Rad Rodgers - The return of the 90's era Apogee platformer?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Rad Rodgers - The return of the 90's era Apogee platformer?

Post by Roobar »

Alright, so here's what Inteceptor were all about: a platformer!

The artwork looks rad, right?

Rad Rodgers

But not so much when you see the 3D graphics... It got that Bombshell feeling. Aaaand it's a kickstarter campaign, which is an instant fail because people don't care about platformers these days anyway and interceptor doesn't have a big fan base.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHZfVCbssE

To me, honestly, it doesn't look like anything they're showing or saying it is (Commander Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, Cosmo Cosmic Adventures), but it's rather Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams. with a bit of Ruff'N'Tumble.

At least they got a talking tree from Commander Keen 4 and the ceiling hand-walking thing from Duke Nukem 1-2.

I'm of course baking this and I hope they'll succeed, but I don't have much hope and it's retrograde mercury anyway lol. So yeah. That's that.
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

eh. Basically I have never played any "modern" commercial game from the last, say, 10 years (Minecraft and Plants vs. Zombies being the only exceptions), because they're not my taste. I simply prefer the classic pixelated graphics over the modern realistic 3D graphics. So this game doesn't get me at all, but at least good to see the platformers aren't dead.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I was assuming this was going straight for the same broad family audiences its noted inspirations targeted, but the language toward the end of the trailer threw that out of the window. It had better make use of the older audience rating it's sure to land and be funny, because restricting the audience to nostalgic young adults might not be the best idea long term.

Edit: I'm certainly not saying it won't work, just that it really has to be done right. The fact the (apparently) real attitude of the game is only shown in the second half of that KS trailer suggests the marketing balance could be slightly off.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

I love this game already. Considering it needs 50,000 dolly-doos to fund it, I think they might be able to raise it in time. I really hope this kickstarter game is good, because it seems like a lot of games that were funded on kickstarter are terrible (you know what I'm talking about).

Also, I would like to point out something interesting in the comment section
Nukleon wrote:Just what Commander Keen always needed, cringey gore and swearing.
thejobloshow wrote:I always believed that if Conker's Bad Fur Day came out today it would be met with responses like yours instead of being the beloved game everyone says it is. Thank you for confirming my biases.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, the more I dig into it, the more I like it. But remember what happened with WORLDS OF WANDER? It was a disaster. Second day for Rad and only 15 000. The first 2-3 days are like the most important. Unfortunately, the peak is over and there are not enough dedicated fans (such as those from Mighty No. 9) to back this up. And even if they reach their goal, $50 000 are nothing and it is an unrealistic budget. But then again they are in this business and they should know better.
spikey
Vortininja

Post by spikey »

I just read the whole Kickstarter page spiel. I feel very undecided- on the one hand I feel excited about the concept, on the other I feel like this is going to have too much of the "3D Realms" side of the company which is where I abandoned ship, in 1995 (excessive crudity, gore etc).

I think Jon St. John is a bizarre choice for the lead character, outside of the fact that he is known to them. It almost is like trying to do a Duke III platformer without Duke, crossed with a little bit of Keen and Apogee titles, or spite Gearbox, or something. I guess I just don't quite have a feel for the game, and it doesn't seem quite "Apogee" enough for me. I would really need to watch the video of gameplay, I guess.

As far as money goes, they're now about 45% there with 24 days still left, so I would say that should do well, if they have a backer team that is pushing existing backers and recruiting more. Otherwise it could stall. We shall see :) I haven't backed just yet.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

To heat the things up, they've interviewed Scot Miller about Commander Keen!

Rad Rodgers - Behind the Classics: Commander Keen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GWnVz0kyvw

Edit:

Soo that's actually really cool:

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Lazy Game Reviews has done a quick overview (read: not a review) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsB4r0kAyMs

Shortly after posting the video, LGR got this response from the devs and posted it in the video comments:
"Thanks a ton for the quicklook. It's always great to get a fresh pair of eyes on the game from someone we admire. We had a quick meeting about your feedback, and we agree to some degree. The lives system is a tough one."

It's good 3D Realms is seeking feedback about the game - it almost has a community feel to it. Almost.

I just can't get behind the incredibly annoying characters, especially the creepy console. That cutscene is more than half the reason I'm not backing the Kickstarter. Not that my backing would be all that important anyway - the game is less that $5k away from being funded, and has nine days left. Almost there.

Edit: the concept art makes the doors look cosmetic, but in-game they look usable. I hope they are usable when the game is released.

keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Keening_Product wrote:I just can't get behind the incredibly annoying characters, especially the creepy console. That cutscene is more than half the reason I'm not backing the Kickstarter.
Oh, amen. The game could have done better without the sidekick.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I think the minigames the sidekick introduces are actually rather cool, it's just... their personality. I mean, what is this world? I assume it's a dream of Rad's, given he wakes up at the start of the scene and he's the main playable character, which means the personality of Boxy McBoxface is Mr Rogers' own creation. The "adult" side of this game doesn't quite feel right.

mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

Between this, Yooka-Laylee, and Sonic Mania, fingers crossed for a full-on 90s gaming revival?
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

3D Realms has released another interesting thing: it has teamed up with some of the most iconic legends to bring us a piece of gaming history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xY_Bum ... e=youtu.be

Featuring:
- John Romero
- Cliff Blezinski
- Tom Hall
- John Passfield
- Bill McIntosh
- Dave Taylor
- Scott Miller
- Clint Basinger

And others. Go check it out.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Thank you for linking to that - super neat! (Although someone needs to send Romero a better microphone.)

For 3DR to publish that video as part of the RR hype is surprising. Nice, but surprising. Other than that very last line, the video was not all that optimistic about the future of the old school platformers.

keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Related to this is a thread I posted on VOGONS:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49819
It's kind of the same idea as RR, but "more authentic" as it's intended for actual old hardware.

If any of you guys want to get involved I'd be delighted!
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Rad Rodgers has been fully funded! YAY! :yorp
Also oh my god that video.
"So what lead to the downfall of the popularity of the 2D sidescroller platformer?"

*Cuts to loud and gruesome DOOM footage*
It's really well made and informative. Glad to see a lot of games I love shown!
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE