Noah in Wolfenstein Scandal?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Noah in Wolfenstein Scandal?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM ... annel_page

Skip over to 13:07 and you'll see the game. Totally bizarre :eek I never even knew about this. Just... wow. I am stunned :stunned
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ahhh yes...Super 3D Noah's Ark...from what I heard (so I could be wrong), it was an unlicensed SNES game that was made by Wisdom Tree after id software lent them their Wolf3D engine.

Why did they loan them their engine? To get back at Nintendo for the severe censoring of Wolf3D for the SNES, back when Nintendo censored everyone, like Mortal Kombat, which gave them the "kiddie" label.

Not that a company which has a plumber as their mascot, who runs around in a colorful fantasy land saving a princess over and over again doesn't deserve the kiddie label....

And NOT that Nintendo is kiddie, but it sure wasn't hard to figure out why they got the label in the first place....
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Lava89 wrote:And NOT that Nintendo is kiddie, but it sure wasn't hard to figure out why they got the label in the first place....
I wouldn't call them kiddie, more like "family oriented." Their games are clean enough to let a little kid play them, yet not cheesy enough to be embarrassing for an older person to play.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Genius314 wrote:
I wouldn't call them kiddie, more like "family oriented." Their games are clean enough to let a little kid play them, yet not cheesy enough to be embarrassing for an older person to play.
I agree, and I think being that Mario is pretty much ingrained in alot of people's childhood (yet oddly enough not mine, I grew up with Keen and then Sonic), they may be a little less scornful of it. And if you look at Super Mario Bros 1 and Super Mario 64, both of those were considered cutting edge games of their time.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Pretty hilarious that a console with so many of the hardest games of all time (NES. And this includes the SMB games) would be deemed "kiddy" :stoned
Ahh... but I'm too young. Was it kiddy back then? I mean, it was pretty much the only console you could get your hands on other than obscure things like sega master. Maybe because it was a toy, parents just called it a kiddy thing. I don't think nintendo got the scornful kiddy label until it had to compete with sony's bloody resident evil games and big-breasted lara croft and such. (But I was still loyal! I may have been 11, but I didn't care about the mean things my 15 year old cousin had to say about it! :p )
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Pretty hilarious that a console with so many of the hardest games of all time (NES. And this includes the SMB games) would be deemed "kiddy" :stoned
Super Mario Bros. 1-3
Contra
MEGAMAN!!!! :x

And actually pretty much every other game made for the NES. I guess most parents don't consider mercilessly difficult games "kiddy..."
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I don't think nintendo got the scornful kiddy label until it had to compete with sony's bloody resident evil games and big-breasted lara croft and such.
As I said before, Nintendo got the label after censoring a number of games for the SNES, especially Mortal Kombat. Also, matters didn't help much when Sega started aiming the Genesis for "hardcore" gamers and comparing themselves to Nintendo. Sega helped fuel the "kiddie" flame with Mortal Kombat censorship by NOT censoring it when Nintendo did, to score more points with "hardcore" gamers.

Like you said, all that was before was the NES...and of course the Master System and Atari 7800...and that was probably the only time we'll see one console be the obvious top dog...

So in actuality it wasn't Sony that brought on the label, but it was SEGA. Yet Nintendo still didn't have to go ahead and censor games. Especially when Sega already started the "Nintendo is kiddy" campaign, so they just threw the ball in Sega's court.

And I wouldn't say the Playstation's aim was for hardcore gamers, I always thought Sony meant to aim for casual gamers, and it was reinforced even more with the PS2 and the DVD drive, with the PS2 you didn't buy it necessarily for games. I don't think we had another "hardcore" console till the Xbox, since the Saturn dropped the ball and the Dreamcast focused on the hardware and capabilities.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

The video doesn't work for me at the moment, but I know what game you're talking about -- I saw it years ago when I walked past some Christian book store. (Never played it...)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

It wasn't exactly "kiddie", it's just that things got censored and toned down like fucl. I mean, just look at Wolfenstein 3D...
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

That's crazy. I have the SNES Wolfenstein 3D and it is really junky. Half of the levels are taken out.

I especially like the "Noah's Arc 3D." In order to spoof the SNES cartige you need to plug a "real" one in overtop.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Re:

Post by ZidaneA »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:THEY ARE STILL SELLING IT!!!

OMG!
Does that mean that people ARE STILL BUYING IT??!!!! :barf
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

No, WAY!

$7.50 They are selling it for more than what 3D Realms is selling Duke Nukem for!
:crazy
website wrote:Unfortunately at this time this game is not compatible with Windows Vista
You know this page has been updated FAIRLY recently because they mention Vista... so that's what? At least 2007?

Jesus teams up with Commander Keen in this ultamate outer space adventure EVER! [size=0]sic[/size]
Apparently when outer space travel is a reality people still won't have explained the Universe in a fathomable way.

Doesn't that totally break the Prime Directive?

Episode 4: On the desert planet, SOH JIN, Lt. Stu must preach to the heathens of the Order of Zinglon against the perils of space fruit.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I see no Commander Keen on that site, where is he?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

What? So it IS Super 3D Noah's Ark? I've been calling it Super Noah's Ark 3D >: