Anyone else remember Elfland?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Aroenai
Vortininja

Anyone else remember Elfland?

Post by Aroenai »

This is probably the only pc game I remember buying when I was a little kid, the power went out at the Walmart when I picked it out.

I just found out that the original author ported Elfland to Windows last year, you can pick it up for $4.95 here: http://www.bogturtlegames.com/Minis/Elfland.html

For anyone else with the dos version, it runs great in dosbox but you need to set sbtype=sbpro1 and oplmode=opl3 to get digital sound (it uses pc speaker otherwise) and music.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Didn't played this, but looks kinda keenish. I might try it.
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

I've seen screens of it before... I might have tried it a long time ago, but either it didn't work or I wasn't interested in it. I might try it again later though.
Last edited by Bonevelous on Tue May 12, 2009 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

I played the heck out of it. :)
I loved the incessant cheesy music, and the sound effects that sounded like they were made by someone who couldn't afford real sound effects but had a mic and his own voice.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Never played it, gonna play it.

EDIT: crashes on Wine, guess I'll play it in Windows later. Or maybe the DOS version in DOSBox.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Yeah, I remember Elfland. Only ever had the 1st episode, but from what I saw online the 2nd one was released for free. :)
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Oh my god!

Once up at a middle-of-nowhere mall by my grandmother's place I went into a privately owned game store. They had a LOT of old computer games but the best things they had were a few CDs that had of lots and lots of shareware and freeware dos games. (Labled as 250+ DOS games or such.) I have since lost the CDs but that's how I found "Elfworld."

I played it for like an hour and beat the shareware... I showed my sister. We made fun of this game for like 4 years after that.

This game is not worth $5. :)
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

I was always amused by the name of the girl elf, Elfita.

"Elf eater". (In NZ we generally don't pronounce the terminal "r" like most of you North American peeps do, so we'd say "eater" as "eatuh".)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I played Elfland through many times. A great game, with as nice an atmosphere as a Keen game. Sometime in the past year or two, I finally got a copy of the sequel emailed to me by Carl Erikson. Got as far as the giant bird off to the right and died. Shall have to retry sometime in the near future.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Oh good god! I remember seeing this on my copy of PC-SIG 12!
(now THATS old-school!)