The Lion King (mods)?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

The Lion King (mods)?

Post by wolfcub7 »

I'm gonna address mod games, cheat codes and gaming tips.

I love the Lion King game to bits but I've beat it a gazillion times since childhood, both on PC and Sega Mega Drive. Although it's still much fun, I thrist for something new.

I was wondering has anyone made or would anyone be interested in making a good mod out of it?

If there already exists some, could someone point me to where I could get them? And I don't mean the Minicraft or whatever...I wish for a mod out of this.

I know there's some "Lion King 2" and "Lion King 3" mods, but I can't find them anywhere to get - plus, they seem a bit too easy. Although still better than nothing. :P

Also, I have a problem with that official Lion King game.

Here is a bunch of cheat codes and gaming tips for the Lion King game.
I try those cheat codes on my Sega Mega Drive and it won't work at all because A, B and C all make a selection! How the hell does anyone pull off those codes on Sega?!?!
First I thought that maybe they only work on the USA's Sega Genesis, that maybe they have somehow different button programming even though they should be the same console system simply titled differently. But that website claims those codes should work on any system. But as said, A, B and C make a selection therefor impossible to use for a code at the Options screen or Title screen!

Also that first cheat code mentioned, Level Select...I could rotate the D-pad until my thumb falls off but it won't work.

And what is "A(2)" button, anyway? Even the 6-button controller has only X, Y and Z in addition to the A, B and C.

As for the PC version...the "DWARF" code doesn't work at all. I can't get the Cheat Mode on.
Currently I have a downloaded file only because long ago I sold my purchased copy of the game away.
I'll buy it back when I one day manage to get a floppy disc slot for my PC...But anyway, shouldn't it work even on a downloaded file as it must be from someone's floppy disc...?

Does anyone else have these cheat code problems and can anyone offer a solution?

Aaaand, that site (and other sources too) also claims that The Elephant Graveyard level has a secret shortcut. But in all these years I've never found any. Lateley I even spent some time single mindedly looking for it, instead of just pokng around a bit while going through the level. But I still didn't find it. I suspect it's a rumour made up by someone who gets a kick out of other gamers wasting their time.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Modding Lion King sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately there aren't any Lion King mods :(. Lion King 2 and 3 are made by some Chinese programmers, who ripped some graphics, but the engine is different and the gameplay is nothing similar to the original. You can find these games by searching for SEGA Genesis roms...
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

The DWARF cheat only works in the full version.
At the main menu where you can choose between Start and Options you need to type DWARF. If you've done this right, the message Cheat Enabled will appear. Now you can press H in the game to get full health and L to go to the next level.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Thanks, guys. :)

I have the full version. For some reason the DWARF didn't work earlier, (I mean how can you possible not do it right, it's just typing five letters.) But I guess it might have been because of those demo sequences that interrupt the title screen every two seconds. But now I got it to work. Great. It'll be good to get to choose the level if I feel like playing just a certain level...

But for some reason only that health and level skip cheat works with the DWARF. But this site claims you should also be able to choose between the bug hunts, as well as indeed choose between the levels instead of just skip them one by one?

Oh, and I haven't been looking all that hard for those two Lion King mods. Mainly because they're indeed nothing like the official game and not even very lionkingy...I mean...Simba in China? If I did come across them I might try them but I don't know. I hope someone makes a better TLK mod in that sense at least. :P
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You may want to speak to someone over on the ModdingWiki to see if they can't reverse-engineer the game formats which would make modding that much easier.

Right now I'm working on Wastelands.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Lion King 2 was a bizarre mashup of Donkey Kong Country, ported to the NES, with Lion King sprites. I've never seen Lion King 3.

On a side note, I am thoroughly impressed with how well those pirates ported the SNES game to NES: http://youtu.be/wmhP6ACiLhQ
There are some gameplay mechanics I wouldn't even think the NES was capable that they somehow pulled off seamlessly.

Here's the atrocious 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYZEtfBScc4
And 3, which they did a slightly better job at:
http://youtu.be/oAk2uuQj45U
And we all know that 5 comes after 3: http://youtu.be/VsRx5LcRu2c
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Some parts of The Lion King have been reverse engineered and level editing is definitely planned, but until now it was a low priority for me because I've never seen anyone ask for an editor before. Camoto is able to decrypt and edit the .EPF data files the game uses, but it doesn't support any files inside there yet.

The game shares some file formats with a number of other games by the same studio, and I've seen a few forum posts in Russian that have reverse engineered quite a few of the file formats (mostly the graphics.)

So a Lion King editor will exist soon enough I'm sure.
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

wolfcub7 wrote:But for some reason only that health and level skip cheat works with the DWARF. But this site claims you should also be able to choose between the bug hunts, as well as indeed choose between the levels instead of just skip them one by one?
Maybe
  • it's for a more up-to-date version,
  • it's not for the DOS version, but for example the Amiga
  • they used a trainer or something
  • they've made it up just for laughs
  • they've made it up to see who would copy their content without checking whether it would even work
Anyway, I've disassembled LIONKING.EXE and I've found the L and H cheats, but not the other ones.