Monkey Island 1 & 2 white label

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.

Which is better?

Monkey Island 1
60%
Monkey Island 2
40%

Total votes: 10

Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Monkey Island 1 & 2 white label

Post by Rorie »

expensive purchase. cost me AU$89.59 but i'm still very happy with it as this is very hard to find can only be found on ebay & from the u.k so australians are always going to pay more to buy stuff from the u.k. what it is the white label collection & what i am told is that both versions of monkey island are updated talkie versions with speech

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... gory=11047

i tried to find a wiki entry no luck, now i just have to wait for it to arrive

if you don't want to buy this. i checked out the bit torrent sites & this can be downloaded but don't ask me for the link it's illegal
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Nice score. I must get back into the Monkey Island series sometime. I've only ever played the first one, and never managed to beat it.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I used to be an active member of the Monkey Island community and I can assure you,

You got ripped off.

$90 AU. Ouch. I can positively state that there was NEVER a talkie SMI OR MI2. (Or if there is it was made since 2002. And knowing Lucas Arts that is unlikely and didn't happen.) That "white" collection looks to me like the CD version of SMI and MI2 that came with CMI.

The CD version had both Monkey Island games with an installer and launcher for windows 95. I can't remember... but I think the actual games themselves were Dos so you were screwed if you tried running them in '95 anyway. (But now we have DosBox.) There isn't much of a difference between the Dos version and the CD version except the 'log joke' has been removed from the first game.

That and both games use the 'updated' heh UI.

I don't know what that big book is in the photo, perhaps a strategy guide? And I see it has game manuals but other than that it simply looks like the CD version that Lucas Arts has been selling on their website for like $15. (Although, a quick look on their page determined that they no longer sell that game.)

Now I have been out of the Monkey Island scene for a long while so I don't know of ANY recent developments on those games. (The cancellation of Full Throttle 2 made me give up hope in Lucasarts.) So if indeed there IS a talkie version let me know.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

i don't really care if they aren't talkies at all. i just wanted the 2 monkey island games legally as i had been using illegal copies of these 2 games & i was prepared to pay anything to have these games legally as you can't buy them anywhere else but ebay & like i said since this was a u.k auction aussies are always going to pay more in u.k pounds that's the way it's always been between the australian dollar & english pounds
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

You should've looked further before buying this one, though. You might have been able to strike a better bargain!
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

i doubt it this is a collectors item
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Well, that beside the point: maybe you could have gotten it for a better price? Since it's not even a collector's item...

Well, I'm glad you have it though! Having fun right now, I'm guessing! :)
adurdin
Grunt

Post by adurdin »

Great stuff rorie! They're another two of my favourite games. But forget dosbox -- run them through ScummVM for the best experience.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

the game in french & i can't understand it. if the seller won't get me a refund i'm going to have to leave him my 1st negative feedback. however paypal will reimburse me as i have cleary been ripped off. anyway does anyone here want a french copy of monkey island 1 & 2? give me a price & i'll consider it
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Seriously, you could also try to learn a bit French.
Aaaah, not the bees!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I played FF5 about halfthrough in French. It just isn't the same... I got hopelessly stuck at some point because I didn't understand where I had to go. :o
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Heh... FF5 is confusing enough in ENGLISH...

Yeah Rorie, what did I say earlier?
Me wrote:You got ripped off.
Rorister wrote:however paypal will reimburse me as i have cleary been ripped off.
:)
I would maybe think about buying it in French if I KNEW french and if I couldn't just download the french version off of the one french abandonware site.

Edit: At LEAST you are getting your money back.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

the seller seems very friendly. so yes hopefully i will get my money back after i fork out postage to send it back to him
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

the seller says that he will replace it with an english version i just have to send it back to him
Up yours Fleexy!
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

MI is the original, so I had to vote it, although really I think maybe I like MI2 more.
This is one of the questions that has no right answer, for me anyway.
It would've been cool if we had a MI game to conclude the trilogy, because although I don't dislike the later MI games, really they aren't so much MI games.
Well, not classic MI games, they're their own thing now.
Retodon8
Sheep happens