Monster Bash music in IMF?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Swamper
Grunt

Monster Bash music in IMF?

Post by Swamper »

Ok guys, here's my dilemma...

I saw the thread on this board that has the Monster Bash music in MIDI format, but I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get it in IMF format. I used an extraction program on the .dat file for episode 1 to get its music, but for some reason it wouldn't work on episodes 2 or 3. Can anyone help me out?
DISCLAIMER: I don't actually hate anyone, but I like to offend people. It's compassion disguised as misanthropy.
-Conservative/Libertarian/Nationalist and proud of it!-
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

What extraction program did you use? Wombat should work for all episodes, otherwise I can upload my Bash IMFs if you'd like.
Swamper
Grunt

Post by Swamper »

Malvineous wrote:What extraction program did you use? Wombat should work for all episodes, otherwise I can upload my Bash IMFs if you'd like.
I used Wombat 0.4a. It extracts the first episode just fine, but I get an error message whenever I click on the .dat files for 2 or 3. Is there a newer version of Wombat?
DISCLAIMER: I don't actually hate anyone, but I like to offend people. It's compassion disguised as misanthropy.
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

People have mentioned errors when extracting, I tested 0.4a on my copies of Eps 2+3 and it works fine, but there probably differences in the file formats between versions or somesuch. Unfortunately, without access to your copies I don't know what I have to fix; I can PM you a link to my current non-public build with only Monster Bash support left in (cause I broke something at some point and a lot of other games are crashing), and see if it works there.
Swamper
Grunt

Post by Swamper »

szevvy wrote:People have mentioned errors when extracting, I tested 0.4a on my copies of Eps 2+3 and it works fine, but there probably differences in the file formats between versions or somesuch. Unfortunately, without access to your copies I don't know what I have to fix; I can PM you a link to my current non-public build with only Monster Bash support left in (cause I broke something at some point and a lot of other games are crashing), and see if it works there.
Sure, let's try that.
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

Link sent.
Swamper
Grunt

Post by Swamper »

Ok, I downloaded it, but all of the menu options just say "!!ERROR!!" and I can't figure out how to do anything.
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

Did you extract everything in the zip file? !!ERROR!! means it can't find language\english.txt
Swamper
Grunt

Post by Swamper »

Ok, got it unzipped correctly. I had "use folder names" turned off for some reason and it's not displaying the error message anymore. It's still not letting me open the .dat files though, but I can open the .exe files.
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

What happens when you try to open the dat files?

edit: open viewers\Monster Bash.viewer.txt (make sure you unset read-only on it) and replace

Code: Select all

file name = "*.dat" is (
	files [all] (
			unsigned16 type
			unsigned16 compressedSize
			FixedString(31) name
			unsigned16 uncompressedSize					

data(compressedSize) file

size: compressedSize

if type = 1 then (
				set name: name + ".lvbkg"
			)

if type = 2 then (
				set name: name + ".lvfg"
			)

if type = 3 then (
				set name: name + ".bg"
			)

if type = 4 then (
				set name: name + ".fg"				
			)

if type = 5 then (
				set name: name + ".bonus"
			)

if type = 7 then (
				set name: name + ".lvact"
			)

compressed MonsterBash
	)

)
with

Code: Select all

file name = "*.dat" is (
	files [all] (
			unsigned16 type
			unsigned16 compressedSize
			FixedString(31) name
			unsigned16 uncompressedSize	
			log name + ", " + type + ", " + compressedSize + ", " + uncompressedSize

data(compressedSize) file

size: compressedSize

if type = 1 then (
				set name: name + ".lvbkg"
			)

if type = 2 then (
				set name: name + ".lvfg"
			)

if type = 3 then (
				set name: name + ".bg"
			)

if type = 4 then (
				set name: name + ".fg"				
			)

if type = 5 then (
				set name: name + ".bonus"
			)

if type = 7 then (
				set name: name + ".lvact"
			)

compressed MonsterBash
	)

)
then try to open the dat, and post the contents of wombat.log
Swamper
Grunt

Post by Swamper »

Okay, it's saying "Wombat.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created" whenever I try to open a .dat file. I replaced the code in the Monster Bash.viewer.txt and it's still not working. Wombat.log had a message saying something like "Viewer opened successfully" earlier, but when I open it now, it's blank.
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

Crap. You might have to grab them from Malvineous, without from copy of MB there's no way I track down what going on.
Swamper
Grunt

Post by Swamper »

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks for trying to help though. :)
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Here's a zip of the IMFs. If you could e-mail me one of the broken .dat files (malvineous@shikadi.net) that'd be good, because you might have a different version so it'd be nice to figure out why Wombat (and probably my extractor too) doesn't like them.
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

Yeah, I'd like that too :)