New Jazz Jackrabbit editor

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

First up, Swedish? Good gracious!

Second up, aaah, I see now. Is this a continuation of the anti-keen message in JotJ?

Third up, you are correct, sheep are in fact, referenced many times in British literature. In THHGTG they are noted as being surprised when the sun comes up (So long and thanks for all the fish, where the series SHOULD have ended.) and in Pratchett's A hatful of sky they are noted as 'things that went baas that only knew about eating and how to make other things that went baa' In some of the Gorean books they are considered little more than moving vegetables. (Though those books are disturbing enough as it is.) It thus appears to be a common theme, sheep are idiots.

This is not true, as any farmer can tell you. They are capable of extremely stupid behavior, but so are most animals limited by instinct. They can be trained, and I have spent most of my life in reasonable proximity to pet lambs of one sort or another. (If there are sheep jokes, I shall scream!)

Finally, is this Wowbagger the infinitely prolonged though? The Paperface mod one doesn't sound a bit like him. (And he has a bazooka, another difference.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yes, the infinetly prolonged. I think he and Bazooka Wowbagger have something in common: They both seem a bit like a jack-ass to me.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Hey, it's pretty awesome to see a new Jazz Jackrabbit 1 editor. I'd try it out and maybe make some levels if I still had the full version of the game.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

<.<

>.>

That can be arranged. (Besides, it works with the shareware version and both HHs, indeed, shareware compatible levels are preferred.)
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I've noticed that there seems to be some sort of pretended or real Jazz Jackrabbit/Commander Keen rivalry. Is this an in-joke, or real, or some combination of the two? How did it start?
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

I don't know about that, but there was a mention of Keen in Jill of the Jungle, if I recall correctly.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Deltamatic wrote:I've noticed that there seems to be some sort of pretended or real Jazz Jackrabbit/Commander Keen rivalry. Is this an in-joke, or real, or some combination of the two? How did it start?
I see it as an in-joke.
Apogee and Epic were rivals at the time, and teased each others games and stuff. I like both Keen and Jazz!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Ah, OK. I wondered if they were directly competing with each other or something.
Violet CLM
Grunt

Post by Violet CLM »

I don't think that the lack of documentation should be too big of a deterrent, by the way. For the simple purposes of just editing layouts of existing levels, without adding new enemies or anything, J1E is quite easy to understand and it's not very easy at all to mess things up. Getting into more in-depth modification can take a little more time, but I (and I assume Newspaz) would be quite happy to take any questions, however specific. I haven't toyed with the sound or custom movements yet but everything else feels quite natural at this point.
Newspaz
Grunt

Post by Newspaz »

For those interested, I released a new version. But because so few people are using it , I'm not really interested in writing extensive documentation. I've been talking to Levellass and I'm thinking of jumping ship and building a Keen editor instead.
Last edited by Newspaz on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

What sort of Keen editor would this be? Vorticons? Galaxy? Dreams?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

As far as I am aware, Galaxy.

(I checked, Keen:Next IS a horrible memory hog!)
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Thank you. If I were somewhat younger and had more time, I would definitely jump at the chance to make something with your tool: I was and am a big fan of JJ1 (I like it more than the sequel, actually). As it is, honesty compels me to say that I probably won't be doing that (never say never, though).

Just a quick question: Would it allow one to change the actual graphics, or just rearrange the existing things?
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Newspaz
Grunt

Post by Newspaz »

Snortimer wrote:Just a quick question: Would it allow one to change the actual graphics, or just rearrange the existing things?
As it is now, you can only create new tilesets. Levellass has a nice tool for importing other kinds of graphics though.
Violet CLM
Grunt

Post by Violet CLM »

There's a new version out, with support for editing the bonus level layouts. Newspaz has also completed the biggest JJ1 levelpack to date (a whole episode's worth), showing off how much stuff can be modified.