Age of Empires II

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Age of Empires II

Post by Benvolio »

Age of Empires II is really the only video game besides Keen that has formed an important part of my life - I would probably rank them equally in importance for me as although there is a lot more playing in AOEII, on the other hand modding Keen was my primary hobby for four of the most formative years of my life.

I recall in December 2005, one of my first solo trips into the centre of Dublin, with precisely 20 quid in pocket. AOEII Gold Edition was on the shelves of Game for 20 quid. I went up to the counter to acquire it but seemed to only have €18 after all. Naively I hoped they would see my hunger to own the game (it having been a few years since lasy borrowing CD from friends), and somehow give it to me free. Of course that didnt happen. I left, had another rummage in my pockets and found the missing €2. A couple of hours later back at home I peeled the shrinkwrap off the game thinking ominously "this marks the end of my Keen modding". Reassuringly I have released two full mods (plus a "fun pack" of unfinished projects) since then.

Due to lack of internet access, a lack of being particularly gifted, and an unfortunate tendency to play custom scenarios against AI with unrealistic amounts of resources available and "all techs" on, I have arrived into adulthood without any ability to play random maps (arabia etc) at any sort of competitive level, despite thousands of hours enjoyed playing the game. Now of course I have HD on Steam with all expansions. I play a bit with a few friends online but they are worse than me and insist on not playing against each other.

I have also played a few multiplayer games with strangers but have found the people in the lobby highly belligerent and unpleasant. I have been told to go play tetris. I have had team mates ragequit at minute 3 after shouting "FUCL ALL NOOB" (despite far too little of the game having elapsed for any poor skill to even show) just because when asked, I admit to inexperience with multiplayer.

Anyway that's my little story. There are a few mentions of AOE on pckf but not much.

Does anybody else like/love this game?
Does anybody play?
Does anybody want to play a game or two some time on HD (or Voobly which as of yet I have not installed)?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Age of Empires II

Post by Roobar »

Last year I bought the HD edition thinking I would enjoy it as it's constantly being updated by dedicated fans, but never really did.

The only RTS I'm playing these days is Loria which is relatively new, fun and kinda like WarCraft 2 with some RPG elements mixed in.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

AOE II was my first multiplayer experience with friends via LAN and I still love it. We were never super competitive and preferred comp-stomps (humans vs 4-5 AI on hardest). I've really enjoyed the HD version for the most part. My online experience has been more or less the same; my Feudal/Castle age game is really weak and I often have difficulty keeping up with more experienced RTS players. Also I find the new ai in the HD edition to be immensely more challenging to play against.

My brother and I occasionally still play against ai; if your internet holds up (the lag with ai can get abysmal), you're welcome to join us one of these times. I'm Ceilick on steam as well :)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It's kinda fun for a while building up a massive fishing fleet and forestry industry until someone wipes out my villagers because military units are boring.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I love this game! We should coordinate some online matches on here!
Awesome-Keener
Vortininja

Post by Awesome-Keener »

I use to play it a few years ago and I did a lot of multiplayers with family, now I play AOE III but it just isn't the same as AOE II.
maybe I should try reinstalling AOE II again.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Lava89 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 19:23 I love this game! We should coordinate some online matches on here!
I'd get pummeled, but I'd be interested. Of the many RTS games I played growing up (AoM, Starcraft, Starwars GB, etc..) for some reason AoE II was always the hardest for me
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Aw yeah, that game is really addicting! I remember playing it a lot back then, it's especially fun when playing with family members (we would always do humans vs. computers, just like Ceilick)! I haven't played it very much ever since my Windows 7 computer decided to not like Age of Empires II anymore, which is a shame! :( (I suspect that it might have to do with an update I did to my computer.) It'd be nice to find a way to get that game working again someday.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

surprised that Definitive edition didn't made me as addicted as before, but i enjoy it regardless, i played Aoe3 DE more. guess because of the novelty since i didn't play 3 back on the day