Retro Game Music Bundle

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Violet CLM
Grunt

Retro Game Music Bundle

Post by Violet CLM »

A bunch of 90's soundtracks for $1, or a whole bunch more for $10. Includes Duke 2, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Wacky Wheels, Major Stryker, Stargunner, and Cosmo from the Apogee side of things; Tyrian, Jazz 1, Jazz 2, and Jazz 3 from Epic; and a lot of others. Remastered, non-module-format stuff.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

This is a load of crap.

1) For starters, Jazz Jackrabbit 3 was never released.

2) Also, these are recorded from the game directly and/or using tracker software. Anyone can make these, so why in the good god damn would anyone PAY for these?

3) While the games might be 'abandonware' this is still copyright infringement. Making money off music you didn't produce yourself...tsk, tsk. If the proper copyright HAS been obtained, it should be mentioned. The only soundtrack that even implies anything of the sort is the Myst soundtrack -- which even then sounds like it was ripped from RealMyst (http://store.steampowered.com/app/63600).
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have to second this. I prefer my module formats myself, but this is a worrying little package.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Violet CLM
Grunt

Post by Violet CLM »

Here's a link to them talking about the process of contacting the various musicians and companies. They're an established organization and have been doing this with other games for some time now.

The rest I kind of agree with (although, uh, just because JJ3 was never finished doesn't mean that no music was ever made for it), but it's no different from any other soundtrack release ever made. Buying a soundtrack for a game is cheaper than buying the whole game, I guess? That might be the rationale? I don't really know. They are remastered to some extent, though, since I've definitely heard differences (mostly in terms of certain tracks being louder than ingame) here and there.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

As a matter of fact, I quite like the JJ3 soundtrack! It could have fitted well in another expansion of Jazz 2 or in a 2D Jazz 3. But the leaked 3D game is a total crap! And I'm actually glad it never came out because no matter how much more they would have worked on it, it would still be a disaster. Unless it was re-written from scratch.

Btw the compilation is very cool. Some of my favorite game tracks are there, including Jazz and Tyrian. But then again back then, almost everything from Apogee and Epic was epic non the less!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I always say, never judge a game by its beta. Or especially its E3 presentation.
spikey
Vortininja

Post by spikey »

Just for those who see this thread and are worried they missed the scoop of the century (the soundtracks are no longer available due to "legal reasons")- you didn't. A friend of mine who got the bundle on the day sent me a track from Cosmo and Duke 2 and it was direct recording of the IMF's, nothing you couldn't make yourself.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

why would you pay for this stuff anyway? scams are so silly. they might as well have thrown in a story about a nigerian prince whos fleeing the enemy and has to hide his old game music in your computer drive.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I can send you the copies of TUIT, however I will need a goodwill gesture on your part, nothing much, just a boxed copy of Keen 6....
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

It's hard not to notice that all of the removed tracks have Bobby Prince in common. Perhaps he was upset due to the fact that he is in the process of creating "live" versions of his old music. You can check out the re-done soundtrack of Major Striker right here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/music ... d673259208
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Got to give the guy credit, he likes what he does.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

_mr_m_ wrote:For starters, Jazz Jackrabbit 3 was never released...
True, but the game was indeed scored... and a terrible, terrible alpha was leaked on the UT'99 engine. If you look at the soundtrack's description, it mentions that.

I'm not sure how I feel about this company or its cause... I feel moderately offended by its premise, though I don't really know why.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Maybe because they support the NSA?