Commander Keen: The Movie?!

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote:No no, you are taking it the wrong way. In that comment I am asking a rhetorical question of all the many, many script writers I will never be able to talk to. Like 'Did the world REALLY need another Fantastic Four movie?'
Maybe we didn't need the movie, but I'm enjoying the Thing Burger and Dr. Doom Lava Cakes Denny's is serving now.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Post by GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon »

Definitely didn't need another one.

Especially since they screwed this one up.

Back on topic, should Keen have his neural stunner from the beginning or should he start off with the raygun?
Personally I think the neural stunner. I never liked the idea that I was actually KILLING things in the first three games (Any other game where it was appropriate I wouldn't mind but this is an 8 year old boy... killing things that don't even really need or deserve killed. Even as a kid I felt something was wrong with that.)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote: Back on topic, should Keen have his neural stunner from the beginning or should he start off with the raygun?
He doesn't start off with either. The raygun is an alien tool he picked up; he didn't invent it.
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote: Back on topic, should Keen have his neural stunner from the beginning or should he start off with the raygun?
He doesn't start off with either. The raygun is an alien tool he picked up; he didn't invent it.
Forgot that bit.

But either way... it doesn't feel right putting a weapon that's intended to kill in the hands of an 8 year old in the face of aliens who are just trying to survive/being mind controlled/minding their own business/etc.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I'd just like to point out that a "neural stunner" that instantly paralyzes your nervous system, like some sort of nerve agent, would be a terrifyingly deadly weapon.
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

lemm wrote:I'd just like to point out that a "neural stunner" that instantly paralyzes your nervous system, like some sort of nerve agent, would be a terrifyingly deadly weapon.
But they could come back from Keen's.

(He did zap both his parents)
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I think that the history of Id and Keen would make an interesting biopic (possibly for streaming/television release rather than theatrical)... the stories told in Flaose's mod and other little vignettes (I particularly enjoy the story of Scott Miller's fan letters). I think this could be the next "Social Network".
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Benvolio wrote:I think that the history of Id and Keen would make an interesting biopic (possibly for streaming/television release rather than theatrical)... the stories told in Flaose's mod and other little vignettes (I particularly enjoy the story of Scott Miller's fan letters). I think this could be the next "Social Network".
Tom's heartwarming optimism, the bromance between Romero and Carmack, their obsession with pizza, and the literal nightmare that was Quake's development. It is indeed great movie material.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

ScarletFlame wrote:
Benvolio wrote:I think that the history of Id and Keen would make an interesting biopic (possibly for streaming/television release rather than theatrical)... the stories told in Flaose's mod and other little vignettes (I particularly enjoy the story of Scott Miller's fan letters). I think this could be the next "Social Network".
Tom's heartwarming optimism, the bromance between Romero and Carmack, their obsession with pizza, and the literal nightmare that was Quake's development. It is indeed great movie material.
Romero and Carmack? The nerd and the cool guy? You must've meant hall, the comedy relief.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
ScarletFlame wrote:
Romero and Carmack? The nerd and the cool guy? You must've meant hall, the comedy relief.
I guess you're right. Romero and Tom are buddies, after all. I was mostly referring to Romero's and Carmack's partnership when creating doom, which was pretty awesome.
(and I do know about the whole thing with Tom and the Doom Bible, please don't remind me ;-;)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote:Back on topic, should Keen have his neural stunner from the beginning or should he start off with the raygun?
Personally I think the neural stunner. I never liked the idea that I was actually KILLING things in the first three games (Any other game where it was appropriate I wouldn't mind but this is an 8 year old boy... killing things that don't even really need or deserve killed. Even as a kid I felt something was wrong with that.)
His slaughtering of innocents is pretty canon. I could see it as a throwaway joke in the movie, not like other kids movies haven't done worse.

lemm wrote:I'd just like to point out that a "neural stunner" that instantly paralyzes your nervous system, like some sort of nerve agent, would be a terrifyingly deadly weapon.
Depends on what it is. Affecting *all* the nerves would kill you in short order and we don't see that, so I don't think that's what it is. What appears to happen is a 'shock' to the system that overcomes all voluntary muscle control. Many enemies recover and can be stunned repeatedly. They also flash white in some cases when hit, suggestive of energy.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

That's because their nerves have hit points.
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

*Horrified*

Should some of the community's made-up characters make an appearance in the movie? I think the movie should definitely have a good cast of characters.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think there's enough in canon (Billy's parents, the vorticon elder... psychic yorp statues? Nobody said it needs a lot of dialogue.)
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote: Should some of the community's made-up characters make an appearance in the movie? I think the movie should definitely have a good cast of characters.
I would only be concerned about the Mary Sues and Gary Stus.