quake 2

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
memsys
Vortininja

quake 2

Post by memsys »

i've been playing quake 2 lately and thought why not make a topic about it

i found a head in a level secret area
i think it's carmac's head but i have no clue what it does
EDIT : WOW the head is 6! adrenalines !

if you have played quake 2 have you found it ?
(i used to be ME!)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Haven't played more than just tried the first level and even that was too much. It proved me again that iD has gone downhill since Keens.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Incidentally, this morning I decided to look for the Id Anthology on the torrentz :pirate and found it. Pretty cool. Several classics in there that I've never actually played.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

yea quake 2 is a true classic i havvent played it for years and installed it again

as for other id games haven't played most new ones
i played quake 3 for a VERY short time got boring real fast
i did not play quake 4
i only played the first few levels of doom3 way to fucling dark
i did not play quake : enemy territory
(i used to be ME!)
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I played through Quake II a few years ago (finally without cheating) any I think it's quite a good FPS. It's got a little bit of a storyline and some actual mission objectives (such as "destroy the pump") and even allows the player to avoid fights by dropping crates on the enemy Strogg.

The bad thing is, they killed the Dopefish in Quake II (just like they did with Keen in Doom II) >:

As for the spinning head, I haven't found it, but it is a well documented easter egg in the game. And it is said, that it's John Carmack's head.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

QUAKE 2!

I bought Quake 4 for the 360 just because they had Quake 2 with it and I couldn't find my PC version.

Quake 2, one of the best shooter games ever. It has to be the longest 3D game in levels ever made. Took me a while to beat. When I was really little I used to take my blaster out and shoot the dead bodies until they turned into "chunks of meat" just to see how much health the dead bodies had after they died.

I really enjoyed the whole game when I was little. The music was so rock-out hard style it wasn't even funny. The cutscenes not only told you the story but also were all "tactical" and stuff. I don't know, the green polygon dude was awesome to me back then. That, and the whole idea of the Strogg really made the game. They were like the borg but had a "would eat you for breakfast " kind of badness to them. Once I wrapped my head around the fact that these things were evil, it was game on from there.

Everything was cool except the strogg with the green energy shields, no head but those weird eye things instead... and hooks for arms. Those were a little too far gone and freaked me out REAL bad when I was a little kid.

Quake 2 was the game I first used a mouse to play. I never even thought the idea of using the mouse to play a game was even valid. I was using the default Duke Nukem 3D keyboard layout in Quake 2. I had to remap the entire keyboard I believe. ('W' to go forward? Why did they make it that?) It wasn't until a real gamer saw me using the keyboard that he opened my eyes to the mouse.

That and playing CTF and Deathmatch on Heat.net was "the bomb."

Yeah... I thought it was great. Better than Doom in style, graphics and theme. And made by the same people who made Commander Keen. :foot

I didn't know about the "Commander Keen is hated by ID" thing back then.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

what i want to know is why ID hate keen in the first place >:
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

jonnyspeight wrote:what i want to know is why ID hate keen in the first place >:
Probably because it's a more child-friendly, colourful, fun game. It contrasts with the dark, violent image that Id has created for themselves.

Maybe they should sell the rights to Nintendo... although they'd probably ruin it by overusing the DS touchscreen and Wiimotes. :p
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

i just beat quake 2 again this time on hard
i gotta say it wasn't that hard at all ...
the biggest disappointment was the end boss
it must be the easiest end boss in history
all you need is 1x quad damage 1x invulnerability the bfg 10k and 300 cells

activate quad damage and invulnerability then hit him with the bfg
dead boss :dead
(i used to be ME!)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

jonnyspeight wrote:what i want to know is why ID hate keen in the first place >:
I think Genius314 is right. If we look at id's game anthology, there's a few years between Commander Keen and Doom where the games grow less and less kiddy. Hovertank 3D still had bright, cartoony, 8-bit graphics, but it featured blood and more violence than previous games. After that was Catacombs 3D and finally Wolfenstein 3D, which was still silly and cartoonish but definitely not kiddy. Doom, I would say, is the real end of id's early phase and when they defined themselves as the FPS makers they are now. By Doom II, it was obvious that Commander Keen and games like it were not id's style anymore. It's an interesting transition, but it's unfortunate that the Keen series had to be cut short in the process.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

And you can start to see the less upbeat nature in id's games go down as Tom Hall was less and less involved in the games, with Doom being the point when id got the darkest and Tom Hall had almost nothing to do with the development, it was also when he quit.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

[quote="Genius314"][quote="jonnyspeight"]what i want to know is why ID hate keen in the first place >:[/quote]

Probably because it's a more child-friendly, colourful, fun game. It contrasts with the dark, violent image that Id has created for themselves.

Maybe they should sell the rights to Nintendo... although they'd probably ruin it by overusing the DS touchscreen and Wiimotes. :p[/quote]

yeah then i'll have to get a nintendo just to play one game which would cost a good hundred quid or more
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

To this day I still hope for a sequel to the original Quake. It had a much cooler atmosphere than the fairly cliche sci-fi of Quake II, mostly thanks to Romero's influence.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Sciz CT wrote:To this day I still hope for a sequel to the original Quake. It had a much cooler atmosphere than the fairly cliche sci-fi of Quake II, mostly thanks to Romero's influence.
Nope. It's just that Quake started out as the RPG "The Fight For Justice" that was announced in the Keen 1-3 Readme. At some point in development this was changed to a simple first person shooter with a wierd mix of medieval architecture (and sword-swinging knights, fantasy monsters and stuff) and some sci-fi weapons.

That change occured in the middle of the development process, so the game turned out as a strange mix of styles. Quake 2 and 4 both concentrate on the sci-fi part that was "thrown into" Quake.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:Nope. It's just that Quake started out as the RPG "The Fight For Justice" that was announced in the Keen 1-3 Readme. At some point in development this was changed to a simple first person shooter with a wierd mix of medieval architecture (and sword-swinging knights, fantasy monsters and stuff) and some sci-fi weapons.

That change occured in the middle of the development process, so the game turned out as a strange mix of styles. Quake 2 and 4 both concentrate on the sci-fi part that was "thrown into" Quake.
I've read up on Quake's development, interesting tale that it is. Just saying that I miss the H.P. Lovecraft-inspired designs that comprise the majority of the game, which Romero was largely responsible for. It was the first expansion, Scourge of Armagon, that really brought in the sci-fi elements (things like its proto-hyperblaster and biomechanical enemies). Wish they would've kept working on a different name for Quake II rather than falling back to the codename.