Sega actually helping modders

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Sega actually helping modders

Post by Keening_Product »

This is neat.

"More than these cosmetic changes, though, 'every single Mega Drive [read: the Japanese/European name for the Genesis] game will now feature Steam Workshop support, allowing you to share your modified versions of your favorite retro Sega titles,' as an official announcement video puts it.

"As far as we know, this is the first time any retro console or console game maker has explicitly allowed for the legal distribution of modified copies of its classic titles in any form."

Full article here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/s ... ation-hub/

This makes sense as it shows Sega to make more Steam sales. An interesting idea. Should someone tell ID?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

sounds like unsalaried employment...
out now (link) : Image
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

A bit, isn't the promotion of Keen this community does through mods the same thing? After all, you should have legal copies of the games to run mods and the games are still sold. ...except for K6.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

But. But. But wasn't Sega known for the exact opposite of...? All the flagged videos and cease-and-desist orders?
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!? Gunstar Heroes? Shining Force II?! I'll have to investigate.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

troublesomekeen wrote:But. But. But wasn't Sega known for the exact opposite of...? All the flagged videos and cease-and-desist orders?
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!? Gunstar Heroes? Shining Force II?! I'll have to investigate.
Now, my mind is void of any knowledge of Sega's previous policies, but... did you by any chance confuse Sega with Nintendo there? :p AFAIK Nintendo ARE infamous for being extremely strict with their copyrights.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Nospike wrote:Now, my mind is void of any knowledge of Sega's previous policies, but... did you by any chance confuse Sega with Nintendo there? :p AFAIK Nintendo ARE infamous for being extremely strict with their copyrights.
Oh yes indeed. But from what I gathered listening in on the Shining Modding Community, it seems Sega was a bit "tyrannical" too. :dopefish
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

This is a Strange turn of Events.... is it "Sega USA" or "Sega Japan"?, i guess Sega USA
Sega Japan may be in the Dark, or be a sleeping bear?

"Sega Japan" was part of the Shining Force, Youtube video Flagging and channel nuking.
(many which have not been restored nor have any apology been given)
as told by one of the Afflicted Youtubers: Totalbiscuit

Like Nintento USA, Appreciate Fan content, Nintendo Japan don't really
and would either get you to sign a 60% cut before the youtube's 25% cut of ad-revenue or they will claim your video, or have it taken down.
(I think those were the numbers i heard)

They are a bit, to put it Blunt... what was the word...?

However, at least neither is Konami.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

142 mods uploaded to the hub already. As far as I can tell, it's simply a way to play mods without having to patch the roms.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

The Emulation is a little bit off at the moment depending on what game you play due to the new Game Room but Sega are looking into it as I write this. I have had good times playing some of the random mods uploaded to the Workshop.
Lunick is Here