Star Control 2 (Ur-Quan Masters) HD version

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Star Control 2 (Ur-Quan Masters) HD version

Post by Snortimer »

One of my other favourite old games, Star Control 2, has recently been remade in high-definition by fans. The alpha release is now out. It has a few small bugs, but it's definitely playable.

Overly-dramatic trailer is here.

I spent the past few days playing this and it's pretty neat (I'm Niffiwan on that other forum, by the way).

The same guys are also working on a brand-new sequel (the equivalent of Ceilick's mods here) which they also are releasing in High Definition, and this project kinda grew out from that.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oh wow! Another Star Control fan! I'll be! I've a SC-themed mod project in my queue. When I wasn't playing Keen, Star Control 1 was the game to play, although my brothers always won in the Full Game. Star Control 2 sure is up there on the Best Games Ever Made List. Very much interested in this HD project and sequel work. I checked out Project 6014. Don't care for the direction of the story much...
Anyways, thanks Snortimer! No idea the Alpha came out!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Years ago, I was making a Keen fan game called Bloog Revolt that was a mix of the Keen and Star Control 2 gameplay mechanics (so you would travel on a spaceship and have SC2-like dialogue tree conversations with other ships you meet, and you could also land on planets and enter Keen-like levels). I ran into "coding" difficulties, though (as much as you can say that about a game-making program), so it was never finished. I still think it would be a neat combination.

I played a bit of Project 6014 and quite liked what they did, although I didn't get too far into it because I decided to wait until the final release. I didn't really get a sense of what the story was about yet. What particular things did you not like?

/offtopic:
troublesomekeen, the image in your signature is too wide for my screen resolution and is causing the board to stretch out. Could you please replace the image code in your signature with this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://i.imgur.com/I4os5.png[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/osgFr.png[/img]
All that does is split the image into two so that it will still look like one image to anyone whose resolution is wide enough, but for others it will be split up.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Okay. I done replaced duh image code. How's it looking? You're going to have to send me another one of those codes when I update my banner, which I might do soon.
:p
That Bloog Revolt project sounds awesome. My interested-in-programming-brothers often talk about making a game like that -- sorta adding that civilization, capture&defend, race2setupbase, and town-wandering elements to SCII.

Project 6014. A lot of stuff to like. The Lurg, for instance, as seen on the box art of SCII. The main thing I don't like is the part in the story that demands a revival of the Ur-Quan domination in the form of the CHMMR. Obviously any story needs conflict and excitement. It needs good guys and bad guys. But picking the CHMMR to be the new bad guys? Nah.. I'm just not feeling it. From what I gather, the the mechanical part of the CHMMR brakes, and when it does, they go around slave shielding planets without a fair trial. So the next year and a half, the Alliance of Free Stars asks you to babysit the CHMMR until they get fixed again. No telling if the fix is permanent. Oddsbodkins. What kind of story is that? Still, no matter what story is in place when they release the real thing, I'm going to play it for sure.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Yikes, that should probably have had a "spoiler" tag attached to it (does this forum have those?). I've been careful to avoid reading anything about the story arc so that I can be surprised by it later.

---
Thanks for trying out my suggestion.
The signature is still making the board wider for me, so it must be something in the board's code that's preventing it from working. Let me just test something out...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Yikes, that really broke things, didn't it? That's not one image above, that's a series of images with no spaces between them. What the board SHOULD be doing is moving some of the images to the next line if a user's resolution isn't wide enough for them to all be in one line (at least, that's what other message boards do). Is there someone around in charge of the techy stuff who might be able to change this setting?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Snortimer wrote:Yikes, that should probably have had a "spoiler" tag attached to it (does this forum have those?). I've been careful to avoid reading anything about the story arc so that I can be surprised by it later.
Oh! Shoot! *hits head against telephone pole* Sorry! That was a tad spoilerish! However! Uh... since that bit I mentioned is in the demo, i-it likely will happen at the beginning of the game! No idea what the new race's are up to. And I haven't the foggiest what the game's ending will be like. The villains seem much like the Kor-Ah--oops! I did it again! *more telephone pole*
Hey, but no worries. I bet you this demo I played will be VERY different from the actual release, which will probably takes years to complete. By that time, who knows where the Story will be? It could only be a rough draft at this point. Soooo, hey. In other news today, I tried to get the Spoiler function to work but... it was dysfunctional.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Snortimer wrote:Is there someone around in charge of the techy stuff who might be able to change this setting?
Yeah, that's the thing, nobody's really in charge of techy stuff anymore.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well...
Stardock secured the right to the Star Control franchise and apparently is going to make a new Star Control game!

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-missio ... f-stardock

But...

Why am I writing this?

Because:
1. Firaxis made an excellent XCOM game last year;
2. A new Flashback is in the works (and Another world too);
3. Ducktales is going to be remastered (a game with a pogo stick!);
4. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - rebirth of Mickey's classic Castle of Illusion is in the works;
5. Rise of Triad is coming very soon; Shadow Warrior, Thief;
6. Homeworld 1 and 2 will have hd remakes;
7. Oddworld will have a new hd remake;
8. A lot of quests are coming or are back (like Larry 1);
9. The Bitmap Brothers’ classic The Chaos Engine will get a remake;
10. Syndicate, Age of Empire 2 HD, Shadowrun...
11. and many more recently revived classics and others coming! And I'm talking about official ones!

So many classics are revived!
And I mean how in the world almost every single freaking classic game gets a remake or a sequel, but KEEN?!?!? HOW COMES?????? :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O
@$#%^@%$^%$#@^%@$#@!^%@$#%^$@!#^%#$@!
#$^!$@#^@$%^@#$!%#@!%$#!%
#$%@^@%@%@&@%^@$^%$#!%!#% :celtic :celtic :celtic :celtic :celtic
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Thanks, wiivn!
This is terribly exciting news! It would take a miracle for someone to make a game equal to or better than Star Control II. Good luck, Stardock! Make dreams come true!
I still have to play the HD Remake, but my new portable hard drive is coming in the mail soon.... ....and then I can free up some space. 1,200 MB of Keen projects and pictures takes up a significant space on my poor old laptop.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Come now developers, Keen is ripe for remake!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:Come now developers, Keen is ripe for remake!
Star Control to Major Dev
Take your modding pills and put your gaming on
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

For here
Is my spaceship made of tin cans,
Far above the world.
Planet Earth went boom
And there's something I can do.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.