Major Stryker Prototype Released

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Lunick
Vortininja

Major Stryker Prototype Released

Post by Lunick »

Lunick is Here
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Major Stryker Prototype Released

Post by Roobar »

That only shows how dead PCKF has become :(...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Well, how dead would you rank the forums on a scale from 1 to Zombie?
out now (link) : Image
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Monty Python. ("I'm not dead yet!"...)
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I'll first quote myself from the 3DR boards (yet again):
NY00123 wrote:ok, I might not be very familiar with Major Stryker (although I did get to complete the whole game).

Nevertheless, the availability of this prototype build is really great!! :smiley:

As usual, many thanks to any individual who had a part in making this possible, if directly, and if not.
Now, there's actually something to do with Keen here, if to refer to this post of mine from the corresponding Duke4.net thread, with an emphasis on the response to Malvineous: https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9780-maj ... ntry293291

Basically, VOLUME1B.MS1 has the music tracks, including various seemingly unused tracks. I think that more than half of these tracks are possible place-holders from other games; In fact, there are 4 Keen tracks!

To anybody who's wondering, I've completed the beta today (shareware episode only is accessible). The only "borrowed" music track I recognized being in use, is Whodol from Bio Menace (BM2 title screen + boss).

As for the Keen tracks, repeating what I've said in the Duke4.net thread:
NY00123 wrote:So, I took a look at the Keen tracks, and here's what I got to say about them:
- skating.imf (Skating O'er the Ice - Keen 5's high scores table): This seems to be the same as in the Keen 5 data.
- alienate.imf (Aliens Ate My Babysitter - Keen 6's world map) and oasis.imf (Tropical Ghost Oasis - Keen 4): These are exactly the same extended versions as found in Romero's supplied IMFs. A MIDI variant of alienate.imf (the extended version) composed by Bobby Prince was also made available online at some point.

- Now, here's some *very* interesting point about wednesdy.imf. Like alienate.imf, it is an extended version, and a MIDI variant was made available. However, I think the IMF was *not* supplied by Romero at all. Either that, or it got lost on the way (which I'm doubtful). So this might be the *very first time* we all get access to the extended wednesdy.imf track in IMF form!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

NY00123 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 14:49VOLUME1B.MS1 has the music tracks, including various seemingly unused tracks
They really are unused. Searching the (uncompressed) executable for ".imf" shows that the game only plays these songs:
  • rockit.imf
  • cruising.imf
  • tomsome.imf
  • pressure.imf
  • supersnc.imf
  • torpedo.imf
  • invince.imf
or songs that are defined in the level file, which are:
  • whodo.imf (Levels 1, 2, 5, 8, 11, 12)
  • pressure.imf (Levels 3, 6, 9)
  • cruising.imf (Level 4)
  • tomsome.imf (Level 7)
  • rockit.imf (Level 10)
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 22:32 They really are unused. Searching the (uncompressed) executable for ".imf" shows that the game only plays these songs:
  • rockit.imf
  • cruising.imf
  • tomsome.imf
  • pressure.imf
  • supersnc.imf
  • torpedo.imf
  • invince.imf
Looks like all of these songs (except for invince.imf, the Apogee Fanfare proto.) can be played from the so-called "Music Test" accessible from the menus ("Music Jukebox" in the freeware release). There are 4 more slots in the music test, but they seem to be empty.