Duke Nukem Episode 1 TASing and Decompiling

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
AkillezII
Meep

Duke Nukem Episode 1 TASing and Decompiling

Post by AkillezII »

Hello!

I was invited to make this post by K1n9_Duk3 a few months ago. (I guess I check my youtube about as often as he does haha)

I've been speedrunning the game for about a year now and I've done some dabbling in JPC-RR to TAS. I've started teaming up with CrutchCorn to tackle more in depth analysis of the game!

I'd love to chat about your experiences with dn1 and DOS TASing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a glitch I found by double binding and mashing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQM0rd3rt0g

-AkillezII
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Duke Nukem Episode 1 TASing and Decompiling

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Welcome to the forum!

I don't consider myself a speedrunner and I have zero experience with tool-assisted speedruns, but I do know quite a lot about Duke Nukem 1 and its code. I can't (and I don't want to) explain everything, that would take way too long. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Here are some of the key points that would be interesting for speedrunning or other challenges:
  • Duke Nukem uses absolutely no random number generation at all, everything is completely deterministic.
  • The game only allows 3 enemy projectiles active at the same time. When there are no slots left, no additinal shots will be spawned.
  • The "random" score for picking up radios and flags isn't random, it just changes every frame, cycling through 100, 500, 2000 and 5000 points.
  • The state of a key may change during a frame (due to a keyboard interrupt), but interrupts are disabled while the game updates Duke and draws everything that appears behind Duke. That includes the slot for the robohand, background sprites, cameras, exit doors, notes, Proton's monitor, elevators, keycard slots and keyholes. But this only applies to keyboard controls, not joystick/gamepad controls.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net