Dust: An Elysian Tale on Steam!

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Dust: An Elysian Tale on Steam!

Post by Roobar »

Dust: An Elysian Tale is out for a long time, but now is on Steam. And is a top seller! I haven't played it before, but now that I do - WOW! What a great game it is! The graphics are mind-blowing and the gameplay is superb. I didn't expected this game to be engaging (despite the beautiful graphics), but it turns out surprisingly nice and addictive. Quite rare these days.

The game is by Dean, who is responsible for the Jazz 2 graphics. To be honest, I hated his decision to release this only for XBLA, but fortunately, he decided to release this on PC after all.

For good or for worse, so far it has nothing to do with Jazz 2 (well, except that there are rabbits. A lot of them). But I've found two game references so far: the Meatboy and one from Resident Evil 4, which is quite funny.

For some reason the game freezes for a few seconds from time to time. I don't know what's up with this. Maybe it's time for yet another upgrade, though my system is somewhat decent...

Anyway, be sure to try this out!
Violet CLM
Grunt

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tale on Steam!

Post by Violet CLM »

wiivn wrote:The game is by Dean, who is responsible for the Jazz 2 graphics.
Only two tilesets, two enemies, the intro and ending cinematics, and the Lori sprites. Everything else was Nick Stadler. Unless he did the Holiday Hare '98 graphics too, which is possible, in which case three tilesets (and also editing santa hats onto some of Nick's premade enemy graphics).
To be honest, I hated his decision to release this only for XBLA, but fortunately, he decided to release this on PC after all.
It wasn't his call. Publishing on XBLA gives microsoft pretty heavy control over your publishing options, so it had to remain an exclusive at first.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, I didn't dig deep into who made the graphics in Jazz 2. I didn't care much. For some reason Dean is much more famous and he was mentioned many times during the years. Now that you mention Nick Stadler, all I can find about him is that he is gay....

As for the XBLA, yeah, you might be right. M$ are mean garg and their contractions seems like garg now. They rip you off by any means. And the reveal of xbox 1 proves they're even worse company and are becoming a hated company. Not to mention the ugly metro interface in win8 that nobody is using and phone os that nobody is interested in.

But anyway. On a different subject, a lot of developers and publishers lately are seeing PC as a good place to port their stuff. Like Fez and Mortal Kombat 9. Some may say they're porting to the PC only for the profit, which is partly true, but I guess XBLA isn't that attractive anymore too. That's why we are seeing so many ports.