Why do people hate Sonic 2006, Keen GBC, and Daikatana so mu

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Why do people hate Sonic 2006, Keen GBC, and Daikatana so mu

Post by Cobalt »

I think they're too hard on those games :(
I'm the cool blue keener.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I can only really speak about Keen GBC as I haven't played the other two games, but my god is it a pile of crap. The atmosphere is gone, the story sucks ass and the entire game looks cheesy because for some crazy reason they decided to redo the graphics entirely.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Sonic 2006 had alot of hype going for it. Firstly, some of the criticism for the previous games was that there was an over abundance of Sonic's friends and this seemed to be rectified in early screen shots, where it only showed Sonic. I also remember there were rumors that it was meant to be a quasi-reboot of the series (which actually makes sense, given the unusual storyline and name as just "Sonic the Hedgehog"). And let's not forget that this was Sonic's first foray onto "next-gen" systems (PS3, Xbox, etc). When I saw the early footage of the game, it looked amazing to me, initially. And one video even promised a night \ day cycle system in the game.

Then the reviews came in, giving the game scores around 50% (which is actually very unusual for a Sonic game, except when the reviewer bashes a port for not doing more than porting the game). And I couldn't believe it. But once I played the game, I realized how bad it was (in my opinion).

To me, the game is very broken (it was hard for me to complete levels when a friend let me play it) and glitchy. And graphically..once you're up close to it all, the graphics are very bland in my opinion...they do the job of being next gen with high resolution textures and high poly count on the models, but the actual look comes across as uninspired...especially when you're in the adventure stages. And the animations look very stiff.

The story is also really weird. The humans play a much bigger role and the art style of the human characters don't fit Sonic at all. It has this quasi-Final Fantasy knock-off thing going on.

I'm hard on the game because I expect more from a Sonic game. As much as people bash Sonic's 3D games these days, they still got good reviews when they came out...that is until Sonic 2006 came along. It really gave the character a stigma, which is a shame. Also, the game was released in 2006 and had at least the previous games to fall back on, so it had no excuse to suck. Much like how I think Superman 64 is a worse game than ET for the Atari, because Superman 64 came out at a time when you didn't expect games to suck.

Have you ever seen the Sonic Cycle? Thankfully people stopped posting it for the most part after Sonic Colors came out. But if you look at it, it perfectly describes the hype that I just talked about. And here's the kicker, even though people would post the cycle whenever a new Sonic game was announced (thinking they were being clever), that cycle only describes the hype that was Sonic 2006. Because none of the games before it made people think that it wouldn't have Sonic's friends in it (Heroes and SA2 proudly displayed Sonic's pals) and no game after it applies either (Sonic Unleashed, Colors and Generations are actually the first games since Sonic CD to only feature Sonic). But that just shows how large of a negative impact the game had on the series and its taken a long time for Sonic to recover (if at all).
Last edited by Lava89 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 23:09, edited 13 times in total.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i never played the sonic 2006 one, but i do agree with you on daikatana. its not bad actually, i dont get why people hated it so much. the worst thing about it is the bugs in it (which ruined my game and i was never able to finish it).

but yeah keen GBC aint so good. i didnt like the concept of having a few, long, hard levels (see? im not gay), as opposed to many, easier, shorter levels.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Keen GBC isn't that bad to be honest, I haven't played much of it, but while it's far from being anywhere as good as any of the original Keen games, it isn't too bad. Still though it deserves aome of the criticism it gets.

Daikatana is an insult to gamers everywhere.

Sonic 06 sucks. Boring, broken, buggy gameplay, storyline... um... just doesn't quite seem right for a Sonic game to me.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Boreas249 wrote: Sonic 06 sucks. Boring, broken, buggy gameplay, storyline... um... just doesn't quite seem right for a Sonic game to me.
Well put. :)
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

But Sonic had the ability to jump forever using a gem! He's got Keen beat in the vertical department now! :mort
I'm the cool blue keener.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Because Keen GBC and Daikatana were absolutely god-awful -- that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

All copies of Daikatana and Keen GBC need to be dumped in the Marianas Trench, where they will never be seen again.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

_mr_m_ wrote:All copies of Daikatana and Keen GBC need to be dumped in the Marianas Trench, where they will never be seen again.
It's been done, it's been done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

Cobalt wrote:But Sonic had the ability to jump forever using a gem! He's got Keen beat in the vertical department now! :mort
...Impossible Bullet says hi.

I don't think Sonic Next Gen would have received as much criticism if it wasn't a 15th anniversary release. As for Keen GBC, it's not terrible, but its controls and enemies need work (I did like the Robo-Bloog though, it's kinda funny). Also, what in blazes is Daikatana?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Flyingmouse wrote: As for Keen GBC, it's not terrible, but its controls and enemies need work (I did like the Robo-Bloog though, it's kinda funny).
Exactly my thoughts. The controls and enemies are clunky and clumsy.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

I just want to bask in the glory of the old Sonic and totally disregard everything else Sonic related, until a good new Sonic game comes out. (emphasis in GOOD)

And don't even get me started on that awful Sonic anime. Sonic X or whatever. Kill it with fire.

But Sonic 1-3, 3D Blast, all that good stuff... Back when there was little to no human interaction in the games, no unfitting crap jammed into the game, or promotion of beastiality, just good ol' Sonic... and Tails... and Knuckles... & stuff.

I liked the Sonic Advance games too by the way.... those were cool.
Well SA3 was... ok.

And Sonic Battle, that was alright.

Sonic 4 looks cool, haven't gotten to play it yet though...

But... *sigh* damn I miss the old Sonic...

Thanks Sega. For nothing.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Boreas249 wrote:I just want to bask in the glory of the old Sonic and totally disregard everything else Sonic related, until a good new Sonic game comes out. (emphasis in GOOD)
Have you tried Sonic Generations?

I also recommend Sonic Adventure, because to me, it took alot of classic Sonic gameplay aspects and applied it in 3D pretty well. To me, its the true Sonic 4.
Boreas249 wrote:Sonic 4 looks cool, haven't gotten to play it yet though...
Well, I can only speak for Sonic 4: Ep I. Its not a bad game, but the 2D Classic Sonic gameplay in Generations is closer to the original games than Sonic 4 was...a game which SEGA was touting as a spiritual successor to the Genesis games.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Lava89 wrote:
Boreas249 wrote:I just want to bask in the glory of the old Sonic and totally disregard everything else Sonic related, until a good new Sonic game comes out. (emphasis in GOOD)
Have you tried Sonic Generations?

I also recommend Sonic Adventure, because to me, it took alot of classic Sonic gameplay aspects and applied it in 3D pretty well. To me, its the true Sonic 4.
Boreas249 wrote:Sonic 4 looks cool, haven't gotten to play it yet though...
Well, I can only speak for Sonic 4: Ep I. Its not a bad game, but the 2D Classic Sonic gameplay in Generations is closer to the original games than Sonic 4 was...a game which SEGA was touting as a spiritual successor to the Genesis games.
I heard mixed things about the Sonic Adventure games, mainly about Sonic Adventure 2. Some say they were good, others hated them. Gonna try them anyway though, I might wound up liking them.

Somic Generations actually looks good, I hadn't heard much of anything at all about it, but looking at it now, I definitely wanna try it.

I have Sonic 4, just I won't play it yet, as it's on my phone and... well, me and touchscreens don't get along, tried playing several games on this, it's just hard to control anything by touchscreen.