... What I've been up to lately...

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

... What I've been up to lately...

Post by Paramultart »

Uhh... Coming soon?

"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

OMG, This will be epic. Cant wait!
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

Yes! Return of the werehog gameplay that made Sonic Unleashed so great!
I'm the cool blue keener.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I currently have stories written for the following... If only my inspiration were proportional to my motivation. :/

First trilogy:
Planned mod trilogy:
Wolf3D mod, ten years in the making:

Of course, the first one (part 4) is the point of this thread, as it's the one currently being worked on. The rest are just outlines. I have a lot of ideas and stories written and would love to see all of these projects reach fruition, but you can at least count on the Christmas mod. (Hopefully this year)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm on the inside so I'll leak every spoiler before he releases it :dopekeen
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

This is great, I literally cant wait.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

This looks awesome. Please make all of these happen somehow.

I feel I should now do my civic duty to the DOS gamers of the world and actually play Monster Bash!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

StupidBunny wrote:This looks awesome. Please make all of these happen somehow.

I feel I should now do my civic duty to the DOS gamers of the world and actually play Monster Bash!
Thanks. I definitely plan to finish all of them and have them all done within a year.
I know it sounds overly ambitious, but I think it's entirely possible considering the following:
1) Once the editor is more stable, editing Monster Bash will be easier than Keen modding due to the lack of isometric perspective, and the fact there's far less graphics and resources to modify.
2) Editing Monster Bash is one of my earliest and most specific aspirations, spanning all the way back to 1993. It is literally my dream, and therefor I have that drive to finish the project.
3) I have a plethora of unused pixel art, music and ideas to recycle to fill in a lot of blanks... Some of it even intended for previous Monster Bash-related fan-games & mods. Plus, this mod is already largely underway.
4) Christmas mods are the easiest mods. That's why they're the most common. :christmas

I am interested in receiving help for these mods, but it is a very personal project, so I'm determined to have creative control and do most of the work myself.

I know these games aren't as popular as Keen, but I consider them to be my favorite games ever and I mean that with complete sincerity. This is truly a passion project and a dream come true.

Of course, none of this would be possible without Malvineous's wonderful developments in his Camoto software.

I hope you enjoy playing the original trilogy. October is a good month for that. :)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

No urination on the title screen? Son i am disappoint

Great to see the modding scene spilling over into related games. Monster Bash is definitely among my favourites (but the generic Halloween content will always destine it to a lower rank), so it will be great to see what you come up with, especially given your previous work.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well damn.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

I hope you'll be able to mod monster bash, then maybe you can make levels that don't suck as much as the the original's.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is the frame in the title screen gone because you think out of the borders? :) That way the screen differentiates form the originals. But excellent art non the less. And this is really interesting, especially since it's something different from a keen mod. Sounds ambitious too, even though you've got some material, but we will see...
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I think I'll be joining SB in playing this for the first time now.

And I think having a notably different but thematically similar title screen works well - it's a different trilogy by a different producer.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Spleen wrote:No urination on the title screen? Son i am disappoint
I went through a few rough drafts of the title screen, but urine didn't make the cut. And to think, all that snow, such a golden opportunity. :(
Lass wrote:Well damn.
Patches? Patches? Spare some patches? :begging
wiivn wrote:Is the frame in the title screen gone because you think out of the borders? :) That way the screen differentiates form the originals.
It was an artistic decision to remove the borders, just like shrinking the "Monster Bash" logo, or omitting the white outline that glows around our hero. Johnny has also aged a bit since the original trilogy, which is why he sports a slimmer physique than in the originals. I had a huge debate with myself whether to take it or leave the borders out, but ultimately, I came to the same conclusion as Keening_Product: It's a new trilogy, and while it will ultimately be faithful to the original trilogy, I want to breathe life into it and shake things up a bit. The borders, like the massive MB logo, simply took up way too much room in the title screen, and I wasn't willing to sacrifice that much canvas and potential pixel art for the sake of cloning the original format. As I said before, this is a passion project. I'm making the sequels I always wanted to play, so I'm not going to cut corners to deprive myself of the full Monster Bash experience. There will be some differences, but continuity is what I'm striving for here.
But excellent art non the less. And this is really interesting, especially since it's something different from a keen mod. Sounds ambitious too, even though you've got some material, but we will see...
Thanks... And yes, we will. :)
Keening_Product wrote:I think I'll be joining SB in playing this for the first time now.

Good on ya! :D

As far as the Wolf3D mod goes, here's a link to the old Monster Bash 3D ModDB page if anybody's interested:
mb3d.moddb.com
Rest assured that I will be redoing all the art for that project, hopefully with the assistance of VBB.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Further on the subject of borders and outlines, I will let you guys in on my dilemma.
I really, really wanted to include the border and outline, but I never liked how it ate up so much of my art. When I tried to compensate for this by pulling out as many details above the border, it creates a weird third-dimensional paradox, as you can see below:

PS. I just realized that the version with the outlines was actually a slightly more recent version of the title-screen, with a few subtle changes in the shading.