Hocus Pocus Music Engine Appreciation Thread

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Caribbean Blue
Grunt

Hocus Pocus Music Engine Appreciation Thread

Post by Caribbean Blue »

I had the idea for this thread before the forums were upgraded...

This is basically just a thread to share the songs that you've imported into Hocus Pocus.

http://www.filenanny.com/files/46b88e00 ... engine.zip

There is a ZIP file of the WAVs and MP3s that I've recorded in DOSBox that I've put into Hocus Pocus.

All That Jazz Opening/Part 1- I imported this song for my sister. All That Jazz is her favorite song, and she wanted to hear it in Hocus Pocus. Of course, since you can only import a certain file size, I had to split it into parts. I never ended up finishing it. :dopefish

Everyone's A Little Bit Racist- Another song for my sister...

Hay Seed- This is a midi from the game The Incredible Machine by Sierra. Because note velocities aren't supported in Hocus Pocus, the drums sound like a washing machine gone on the fritz.

hocus_020.wav- This is basically a compilation of three different piano songs using different instruments. The first is George Gershwin's 2nd Prelude using the harp instrument. The second is George Gershwin's 3rd Prelude using the piano instrument. The third is Aphex Twin's Avril 14th using the honky tonk.

hocus_021.wav- Boadicea by Enya

hocus_022.wav- cavebash from Monster Bash.

hocus_023.wav- Candy Land Theme from Math Rescue

hocus_024.wav- A neat effect on a song in already in Hocus Pocus using pitch bends.

hocus_025.wav- A song from Word Rescue

hocus_026.wav- The Wayward Wind

I have many other songs which I haven't recorded yet.

I just really like the adlib instruments in Hocus Pocus... and that chorused effect that goes along with them. The drums can be pretty pathetic sometimes, but other than that, what do you think?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It seems interesting, judging by the text written here, but it'll take ages for me to download that file with my connection. I'll try...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Violet CLM
Grunt

Re: Hocus Pocus Music Engine Appreciation Thread

Post by Violet CLM »

Caribbean Blue wrote:I had the idea for this thread before the forums were upgraded...

This is basically just a thread to share the songs that you've imported into Hocus Pocus.

http://www.filenanny.com/files/46b88e00 ... engine.zip

There is a ZIP file of the WAVs and MP3s that I've recorded in DOSBox that I've put into Hocus Pocus.

All That Jazz Opening/Part 1- I imported this song for my sister. All That Jazz is her favorite song, and she wanted to hear it in Hocus Pocus. Of course, since you can only import a certain file size, I had to split it into parts. I never ended up finishing it. :dopefish
Here, just for you, I slapped together a quick program to replace the Hocus music files with whatever sized .mid you want. :) http://www.tachyonlabs.com/sam/HocusMidi.zip Not particularly tested, isn't going to take the time to make sure you actually input a path and .mid file, but if you use it properly, it OUGHT to work. You are of course recommended to backup both HOCUS.DAT and HOCUS.EXE before use.
Caribbean Blue
Grunt

Re: Hocus Pocus Music Engine Appreciation Thread

Post by Caribbean Blue »

Violet CLM wrote:Here, just for you, I slapped together a quick program to replace the Hocus music files with whatever sized .mid you want. :) http://www.tachyonlabs.com/sam/HocusMidi.zip Not particularly tested, isn't going to take the time to make sure you actually input a path and .mid file, but if you use it properly, it OUGHT to work. You are of course recommended to backup both HOCUS.DAT and HOCUS.EXE before use.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

Looks awesome. I just wish someone would find out what the proper names of the songs are :D
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

I think Malvineous' XMMS plugin for IMF, CMF, DRO and WLF files was doing something similar on sound FX.
Caribbean Blue
Grunt

Post by Caribbean Blue »

But isn't XMMS only for Linux users? :(
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Winamp for Windows. I know that xmms supports some plugins from Winamp, but is the reverse also true? That's the big question here.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

DaVince wrote:Winamp for Windows. I know that xmms supports some plugins from Winamp, but is the reverse also true? That's the big question here.
You sure are crazy if you intend to feed a Win32 PE program a x86 ELF executable... not to talk about the problem with dynamic linkage mismatching (i.e. the libraries required will not be found in a Windows system anyway).

Come on, Malv released the source. It's up to you to learn to write WinAmp plugins and port it there.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Actually the reverse is possible - the Linux video player MPlayer will happily use Win32 codecs by piping them through Wine, so who knows what's possible with Cygwin.

The plugin architecture between XMMS and Winamp2 is practically identical, but I'm not sure about the later versions of Winamp. One day I'll port the plugin if nobody else beats me to it, but I have to get around to installing Windows somewhere first...unless Winamp works through Wine...
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Even though I don't use Winamp, I just tried it out for you. Winamp installs and runs fine in Wine. Even the visualization thingy pops up!
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

I'm really confused now. A winamp plugin to put any-sized midi into hocus.dat, move the rest of the data forward, and fix the lookup table in hocus.exe? I'm thinking either I've misread a bundle of posts, or someone else has.
Caribbean Blue
Grunt

Post by Caribbean Blue »

szevvy wrote:I'm really confused now. A winamp plugin to put any-sized midi into hocus.dat, move the rest of the data forward, and fix the lookup table in hocus.exe? I'm thinking either I've misread a bundle of posts, or someone else has.
Well, Violet CLM created a program that allows you to insert any file size MIDI into Hocus Pocus. Shadow Master mentioned how Malvineous' XMMS plugin for IMF, CMF, DRO and WLF files creates the same chorused effect as Hocus Pocus, so now, the issue is whether the plugin works in Winamp or not.

I don't know how Violet CLM created the program.
Violet CLM
Grunt

Post by Violet CLM »

Just like szevvy said, although naturally the data has to be able to move backward as well as forward. I also played your music in the background during much of the development process, naturally excepting the times I was running Hocus for tests.
Caribbean Blue
Grunt

Post by Caribbean Blue »

http://www.mediafire.com/?82sssdby9dy

That midi file that sounds very close to the theme to Math Rescue when played in Hocus Pocus.

When played through the Adlib/Soundblaster music card, of course.