Favorite hero besides Commander Keen?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.

Who is your favorite hero of the following:

Duke Nukem
39%
Mylo Steamwitz
30%
Major Stryker
No votes
Baron Baldric
No votes
Hocus Pocus
4%
Halloween Harry
No votes
Snake Logan
9%
Johnny Dash
4%
Cosmo
9%
Benny Bookworm
4%

Total votes: 23

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Maybe I was mislead by thinking that the question was about favorite character amongst apogee characters. Outside apogee game's character, my favorite would be Sonic, followed by Jazz Jackrabbit. Coming to think of, there are a lot of others too.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Off the bunch given in the poll Mylo is definitely the coolest idea. Rigel from Farscape reminds me a lot of him.

As for heroes overall that's a pretty tough question. Usually the standard hero consists of no features except being good and strong and handsome and curageous and a bunch of other characteristics that don't form a real person. That's all needed so everyone can identify with him.
Those heroes are also the most boring (therefore the Mylo choice, he's one of those refreshing anti-heroes).

I haven't put too much thought into the hero you are playing. And (beware blasphemy) Commander Keen as a character doesn't even interest me that much, he's also relatively plain and one dimensional. But what kept me playing was the good design of the game and immersion-wise I always liked all the other alien creatures.

Take mario for example. HUGE game, I still love it. But the hero, It's-a me, is ridiculously non-fitting. Does anyone want to be an italian plumber with a mustache and a big belly? But nobody ever complained about him. The hero can be essentially unimportant for the quality of a movie/game. Moreover it's the villain often making it worthwile, see aforementioned Kane (the big exception would be Harry Potter. Voldemort must be the worst modeled villain in history)

But I guess you guys didn't want an analysis but some name dropping.

A few heroes stand out in character in my opinion, and you like playing the games just because they're in them:
Guybrush Threepwood
Sam & Max
Kirby
Vinyl Goddess from Mars (jk)

For sheer sexiness I like of course Samus Aran or Chun Li.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Hey! You said his name! How dare you show disrespect to the dark lord! He's done so many evilly things (including tearing his own soul into 8 pieces and murdering bunches and bunches of muggles), he's the evilliest of the evil! Almost as evil as mortimer! :mort
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Duke Nukem.

"Shake it, baby!"
Yeah, piece of cake!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Benny, the only one that educates you and thus makes YOU a hero too!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.