Why do people hate Sonic 2006, Keen GBC, and Daikatana so mu

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I loved Sonic Adventure. I feel like it stands alone among the 3D Sonic games (at least the ones I'm familiar with) in maintaining the campy atmosphere and cartooniness of the earlier games, in everything from the animation to the music to the story. If I had to criticize anything about it it would be the mixed quality of the gameplay from character to character...Sonic's stages are all excellent; Knuckles' hunting stages are mostly enjoyable, and the game plays to his indifference towards Sonic and single-minded duty towards guarding the Master Emerald well, though a couple of the larger stages become a slog after having to wander for too long; playing as Tails is great, especially being able to fly and all, but may be held back a bit by the whole racing aspect; I actually like E-102 γ's shooting stages, and loved his story (though it took me a while to figure out what was going on with him) but I can see how they wouldn't be for everybody; Amy only gets three stages but they're pretty cool, and having ZERO on your ass all the time can be either an adrenaline boost or just a complete irritant; and needless to say Big the Cat's fishing stages are the most stupid idea I've ever heard of for any game, especially in a series famous for its "fast" gameplay. Chaos is a legitimately interesting tragic character as well as a badass and Robotnik/Eggman is just the right combination of ridiculous and threatening.

Sonic Adventure 2 was also a great game and will always have a special nostalgic place in my heart, but I feel like with the introduction of Shadow the series started taking itself more seriously and pursing "darker" themes, perhaps to its ultimate detriment.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So then... Sonic Drift and Sonic Riders. What say? I did like Drift, a very calming game to play, not lime most Sonic games.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

Huh, no mention of the Tails games? Tails' Adventure was probably the best game on the Game Gear system, even if Tails' Sky Patrol was equivalent to carrying nitroglycerin while playing football...
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

In my understanding, Sonic 2006 was one of those games that was released well before it was ready, much like a certain truck racing game. Granted, not quite in the Obvious Alpha state, but all the same the game was not as thoroughly tested as it was given time to be.

I've never played Daikatana, but my understanding is that it was hyped and hyped and hyped... and everybody was so tired of the hype that they never really gave it a fair chance.

As for Keen GBC... I don't like it because it doesn't taste right to me, in a manner of speaking. I can't really explain it better than that. It's a bit like ordering Pepsi and getting Coca-Cola.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Pokota wrote:As for Keen GBC... I don't like it because it doesn't taste right to me, in a manner of speaking. I can't really explain it better than that. It's a bit like ordering Pepsi and getting Coca-Cola.
It's that good?
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Pokota wrote:As for Keen GBC... I don't like it because it doesn't taste right to me, in a manner of speaking. I can't really explain it better than that. It's a bit like ordering Pepsi and getting Coca-Cola.
Maybe it's more like ordering RC Cola and getting Coca-Cola. It's still fine, on its own level, and perhaps even similar, but just far more generic and less special than what you were hoping for.

(Though I haven't had or even seen RC Cola in so long I forget if it's even very interesting or good)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

@StupidBunny That's a pretty realistic review. I really liked your line "Robotnik/Eggman is just the right combination of ridiculous and threatening", I think that was part of the problem with the 2nd game. By the end, he just became comic relief.

And yeah, in general, I think Sonic Adventure 2 started alot of trends that hurt the series. Like Knuckles being more of Sonic's pal, rather than an obstacle character for Sonic (like he was in Sonic 3 and Adventure). It also started the trend of fighting robots that didn't use animals to power them. It also made "teamwork" its tagline, which got too syrupy. If those and other issues only remained in SA2, that would've been fine, but alot of stuff spilled over into the other games.
Boreas249 wrote:I heard mixed things about the Sonic Adventure games, mainly about Sonic Adventure 2. Some say they were good, others hated them. Gonna try them anyway though, I might wound up liking them.
Yeah, I recommended Sonic Adventure and not its sequel. In SA2, the Sonic levels play alot like the first game (and Shadow's gameplay is identical to Sonic), but they force you to play as the other characters.
Pokota wrote:In my understanding, Sonic 2006 was one of those games that was released well before it was ready, much like a certain truck racing game. Granted, not quite in the Obvious Alpha state, but all the same the game was not as thoroughly tested as it was given time to be.
Yeah, I would say that definitely explains the "brokenness" of the game. However I didn't like the unusual story and I felt it had bland graphics, which would've happened, whether it was rushed or not.
Last edited by Lava89 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 16:23, edited 3 times in total.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Keen GBC actually has excellent music and sound (for tinny 4-channel mono, of course) there are some bad design choices, but it's not a horrible platform game by any means.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Do we have the GBC music and\or graphics ripped anywhere?
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I just finished ripping it yesterday. I've put it up on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 598BKWBRZk) and will through something together onto the wiki in a few days. Unfortunately as the sound rips are wavs, the wiki downloads will have to be compressed MP3s.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A .zip file is of similar compression, surely you can do that? .tar is even better.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

The best I could get with any file compressor was 55% (compared to an MP3's 80-90%), so I just ended up zipping up the raw WAVEs and uploading them to https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/925 ... 0Music.zip (333 MB).
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I see. Your wave files are insanely detailed. I can only get 'em down to 270MB.