Modern vs Classic Sonic

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

I'm fine with the way modern Sonic looks. It's really not that different.

As for the games, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&Knuckles sort of towered over the rest of the franchise. There are some okay handhelds, and Sonic 1 and Sonic CD are merely 'alright'. I think the 3D games only started to become decent recently though. I didn't like the adventure games at all, and I didn't even bother playing anything after that for quite some time.

SEGA had a tough time figuring out how to transition Sonic to 3D I guess. They began to get a sense of what was needed in Unleashed, but they didn't make a full-fledged game out of that until Colors, and then they improved on that platform with Generations--which I consider to be a great 3D Sonic game. Lost World adds other things like parkour, and the tube-like planetoids work well for the Sonic formula. Overall it's a step down from Generations due to the easy bosses, a couple frustrating level gimmicks, and the pointless inclusion of the wisps. The things they added are a good foundation for future 3D games though, if they can hammer out the kinks for next time.

To Sonic's credit though, even though he's had a very uneven library over the years... Sonic 3 & Knuckles still remains one of the best games of all time in my book, and I think it is maybe the magnum opus of the 16 bit era.