. Decoder available here: http://dosclassics.com/duke/downloads/dn1edit20.zip

Not the best levels, but try 'em out anyway. :)

The text file in there has a typo, I was supposed to type "Duke Edit v2.0", not "Duke Edit v1.0".

Some of the levels don't have cameras or DUKE letters because I couldn't find any reasonable places to put them. Also, they could be a lot better, but I mainly made them to try out the various Duke 1 editors.

Does anyone still often make Duke 1 levels? What are the best/worst levels you've played?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Some of the levels don't have cameras or DUKE letters because I couldn't find any reasonable places to put them. Also, they could be a lot better, but I mainly made them to try out the various Duke 1 editors.
Did you not see the level in the original trilogy with them all in a single line? (The DUKE letters.)

Also, the last level pack for Duke I played didn't have this encode nonsense. Why is it necessary?

EDIT: No. I'm not putting up with this nonsense. I'll stick to proton's Revenge.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
A Kick in the Pants
Vortininja

Levellass wrote:
Did you not see the level in the original trilogy with them all in a single line? (The DUKE letters.)

Also, the last level pack for Duke I played didn't have this encode nonsense. Why is it necessary?

EDIT: No. I'm not putting up with this nonsense. I'll stick to proton's Revenge.
Letters in a single line. I forgot about that. :o

The encode stuff is to stop people from playing custom levels who have not yet bought the full Duke 1 trilogy. I wasn't sure if encoding is still necessary these days. :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I honestly doubt it, you can rip Duke Nukem off any number of websites if you're that desperate and by and large the companies don't really care. (They care in principle of course, but the current 'trade' in illegal 90s games is not worth their time and money to stop, except in the broadest cases such as shutting down popular websites.)

Proton's revenge just had the files, copy them into a directory and viola!

Also... I'm wondering WHY custom levels are treated this way, when I make Keen 1 levels I do not protect them so that only registered users can use them, indeed even with say Keen 5 levels, if you don't have the registered game, legally or no, you can't play the levels. I HAVE the registered game and I can't play your levels and I'm not motivated to ever do so until I can copy-paste and work them.
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

Last edited by Nickssoft on Sat Sep 19, 2020 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
A Kick in the Pants
Vortininja

Nickssoft wrote:http://nickssoftware.spatang.com/classic.htm

If you have Java you can now play Protons Revenge and Protons Master Plan in your browser with no downloads required! :)
Cool, I haven't played Proton's Revenge and Proton's Master Plan yet. :) Sounds good, I'll try them.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Can I download them anyway? I like solid copies. Also, how exactly does that even work?