EvilStar

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

EvilStar

Post by Dynamo »

Hey there, I do not know if this is the correct area to post such a thread (and IF I can post such a thread), but anyways, I wanted to talk about a Doom 2 mod me and some friends of mine are making. It is called EvilStar.

http://i44.tinypic.com/292tfg1.jpg (The current titlepic)

This mod is meant to be a sequel to Doom2: the storyline is the following.

After the defeat of the icon of sin and the consequential defeat of the demons, humans went back to earth to try to rebuild it. Unfortunately, most of the earth was devastated and certain areas were almost like hell itself. Seeing that rebuilding earth was going to be nearly impossible, the UAC, Union Aereospace Corporations, decided to build a time machine to go back in time to prevent the demon invasion from ever happening. So they build a complex somewhere in the mountains of Europe, to start building the time machine. You, the hero who saved earth and humanity from total destruction, are called to be part of the armed forces who guarded this complex. As time goes on, the time machine gets completed, and UAC decides to do an experiment to see if it works. They send a marine back in time (2 hours), when it was raining, to see if he could see the rain. The experiment succedes and UAC is ready to send a marine back in time to phobos. Everything's ready, the base is very well defended: Tanks, bunkers, marines, helicopters, and even an auto-destruction system to prevent anything to happen. You are outside with some friends, but you are quite nervous and want to see the experiment directly. You enter the base and go to the room where the time machine is. The experiment has started, and the marine is ready to get sent to phobos. But suddendly something happens!! It seems that the demons he killed on phobos used the portal spawned by the time machine to reach the base. Suddendly hordes of demons come out of nowhere. To prevent the invasion to go any further, the base is going to be locked and destroyed. You try to run for your life before the auto-destruction begins. But when you are about to go out of the base, you get arounded by some baron of hells. You had no weapons at the moment, and you get slaughtered without mercy.

Suddendly you open your eyes and find yourself laying on the ground. "Thank God, it was just a dream!" You say. But when you look around you notice that this is not your room. You're laying in a giant pool of blood with torches around. It seems that you... died, and went to hell. What happened to the base? Did they manage to stop the invasion before it was too late or did the demons preval? You will never know if you don't try to find your way back home. A new odissey has begun. And if you thought saving earth was hard, you haven't seen anything yet...

Well this is the garg storyline I made up during the latin lesson at school because I had nothing else to do. (sorry for my terrible english, I'm sure there are many mistakes there).

But anyways, what will evilstar feature apart from the new story?

Evilstar includes (and will include, since at this time it is only a beta)...

- More than 40 new maps
- More than 50 new monsters
- New weapons
- New items and powerups
- Realistic maps unlike Doom 2
- Doom 2-like gameplay but with lot of additions, including jumping, crouching, swimming, flying with jetpacks, and much more.
- Intense gameplay, hard but not frustrating.
- Puzzles
- Snow, rain...
- ZDoom and Skulltag effects.
- And much more!

Currently there are only 25 maps (and some of them are unfinished).

Some screenshots:

http://i43.tinypic.com/352m3o1.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/dca1oi.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/6s7874.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/r9qydg.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/e6q1qp.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/1yamhf.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/5v5cn9.jpg

---------------------DOWNLOAD LINK------------------------
http://www.mediafire.com/?mm2mq1z22mz (Beta 29)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Note that in order to play this mod you need the original doom2.wad

-INSTALLATION-

1) Make sure you have doom2.wad
2) Download skulltag (http://www.skulltag.com/) it is REQUIRED in order to play the mod correctly.
3) Download EvilStar.
4) Put skulltag, doom2.wad and evilstar in the same folder
5) Drag The EvilStar PK3 file into skulltag.exe
6) Play!

Note: there is no deathmatch yet.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU ARE PLAYING WITH OPENGL! THE MOD WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY WITHOUT IT!

If you need any help or have any comment about the mod, let me know! Enjoy!

This wad is being developed by Omegamax (project leader), me, morpheus and doom-ita. We're all from Italy. A few other mappers also contributed with two maps.
Last edited by Dynamo on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:20, edited 3 times in total.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Re: EvilStar

Post by Galaxieretter »

Apparently I can't get this mod to work.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Judging by the screens, you've done good work guys. I might try this one day.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Skulltag? No ZDOOM support? =(
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Re: EvilStar

Post by Dynamo »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Skulltag? No ZDOOM support? =(
Nope.
Galaxieretter wrote:Apparently I can't get this mod to work.
What's the problem exactly?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Nothing, I just didn't run the mod correctly.

This game is REALLY, REALLY hard! I love it!
Like really... it's maybe just a little... too hard. FOUR Cyberdemons at ONCE?! :dead
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Galaxieretter wrote:Nothing, I just didn't run the mod correctly.

This game is REALLY, REALLY hard! I love it!
Like really... it's maybe just a little... too hard. FOUR Cyberdemons at ONCE?! :dead

Oh, that's nothing : P Cyberdemons are met as regular monsters and they are pretty easy to kill. Note that the game gets harder and harder every level : P But yeah I admit the first level is quite hard for a first level.

Also, many maps have bosses. They're a lot more deadly than cyberdemons. : P
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

So I noticed... :bloody
I just got to level 10, "Oblivion and You..."

And I thought the OTHER levels were hard! :|

I don't know how much help I can be, but if you need someone else to help you along with levels or graphics or whatever I can lend a hand.

(I raised the image levels so you can see it.)
This is DOOM Not RotT. :rolleyes
I had to "cheat" by this part... and by "cheat" I mean put on "IDDQD" and "IDCLIP" and kill the two red-hellknights at either side... then it was just trial and error until I could get the switch. I have no problem with the rest of the levels but you could of at least put a little bigger platforms or put very long sectors to the bottom...

