This could be the greatest thing to happen to...

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

This could be the greatest thing to happen to...

Post by Paramultart »

... the Doom 3 engine.

Behold, a standalone, freeware game on the Doom 3 engine that emulates the game play of the original Thief games.
www.thedarkmod.com
This is most interesting for its inclusion of an editor, as well as a comprehensive list of lightweight, downloadable missions.
www.thedarkmod.com/missions/

I haven't been excited about a new game in a very, very long time, but this is definitely something worth checking out.
Last edited by Paramultart on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Looks like something wrong has occurred to the domain darkmod.com, but there is an alternative: http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

Thanks for the heads-up! I've had this feeling that aren't a lot of projects taking advantage of the Doom 3 code (original or BFG), but they surely exist. Nice to see that a version of the mod is already available for download, too.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

My mistake! Fixed the link, thanks for pointing that out.
I scoured the internet and didn't see any other standalone Doom 3 mods. The "Stand-alone" thing really appealed to me because I don't actually own a copy of Doom 3 anymore.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Paramultart wrote:My mistake! Fixed the link, thanks for pointing that out.
You're welcome!
I scoured the internet and didn't see any other standalone Doom 3 mods. The "Stand-alone" thing really appealed to me because I don't actually own a copy of Doom 3 anymore.
I don't know if you also refer to any mod which is planned to be released in standalone form in the future, but anyway: The following mod still in development (heXen:Edge of Chaos), originally requiring a copy of Doom 3 itself (code and data), is now planned to be released as a standalone game: http://hexenmod.net/

A demo from 2010 that requires Doom 3 may currently be found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hexen-edge-of-chaos/downloads
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I've seen that project before... Beautiful!
Much better than Raven themselves could do, especially given the last ten years of games they've put out.

It's so inspiring seeing such amazing mod projects. At the same time, seeing how a majority of them wind up unfinished or canceled, it just goes to show how much more could be accomplished with financial backing, and how much potential is wasted due to these talented game designers not having actual careers in the game industry.