Modern vs Classic Sonic

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Modern vs Classic Sonic

Post by Cobalt »

This is a subject of most debate. While modern sonic is more sleek with longer quills, classic sonic is short and more cutey. The modern sonic games focus on loads of characters with concentration on story development and the speed of gameplay, while the classic sonic games had less than a handful of characters and focused more on platforming and exploration. There is a divide between the fanbase that the modern sonic takes place in the human earth while classic sonic takes place on planet Mobius with no humans, save for Eggman.

Instead of asking your thoughts on the sonic subject, I'll ask this instead: What about modern Mario vs. Classic Mario? Modern vs classic Zelda? Nobody debates about these as much, yet they have also changed a lot over the years. Mario and Link now talk when they used to be mute. Zelda has this huge complicated multi-dimensional timeline now when it used to be a simple story. Mario has loads of useless side characters and side games just like sonic, etc. and he says "it's-a-me!" all the time. He used to be slated to platformer and puzzle games, but now has branched out to nearly every genre imaginable except for a Mario FPS.

Do you like the classics, or the moderns better?
I'm the cool blue keener.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Character evolution:

Specifically Sonic evolution:

What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

This is neat.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Ever notice how NES-SNES/Genesis generations are the only generations that aren't hideous and retarded looking?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

The modern sonic games focus on loads of characters with concentration on story development
Why would story development ever be a part of a Sonic game?
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

as always Kirby looks the same :D:D:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJDK8Tc5To
KIRBY EAT WORLD! :O
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

lemm wrote:Why would story development ever be a part of a Sonic game?
Without it, we wouldn't know why Shadow exists. If we didn't need to know why shadow exists, there would be no point to adding shadow in the first place. But we NEED Shadow the Hedgehog! He saved the series!

If not for him, Sonic would still be dead from Mephiles.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If you ask me (and nobody does.) video games are focused on being movies.

Oh goody, another unskippable five minute cutscene, let me get my popcorn.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

The cutscene is necessary for us to know that Silver gave Elise the blue chaos emerald in the past.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Levellass wrote:If you ask me (and nobody does.) video games are focused on being movies.

Oh goody, another unskippable five minute cutscene, let me get my popcorn.
There are games built around those cutscenes though, Mass Effect would be the good example and Call of Duty would be the bad example.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Cobalt wrote:The cutscene is necessary for us to know that Silver gave Elise the blue chaos emerald in the past.
ONE cutscene, yes but not nine hundred.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Lass is right. There is only one acceptable format for video-game narrative.
Games should have an optional, text-only prologue that is accessible from the game's menu, and perhaps an accompanying animated intro-sequence.
Any other plot developments should be self-explanatory through game-play, changes in level environments as well as dialog texts (which may or may not have accompanying voice-acting, so long as the exchanges are skippable), and perhaps a very, very brief prologue of each level's setting (Ahh, remember the concept of "levels" and "stages"?).
After completing the game, the player is rewarded by the closure and entertainment that an extensive ending sequence provides, which may be as long, unskippable, and detailed as it needs to be (because the game is over and you're in no hurry at this point).
People may think I'm being sarcastic, but this is my honest-to-dog opinion and I believe in my heart that I am right, and anyone who disagrees with me is held partially responsible for the decay of fun in games.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I believe this is why rpgs are an easier storytelling format than other genres: the text is part of the gameplay.

There's no dragging cutscenes (well, there didn't USED to be, untill FFX set a new standard of boredom) to give you new information through text and dialogue. You talk to some NPCs or check some thing and you read it. You're not taken out of the world by doing so. You feel like you're an active participant in these conversations, instead of watching two characters do it.

In FPS or platformer games, even though it seems lame, having books or signs or computers or what have you spread through the levels containing some snippets of worldbuilding and exposition makes it feel like you're discovering these things instead of being subjected to them. You can even walk right past them if you already know what it says.

The big mistake is inserting long cinematics to show the story developments. Sometimes less is more and it's better to either leave things inferred or have a small episodic exposition dump at the end of an episode where you feel like you're being rewarded for completing a chapter, then move on to the next one knowing what had transpired from a small paragraph of text.

Though it can have a better effect to leave enough clues for the player to infer what's happening without episode texts like this, it takes a bit more skill and manpower to pull off.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Games should have an optional, text-only prologue that is accessible from the game's menu, and perhaps an accompanying animated intro-sequence.
Too right! I didn't pay good money or pirate good megabytes to spend my time listening to people talk about stuff. I want to gets to the shooting of stuff and I don't want to stop until I've rescued the president's daughter!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

I think sonic 2 is the only one I really liked. It's really good.