Converting MOD

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.

Would Converting MOD to other format be cool or Not?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 06, 2016 22:20

Cool
80%
NOT
20%

Total votes: 10

Levellass
S-Triazine

Re: Converting MOD

Post by Levellass »

Aaah I remember trying to convert MOD to PSM and IT formats.. good times.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Batteryman
Vortininja

Re: Converting Terminal Velocity Music

Post by Batteryman »

Batteryman wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 18:56 I'm thinking of going a step up, i'm writing my own program to extract note data from MOD files,
Some coding update i can so far extract data like

Title name
Instrument Names
Instrument Sample Length ,
Instrument SampleLengthByte Pointer "This is useful for decode data after this pointer"
Instrument Sample Fine Tune , 4 Bit

Also it seems that MOD file use Motorola Byte , so i have to convert numbers too Intel Byte Order, to make anything useful,
That conversion is also ready.

I have too do a few stuff yet, in order to decode actually musical notes to midi tracks :-|
Batteryman
Vortininja

Re: Converting Terminal Velocity Music

Post by Batteryman »

Batteryman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 19:08
Batteryman wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 18:56 I'm thinking of going a step up, i'm writing my own program to extract note data from MOD files,
Some coding update i can so far extract data like

Title name
Instrument Names
Instrument Sample Length ,
Instrument SampleLengthByte Pointer "This is useful for decode data after this pointer"
Instrument Sample Fine Tune , 4 Bit

Also it seems that MOD file use Motorola Byte , so i have to convert numbers too Intel Byte Order, to make anything useful,
That conversion is also ready.

I have too do a few stuff yet, in order to decode actually musical notes to midi tracks :-|

I'v been doing some more stuff on my App
You can see a screenshot as proof here :
https://goo.gl/RivXcl
Batteryman
Vortininja

Programming my own Tool, if no one can, do it yourself..

Post by Batteryman »

I'v added Magic number identification and done finishing sample rate calculation

After 600 lines of codes
Now i can start to actually try too decode pattern and musical note data

i do also plan to add sample dumper, so you can store them to wav files with correct loop parameters
Batteryman
Vortininja

Re: Programming my own Tool, if no one can, do it yourself..

Post by Batteryman »

Batteryman wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 16:24 I'v added Magic number identification and done finishing sample rate calculation

After 600 lines of codes
Now i can start to actually try too decode pattern and musical note data

i do also plan to add sample dumper, so you can store them to wav files with correct loop parameters
I'v hit 1003 lines of codes, and a bunch of enum, if someone knows what that is

At first my plan was to build a tool that work for Protracker, but i have made my code so it could extend to other formats.
But my goal stands still, that is a tool that preparing tracker music to be worked on in DAW, for remixing or converting with less pain
Batteryman
Vortininja

Programming my own Tool, MOD music

Post by Batteryman »

1251 lines of codes, and a lot of declarations later:

I'v managed to implement a general way to decode Pro Tracker a.k.a mod
also all music data, such as period, effects and controls event is now converted to text
in this Example Format/Signature : Cb3 01 E1 9 C 00

This will allow a text interpreter like Regex / Regular expression,
to do nifty stuff since all events follows exactly 11 bytes.
Batteryman
Vortininja

Programming my own Tool, Code cleaning

Post by Batteryman »

I'v been cleaning up my code to alot more structured code,
But i do have some more things to add before i could continue with the Music Data to any meaningful Midi like data
i has reached 1468 lines of codes as Visual Studio tells, so i have made progress.
And i will also add : This program i'm making wouldn't be any straight up script to do only Protracker 2 midi
its much more involved than that
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

So are you actually trying to implement an algorithm that tries to guess from the waveform of a MOD instrument what instrument to choose in the resulting MIDI file?
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Batteryman
Vortininja

Post by Batteryman »

keenmaster486 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 19:12 So are you actually trying to implement an algorithm that tries to guess from the waveform of a MOD instrument what instrument to choose in the resulting MIDI file?
No this is the thing : But my goal stands still, that is a tool that preparing tracker music to be worked on in DAW, for remixing or converting with less pain

The Problem with Protracker is that unlike Midi, Samples often share channels.
The classic ProTracker has only 4 channels, vs Midi has 16, so if you want to arrange ProTracker samples, into individual channels in your DAW
You have too, in most cases, pick them out, manually, and even then guess what Root note the same correspond to.
Even then, some Mods have beats pre recorded in the samples, witch mean you have too reconstruct Midi notes from the beats.
At least making a program to separate each sample/instrument to its individual midi track, is a much better step, than do it manually and use some
tools like Awave studio or MidiPlayer from Falcosoft to get a soundbank, because you really want to monitor the original samples when remixing or converting or making a different format from the ProTracker song.

P.S : i also think Falcosoft MidiPlayer , and Awave studio are excellent programs, but i wanted to build a program that can do some other needed tasks.
Batteryman
Vortininja

Post by Batteryman »

I'v done some debugging after the code cleanup, since i actually encounter a problem if a mod file contain a empty instrument, witch made my program stuck in an infinity loop :crazy , only too finally figuring it out after a long debug session, that one line had an incorrect variable name , and that's very typical of me, doing one tiny little mistake that make it looks much worse.

Anyway, i think that's should make it ready to implement the Midi file specification and some meaningful conversion from my internal MOD to Text, to any useful Midi events :-)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Daaaaaaang.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.