Who would have thought 3D is better than 2D? Check MI2 in 3D

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Who would have thought 3D is better than 2D? Check MI2 in 3D

Post by Roobar »

I was amazed by this fan project of a Monkey Island 2 in 3D! And this video proves that 3D can be better than 2D :). Although it may remain only as a test project of how MI2 would look in 3D, this still looks great non the less. This guy is using some interesting voodoo technology to recreate 2D scenes in crytek engine. Lucas arts should take notes if they're planning on recreating MI2 :)

Check out his latest video that shows some awesomeness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bInZ7_y4Lw&hd=1
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

That looks *REALLY* good but there are two small problems...

First is that, that isn't "Monkey Island" but is "Scabb island." In fact "Monkey Island" doesn't make an appearance in MI2...

Second is that it only looks like they recreated two scenes, that is Captain Dread's ship and the Voo-Doo lady's hut. (Which isn't entered through a voo-doo skull in a coffin...)

But other than that, it looks really neat. Too bad we don't see inside Captain Dread's ship or in the shipwrecked city. What they did recreate looks spectacular though...

Unfortunately it looks as if Lucas Arts is forgoing the high-budget good artwork quality we saw in the 90's and is going for more of a quick buck. (The early monkey island games were practically a work of art themselves.)
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Galaxieretter wrote:Second is that it only looks like they recreated two scenes, that is Captain Dread's ship and the Voo-Doo lady's hut. (Which isn't entered through a voo-doo skull in a coffin...)
It is in the MI2 version I played. :confused
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

They didn't have that in the 3D version.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

3D (Halo, Duke Nukum, Spyro) COULD be better than 2D (Space invaders, Tetris, Jazz Jackrabbit)

I'm sorry? Did I miss something? Sure Keen is the greatest of all time, but that's just because he's so awesome.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote:3D (Halo, Duke Nukum, Spyro) COULD be better than 2D (Space invaders, Tetris, Jazz Jackrabbit)
I honestly don't know if you're saying those 3D games are better than the 2D ones or saying (in an insulting, sarcastic way) that all those 2D games far exceed the 3D ones. All six of those games are pretty even in quality to me... as in trite :p (Duke3D and Jazz really border between being "great" and "regular")
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

LL: I'm not talking about Keen. And by 2d i mean using traditional art drawing methods instead of 3d modeling. I hope that's clear. I don't know why we should even discuss this.

There are certain amount of games (mostly adventures) with outstanding art and visuals that we just love and where 3d could hardly surpass them (they will if they're made by dream works or pixar;)). For example Monkey Island 3, Vampyre Story, Whispered World, Heroes 3, Braid and lots more that I can't think of right now. Yeah, they can be remade with great 3d effects and models, but it won't be 2d anymore. Heroes 3 vs Heroes 5 is a great example of why 3d is not better than 2d.

Or 2d where the visuals shouldn't be that great, but unique, like plenty of indie games such as Blueberry Garden or Cave Story. There are of course great looking 3d titles too, but that can't compare to the true traditional 2d art.

It's a thin red line here. The history got many examples of bad 3d sequels and remakes as well as some good, so don't dig up this and enjoy the video.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aaah, NOW I get you. I was thinking compairision with early 90's games, which are a whole different kettle of fish. (Monkey Island 3 is a classic now? Amazing!)

I remember reading of 'Sonic syndrome' being the failure of developers to adapt a game from 2D to 3D, and they're so, so right. But Halo 3 takes a lot of beating, graphics-wise, and that was my mistake.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Monkey Island 3 was a classic the moment it was made. Never has there been a better game of incredible artwork, animation and sheer hilarity wrapped up in a nice and neat pirate story package.
Heck, in ANY kind of a package.

No... You have to duel someone. So you choose the BANJO...
You need to get a tattoo of a map off of someone's back, so you try and use the knife...
"A Pirate I was Meant to Be!"

Need I go on?

Sadly, I believe that Monkey Island also had this... "Sonic Syndrome." EMI, is all I got to say. But to be honest, was Sonic even really that good in 2D? It's art was pathetic.

Halo... had different problems... More game play issues than graphical ones...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Galaxieretter wrote:Sadly, I believe that Monkey Island also had this... "Sonic Syndrome." EMI, is all I got to say. But to be honest, was Sonic even really that good in 2D? It's art was pathetic.
I consider it to be "stylized" :crazy
The first two games were kinda cutesy, but at the same time cool. The third one improved on it's graphics tremendously but it seemed to go all cool and no cute. The minute it went 3d.... yeesh :barf
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

[quote="Galaxieretter"
No... You have to duel someone. So you choose the BANJO...
You need to get a tattoo of a map off of someone's back, so you try and use the knife...[/quote]

Dude! Maybe you want to give us some spoiler warnings or something? I am playing that game right now and I really dislike any kind of spoilers. Gee thanks.. :pirate
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Whaaat? You're playing it right now? :crazy Oh well, better later than never :). But if you don't want any spoilers, you better disconnect your internet, because I won't tell you that **** ******* * **** **** *****
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

The Crysis/Farcry engine is a very nice looking one, but... I remember when games were like, distant objects looked blocky and close-up objects had smoother detail. Nowadays, it's the other way around.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I guess that's the price for today's hardware that gamers must pay. I mean a lot of people are still with low budged pcs, outdated processors and graphic cards, so the games must run somehow for them too. I think for games with megatextures (such as Rage) this won't be the case. And direct x 11 is coming too :). However right now it's a tough decision for me to choose my next card. Wherever it will be from Ati's 5xxx series or from Nvidia's 3xx series. Ati ones will be first, but nvidia's will be better. And I really want to change my crappy one.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Galaxieretter wrote:Second is that it only looks like they recreated two scenes, that is Captain Dread's ship and the Voo-Doo lady's hut. (Which isn't entered through a voo-doo skull in a coffin...)
They? It's just one person, one fan, who recreated these two scenes... That's pretty darn impressive if you ask me.
Wow look at me I'm lurking