But if you would have done that then they could "IDCLIP" their way to the switch. :rolleyes Which you can do anyway and skip to the end of the level.

I think the problem was that I still had "high jump" from level 1. While it totally helped me, legally, cheat during the "Icon of Sin" level I think it was a hindrance here.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Galaxieretter wrote:So I noticed... :bloody
I just got to level 10, "Oblivion and You..."

And I thought the OTHER levels were hard! :|
Haha, yeah, that one is insanely hard. map11 is an unfinished map, so you'll have to skip it.
Galaxieretter wrote:I don't know how much help I can be, but if you need someone else to help you along with levels or graphics or whatever I can lend a hand.

(I raised the image levels so you can see it.)
This is DOOM Not RotT. :rolleyes
I had to "cheat" by this part... and by "cheat" I mean put on "IDDQD" and "IDCLIP" and kill the two red-hellknights at either side... then it was just trial and error until I could get the switch. I have no problem with the rest of the levels but you could of at least put a little bigger platforms or put very long sectors to the bottom...

But if you would have done that then they could "IDCLIP" their way to the switch. :rolleyes Which you can do anyway and skip to the end of the level.

I think the problem was that I still had "high jump" from level 1. While it totally helped me, legally, cheat during the "Icon of Sin" level I think it was a hindrance here.
Yeah you indeed should have dropped the high jump rune since map02. Anyways, that part isn't that hard really, but you have to kill all the monsters if you want to press the switch. Don't worry however, there aren't so many parts like that.

Btw I'm glad you played 9 maps already... some of them are going to be revisited (like map03 which sucks). At what map are you now?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Well technically I'm at map 11 but as you said it's incomplete. But I do like the style of it so far. I didn't remember the level warp cheat offhand and after level 10 I NEEDED to take a break. Those Death Knights... The dudes with the shields.

While I do like how they are invincible when they are behind their shields, they hide behind them way too much and even if you hit them from behind they are invincible. In the last... hoard :dead I killed everyone but the two Death Knights. (They had their shields up during the 'time stop' :( ) So I had them fight the Spider Mastermind which was still alive. Even from BEHIND my BFG blasts were bouncing off. It kind of pissed me off but I understand if the engine won't support making them vulnerable from different angles. I ended up with 3 health left for the cyberdemon...

And there is no way in "hell" that I'm getting rid of this high jump. It was my lifeline in "Oblivion and You." It helped during the silver cyberdemon level. (letting me get more air than I would for dodging the shockwaves) I didn't see any powerups since the first level besides a "strength" which I would rather not have...

Besides, I don't remember what level it was but I think it was 4... There was a "pit" of brown flesh that had a high jump in it. So even if I had ditched it I would of gotten it back.

If you want the player to ditch the almost necessary powerup I suggest you put something else down like "rage", "spread", or "regeneration" to make it worthwhile / necessary to complete a level perhaps. I don't see how you are supposed to do some of these levels and battles without the high jump.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Galaxieretter wrote:Well technically I'm at map 11 but as you said it's incomplete. But I do like the style of it so far. I didn't remember the level warp cheat offhand and after level 10 I NEEDED to take a break. Those Death Knights... The dudes with the shields.

While I do like how they are invincible when they are behind their shields, they hide behind them way too much and even if you hit them from behind they are invincible. In the last... hoard :dead I killed everyone but the two Death Knights. (They had their shields up during the 'time stop' :( ) So I had them fight the Spider Mastermind which was still alive. Even from BEHIND my BFG blasts were bouncing off. It kind of pissed me off but I understand if the engine won't support making them vulnerable from different angles. I ended up with 3 health left for the cyberdemon...

And there is no way in "hell" that I'm getting rid of this high jump. It was my lifeline in "Oblivion and You." It helped during the silver cyberdemon level. (letting me get more air than I would for dodging the shockwaves) I didn't see any powerups since the first level besides a "strength" which I would rather not have...

Besides, I don't remember what level it was but I think it was 4... There was a "pit" of brown flesh that had a high jump in it. So even if I had ditched it I would of gotten it back.

If you want the player to ditch the almost necessary powerup I suggest you put something else down like "rage", "spread", or "regeneration" to make it worthwhile / necessary to complete a level perhaps. I don't see how you are supposed to do some of these levels and battles without the high jump.
Well, in the next version we hope to make sure that once the player enters a new level he will lose all his powerups/weapons/ammo.

One map has that script already. Also, did you check out map31? There was a secret exit at map04 in the main exit room. Check it out if you haven't but play it with pistol only or it will be no fun. Check out map32 and map33 as well (there is currently no way to reach them without cheats for now)
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Ah I figured as much when playing through as I kept seeing weapons I already picked up.

After a while I started level warping because a few of the levels were incomplete. I did so until level 21 or something where it put me in the regular Doom2 levels.

I'll have to check them out.
Remmirath
Grunt

Post by Remmirath »

Glad you've enjoyed this mod so far. :)

The next version will include the revised MAP03 (it's currently under heavy rebuilding), and hopefully an expanded version of MAP11.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Did you forget your password, CKeen666? :P If not, welcome Morpheus! :christmas
Remmirath
Grunt

Post by Remmirath »

No, i'm not CKeen666. :P

I'm Morpheus, a Doom modder mainly active in the ZDoom community, and i've released a map on /idgames, the big mod storage section of Doomworld.

Currently i'm designing MAP22 for Evilstar, and it's not realistic at all. :P