Several Old Apogee Games Released as Freeware

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Several Old Apogee Games Released as Freeware

Post by Rorie »

If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Interesting, thanks for info. It reads they've given the source codes as well, should check some out just for fun...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It's no good for me personally, because I don't understand the source codes, but generally it's a great thing that they released the codes into public, maybe some programmers could find something useful there...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Oh, nice. Dark Ages is nice to see. Just played through the first one a couple of months ago, now I shall line the next two up!
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

This is excellent news, now if they only made Balls of Steel available again...
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

don't except anymore freeware releases anytime soon. the company has released all discontinued games now. so the chapter of releasing old games is now over
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

I was hoping for Monster Bash...

...and Duke Nukem 4 Ever will become open source project.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Dark Ages, wow, that's the only game I've played on that list, and even when I was playing it I couldn't help but think that it looked like some kid's computer science project (even though my experience with PC gaming - and computer science courses - was next to none!). There are some files in DA that can be renamed to PCX and edited - they're the title and ending screens.

The other titles look familiar to me, from reading about them in old games catalogues that came out in like 1990 or sumpm. :lol
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

They should finally release these games as freeware, as every other normal company would do after all those years. The biggest part of those games are nearly 20 Years old, they've got guts to still want money for them.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

tulip wrote:They should finally release these games as freeware, as every other normal company would do after all those years. The biggest part of those games are nearly 20 Years old, they've got guts to still want money for them.
I'm with ya. But Apogee/3DRealms/whoever is short of money, so...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

tulip wrote:They should finally release these games as freeware, as every other normal company would do after all those years. The biggest part of those games are nearly 20 Years old, they've got guts to still want money for them.
I don't think any company would do that, they'd just die and whatever happens to the games then would just happen. :dopekeen They made the games, and they aren't so old to a few generations of gamers, I see no problem with them still selling them.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

3D realms needs to give up. :rolleyes
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

KeenRush wrote:I don't think any company would do that
Actually a lot of great games from that age are freeware, like Xargon or Tyrian and many companies have released most of their games. There are just a few who hold a tight grip to their games, like LucasArts and of course Apogee/3DR.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Galaxieretter wrote:3D realms needs to give up. :rolleyes
I don't understand this. Are you saying that they should stop selling their games just because most of them are old? And if you feel that old games aren't worth paying for, what are you doing on this forum? Don't you like old games?

Besides, they have been most generous releasing many of their discontinued games as freeware already. And if you're really cheap, you can always grab the games from any torrent site. So what's your problem?